Renoise "track"template?do You Have One?

hi

just made a “track”-template in renoise

its not all done yet,but so far it looks like this

bpm=215
speed=1

track1=kick(mono)
track2=gabbakick(mono)
track3=snare1
track4=snare2
track5=hihats
track6=break1
track7=break2
track8=melody
track9=lead
track10=subbass(mono)
track11=midbass
track12=topbass
track13=fx1
track14=fx2

group busses

1=kicks (mono)
2=snare(stereo)
3=subbass(mono)
4=midbass(stereo)
5=topbass(stereo)

1-2 routed to drum master
3-5 routed to bass master

and on the master i have voxengo elephant2(turned off)

i will proberly modify this alittle

but sofar thats how my template looks like.

so do you guys use one

nooooooooooooooo

ok
im surprised that theres apparently not many that uses one :D

The only good purpose for templates i could think of is for general mixing and mastering purposes.
But you cannot design ready-made mixing or mastering templates for any type of song. (unless you only plan to compose using a cowbell)

I use a template

bpm 440
speed 3

lines in the pattern 128 in stead off 64

the only template i got is:

3/130bpm
80ticks in patternlenght.

sends:
BK
SD
PERCUSSION
BASE

I always wanted to do one, so now I did, thank you for nudging me into:

T R A C K S:
Chords
Lead
Bass
Kick
Snare
Hihats
Hihats open

S E N D S:
Reverb
Delay

I’ll probably put some effects/compressor on some tracks too.

Don’t you think starting songs with pre-made templates limits your creativity unintentionally?

Depends on the individual case I guess. However I tried that several time ago and I can confirm, that it was horrible - especially with pre-made mixing buses.

not for me,i got a certain way of working,and with the template i use now,i can always add or delete if thats needed.

so for me it is a time-saver,because i dont have to start out by making,send-tracks,busses and what not.

i can just start on ideas right when renoise is loaded

now the only thing i need is to be able to colour code my busses hehe :yeah:

by setting up a clean template you save yourself pretty much knobbing to get started
and aslong as you tweak the eq’s on the sends to fit the track you produce in the process
you won’t be limited.

but i can see the problem by setting up a template with tons of compressors and effects
as a temp, using the same stuff on all your tracks will give a sound that is similar in many ways.

:walkman: must be :dribble:

mine is just a speed 3, 140 bpm template with some utility patterns.

bpm 360, speed 3, pattern lengh 512.
Works well :D

I set a few things in my template song. Each channel resembles a line-in for my audio interface. I made midi instruments for each synth I have. I also placed a midicc device in each channel including my most “popular” parameters I use. :)

wow thats fast!

almost as fast as botb (speed3bpm960)

Templates CAN limit creativity, yes, but they can also INSPIRE and motivate (and in the process result in a group of songs which really go together sonically)…

When I use a template for a while I really grove with it, but then I leave it aside to explore something different because yes after a while I’ve just sunk into certain habits and by breaking my routine I break new ground.

I tend to have the first track be bas drums, the second snare, the third high hat, fourth special sounds/cymbols. Maybe bas will be first track. But it’s just a trend not a template.

i have just re-modelled my template,with alot of busses for different processing,it can quickly get quite messy :D but thats not much of a problem,if you keep it organized(but could use some color-codes hehe)

Pattern length 128, Speed 160/3. Basic drumkits, and melodic instruments, bass. I use it only to get ideas sketched down, I’ll continue later by replacing the instruments and stuff. But if I am songwriting, I need to get ideas down quickly…

this is a good idea. I thought about it but never really got to it. Will make one.

Yeah, I looked at some botb xnrs and he inspired me to that.
Now its more like speed 3 bpm 400 at, but it variates from song to song.