Renoise Sample Editor use as Synthesizer?

Hi i used before reason and fl Studio. Now i changed ti Renoise. Only notes i Draw sometimes in fl Studio if i Start new melody.
Few days Ago i Saw on youtube "renoise is a Synthesizer too " i try it to Draw in the sample Editor (saw, Square,Sinus) and it works good:) my question: do i realy Need vstis?? Or its Enought to use the sample Editor as synth? What is possible und what not? I used before : harmor, harmless and toxic biohazzard on fl and Malström and Thor on reason.

You can surely do many synth like sounds by using/drawing single cycle waveforms. Check out this bass tutorial from my blog as an example.

But you can also do an endless amount of sample based sounds by using Renoise sampler, CDP tool, morphsynth, padsynth, akaizer etc. etc. I’ve written many sound design tutorials covering these techniques if you need inspiration!

Ok is it possible to rebuild my Own Track from 2007 in renoise with Same tunes without plugins with the Draw Editor?

The sampler in Renoise has great abilities. You can do a lot of crazy stuff with it. But it has one big handicap: the limitation of maximum 12 samples per note. You can do awesome things with so called “single cycle” waveforms. I did awesome stuff with other samplers (VST’s, other DAW’s etc.) with just single cycle waveforms. But the limitation of 12 samples per note is a big hurdle.

Renoise Sample Editor use as Synthesizer?

Yes

do i realy Need vstis??

No

is it possible

Yes

the limitation of 12 samples per note is a big hurdle.

Not really

the limitation of 12 samples per note is a big hurdle.

Not really

For some more complex things it’s better to have the ability to load more than 12 samples per note. E.g. if you want create multiwave stuff with single cycles like e.g. a Supersaw. A supersaw needs 7 waveforms, each waveform is slightly detuned against each other. These are the first 7. Then you need 5 to 10 duplicates of each of the 7 waveforms with different phase start points to create the round robin notes to get that “free running oscillator” feeling, which is important for a supersaw, so that it sounds as much authentic as possible like the original. So there you now have up to 35 or even 70 waveforms per note running…

And another thing, wich would be great to have in the sampler is “zone grouping”. In most other samplers you can create zones. Each note can have more than one zone. Each zone with different samples and/or settings and each zone also can contain multiple samples.

Not entirely sure what sort of super computer you are running ? 70 samples per note, that is basically 70 notes of polyphony for one actual played note, while Renoises sampler is good for a bunch of stuff, what you want t do is not it’s forte and never will be.

I have to ask though, why exactly are you trying to recreate a synth in such a way when so many synths are actually available that wont need 70 notes of polyphony to play one note, and will actually sound like a super saw.

Then again it has to be said, i doubt anybody is going to be able to tell the difference between a 5 to 7 note supersaw with double Osc detuned or Chorused VS a 70 note version in the mix anyway, well nobody human anyway.

I’ve composed songs with nothing but tiny fragments of other people’s music and DSP’s. You don’t need anything but solid music library and renoise to make good music. On the other hand, without VST’s and hardware or real instruments (guitar/vocals/piano) I lose a huge “fun” factor. It’s very tedious to reconstruct my own beats and melodies out of other people’s music.

Not entirely sure what sort of super computer you are running ? 70 samples per note, that is basically 70 notes of polyphony for one actual played note, while Renoises sampler is good for a bunch of stuff, what you want t do is not it’s forte and never will be.

I have to ask though, why exactly are you trying to recreate a synth in such a way when so many synths are actually available that wont need 70 notes of polyphony to play one note, and will actually sound like a super saw.

Then again it has to be said, i doubt anybody is going to be able to tell the difference between a 5 to 7 note supersaw with double Osc detuned or Chorused VS a 70 note version in the mix anyway, well nobody human anyway.

No needs, rhight. Let’s see it just as a fun factor.

Actually, you can have more than 12 samples per note using phrases in sample number mode, set NNA accordingly.

No needs, rhight. Let’s see it just as a fun factor.

Wow, you think that creating a multi sampled super saw synth with 70 samples per key (70x88 =6160 samples to cover the entire range) is fun

Now i am starting to understand why tracker users are so against piano rolls, hard/pointless work is their fun.

