Renoise - Ultimate Touchosc Ipad Template?

Danoise, are you interested in getting it going in Duplex still? I’m going to look into Pure Data later today to see how complicated it would be to convert the osculator mapping. Haven’t found any automated utilities. Maybe I shouldn’t bother and should focus on a Duplex conversion. Thinking that either way I go it’s going to require a lot of time.

Good stuff. I really like seeing this sort of stuff, since it gives me ideas as to what other people expect from a TouchOSC layout. Thanks for rekindling my interest, I keep getting sidetracked by life.

Porting this to pd or Duplex is pretty much going to be as tedious as setting everything up in Osculator.

Porting a lot of the stuff to Duplex really isn’t that difficult. (just tedious at times) I’d imagine that it’d be more “defining what’s happening by editing text files” than it would be do it in Osculator (I don’t run Osculator at all, so I’m just guessing.)

Are all of these things even implemented in Duplex yet? I know many of them are, but some might not be. Implementing new “applications” is going to be some portion of getting this ported.

Porting to Duplex would really help with that. The bi-directional aspect is the beauty of TouchOSC and Duplex. Your TouchOSC layout would reflect what’s going on. Not to mention, TouchOSC is mildly dynamic(I wish it were more dynamic). Put those things together and things get really awesome.

Duplex is really the way to go with TouchOSC and Renoise. The possibilities are endless. (Kudos to danoise, Duplex is totally badass)

I’d urge you to jump in and give it a shot porting it to Duplex. There’s so much that can be done, that having another person adding tools to the toolbag is always a good thing.

In essence, I’d say, if you decide on a Duplex port then let’s split the task into two parts:

First part:

Do your research and learn about what’s possible with the current generation of Duplex apps: the mixer, effects, sequencer etc.
Looking at your layout, some parts could easily be expanded feature-wise: e.g. the Mixer could be made to scroll through tracks.

Second part:

Having established what’s possible and what’s not, the actual (re)design is done. The TouchOSC template is modified, and it’s Duplex counter-part (the control-map) is created.
Finally, you assign the various application to the control-map in a device-configuration - that should be it.

So, what about pads and the keyboard?

For now, I’d say that it makes perfect sense to use the first page as Duplexed applications that support visual feedback, and the next pages with pads and keyboard are going though osculator, or some other software that produce MIDI notes. The thing is, visual feedback is not needed for pads and keyboards.

Triggering samples has not been a priority in Duplex, because you can always connect your MIDI keyboard in the normal fashion, and a scripted solution is never going to be 100% precise, until we have some part of the Renoise API working as a real-time thread.

The common narrative here is none of us seem to have time or the know how to get the Duplex part going. I dug deep before I resorted to the interface I made, ripping off other templates and trying to take the easy way out. No other templates ported well or had what we renoise users needs to have - pads, sequence control, mixers, etc. Renoise needs its own layout so the challenge went from “let me make a quick renoise controller” to “How to construct a multifaceted open interface for a number of scenarios in studio, at home or jamming.”

After grinding my teeth into the easy way the hard way was the only way and probably clocked a good 16 hours remaking pages from scratch, redoing the tedious mappings, always with the final jam in mind. The money shot came when the iPad was finally doing what I wanted with renoise. The ideas and songs popped out like a bedbug infestation in a child labour mattress factory. Seemed like I was hitting save on great beats every 10 minutes, just recording the jams dreaming of making an entire live album with the interface and renoise. Finally, osculator would remind me to register and everything shut off, or the midi mappings would go bonkers out of nowhere.

With that image in mind (the child labour factory particularly) I am still down to make this thing work with duplex which leads me to the Pure data part of the convo…

Time wields its ugly face again, or rather not having any. Did you have any luck with this rezidue? I’m sure PC users would like to try it out but yes a duplex port should conquer that wall, it is cross-platform correct?

It would be better harder stronger faster for sure in duplex. Also, I would take on the task of doing Duplex hook but after reading the docs on duplex and perusing the code, I quickly retract. Where I fall short is where Soggy_cheerio and danoise seem to come in, you guys seem to have the unlock code on what I need to either give you or vice versa.

Partly encouraged by this thread and something satobox did, Duplex will soon see a sample-triggering component.

All along, I have been telling people this:

“You can always connect your MIDI keyboard” … To answer this myself: well, yes, if you have one. And most iPad apps are OSC, not MIDI-based.

But the real stumbling block I saw as the precision issue. My conceptions are primarily based around how the note-router got deprecated (cancelled). Try reading this discussion for some insights into the realtime methods, and intricacies of note triggering:
http://www.renoise.c…r-experimental/

Initial tests indicate that response time is good, so once everything is settled, I will offer the keyboard / sample triggering component: it will be flexible as far as mappings go, able to emulate a traditional keyboard as well as individual buttons.
I have no idea how well it will integrate with Osculator, as I am a TouchOSC user myself. But in my setup, it works fine.

Bumping this year old topic since Duplex got a brand new fancy iPad configuration. It looks like this:

touchosc_ipad_config.png?raw=1

If we think about it, additional layouts would be possible too (matrix slots, isomorphic keyboard), but for starters I think this one is pretty good.
I read on the TouchOSC website that custom template support for Android is planned too (well, eventually)

Download the release here

:w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :dribble:

Looking tight!

looks great! :)

This is exactly what i searched since a long time. i’ve downloaded duplex, but where can i find the TouchOSC layout for renoise duplex ?

It’s included with the download - to locate the preset, go to the tools menu in Renoise and select the Tool Browser.
Locate Duplex and rightclick → select “Reveal in Finder/Explorer/”. Finally, in that folder goto Duplex/Controllers/TouchOSC/Presets

It’s the same principle with all devices that require a special preset/layout.

1 Like

Thx a lot ! you saved my night , and my wife ;)

everything seems ok except one thing.
I’ve well installed preset on my iPad, it looks like good but when i touch some control on the ipad nothing happens on duplex however i can see red and green leds flashes and when i do something on duplex it’s well displayed on the ipad. My port config is ok. I really don’t understand why duplex can display its action on touchOSC and TouchOSC can’t do it on duplex : \

Ah, this is simple - Renoise/Duplex is sending messages, and they are being received by the iPad.
But the messages sent by the iPad are not received by Renoise

Check the TouchOSC settings - you need to enter the IP address (or hostname, in some cases) of your computer in the field named “Host”
How you determine your IP address depends on your operation system (here’s a link - note that you need to know the internal address, not the web one)

1 Like

Thanx for your help, it´s now working ! I did well entered my ip address since the begining , but i didn’t see that i had activated osc server and when i descativated it everything worked.
I still have a last question , the ‘lock’ button of hydra , xy pad and repeater blink everytime and i can’t use it, it doesn’t work. Do you Know what happens ? In my dupplex browser these buttons are displaying a heart and blink too…i don’t Know why i can’t use them

It means they have no device to control - they are homeless, so to speak. If you had one or more XYPad/Repeater/Hydra devices in your song, you’d be able to target them using prev/next buttons, and press “lock” to take control.

Please check out the documentation for each application
http://forum.renoise…8-duplex-xypad/
http://forum.renoise…uplex-repeater/

ok i understand. Thank you very much for your support.

omg omg omg omg omg omg hoooooooowwww did i not know about this?!?!? ILU ILU MUAH MUAH <3 <3 <3 <3 :D :D :D :D JOY JOY JOY JOY YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA
:::starts humping nearest leg:::

OSCPad has custom layouts for android (and sort-of loads touchOSC layouts) but I don’t have an android device at the moment so can’t confirm it.

This is cool. wants me to get an ipad <3<3