Yup, the people of the good old tracker scene are a league of their own. :badteeth:

this is made from three squiggles drawn in the sample editor

i don’t even need FREE vsts anymore, waste of time installing them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAA-muSV4Ng

Thats very cool if that is the vibe you are going for, for a lot of people those sorts of sounds just aren’t going to even compare to what they are getting out o even a very basic VSTi.

nice work

like that monochrome Tango skin too, care to share?

Wow, you think that creating a multi sampled super saw synth with 70 samples per key (70x88 =6160 samples to cover the entire range) is fun

Now i am starting to understand why tracker users are so against piano rolls, hard/pointless work is their fun.

Haha. I live for tedium! It’s keeps my wandering mind inside my head (at least temporarily).

I really enjoyed renaming1000’s of wav files and pasting them into specific folders I had meticulously organized. I really got into this F2>Rename file>tab (repeat for entire folder contents)>Ctrl A>Alt Tab>Ctrl V>Alt Tab>Backspace to parent folder/Choose new folder/Rinse & repeat. Slight variations on that concept, maybe you get the gist?
I am kinda having flashbacks now :badteeth: , kinda feel bad that I found a batch file renamer.

In an another Forum someone Write, sample i write is Static and sounds Different from a Real vst. What does it mean? Can someone explain the difference if i draw a Standart saw in Sampler Editor or take vst with a Single saw. Why in Sampler Editor it is Static?

In an another Forum someone Write, sample i write is Static and sounds Different from a Real vst. What does it mean? Can someone explain the difference if i draw a Standart saw in Sampler Editor or take vst with a Single saw. Why in Sampler Editor it is Static?

If you play a single sample per note in a sampler, the sample restarts from position 0 everytime you press that note and this can sound very static (depends on the used sampled sound), because the retriggered sound is always the same. The secret of a real synthesizer or a VST which doesn’t sound that static are the kind of oscillator they’re using. They are so called “free running” osc’s. Such an osc doesn’t retrigger it’s waveform from “phase” position 0 every time. This osc will be triggered from different positions everytime you press a note. This lets the osc sound more “liquid” or more natural. Then there’s the opposite of a free running osc: the static or “retriggered” osc. This kind of osc retriggers from position 0 everytime you press a note and it can sound static. Especially if you use a multiwave osc like a supersaw.

BTW: the word “free running” comes from the good old vintage synths and has not really something to do with triggering e.g. a software based osc. A real free running osc of a real old vintage analog synth isn’t really triggered by pressing a note. Pressing different notes just change it’s note pitch. The osc itself is everytime running, if you press a note or not, it still is running. Just it’s processed signal will be affected on note on’s/off’s by the amp envelope. So this osc doesn’t sound the same by pressing a note, because every time you hit a different phase position while it’s still running. And a Software based osc, which will be called “free running” just simulates such a real one by starting from different phase position every pressed note (and stops running the osc on note off’s), which is not the same, but quiet similar to a real one, just using another, a bit different method, but with the same result.

But you can also emulate a free running osc with a sampler. 1st method, if the sampler supports it, you let retrigger the sample from different positions in the first few ms of the sample. Or the 2nd method, realize it wit the so called “round robin” method. Here every note will be sampled several times. Every note uses more than one sample. Every sample sounds a bit different in the start phase (best way is to sample a synth with free running osc’s). If you now place let’s say 5 or 10 dfferent samples per note and enable round robin, then everytime you press a note, just one, and every time another of these samples will be played. This lets sound your sampled instrument more natural, more liquid and not static.

And just for info. You also can do this round robin method with the Renoise sampler.

NooB Attack …

-fake pulse width

Real pulse width ( +/- detuned saws …however the pulse width can’t be static …

-No osc sync

Static can mean a lot …in renoise this means static wavetable …a collection of samples ( as in samples per second )set by the draw method …( 336 samples ) …you draw your waveform .

This STATIC ( single cycle ) waveform is then read by a ramp osc . .( this happens under the hood )

This linear ramp defines the pitch and amplitude . goes from 0---->1 ( meaning forward ) …indexing the samples of your hand drawn waveform and thus generating sound

This is how wavetable synth’s work in general and is why osc.sync is a rare feature on romplers ( except the roland jd 990 ) …jv and xv range have some sort of x-mod faking this …

Non sample based vst’s and V.A.'s calculate their waveforms in real time ,and gives the user more control over the oscil. parameters , if they have any … .( pulse width ) .

Thx for the answers :slight_smile: @ mastrcode: you can also Write in German :wink: