Renoise vs FL Studio

here ya go :slight_smile:

GOBY green daylight.xrnc (4.9 KB)

I’ll x-post it in the theme thread

1 Like

wow! as i opened it :star_struck: such a beautiful gift - can’t believe my eyes - this is it .

1 Like

uhhh i want RNSkey version :money_mouth_face:

https://novationmusic.com/flkey+

Sorry, but what does it matter where the notes are located graphically? This is the problem of making music “with your eyes” instead of your ears… If what you hear sounds like you imagined, the goal is achieved, it doesn’t matter if the notes are in the first column, in the second , in the third… That thing is just a distraction from your goal. Personally I have no problem in midi-live recordings, I also have a terrible laptop with enough latency but I solve the problem with quantization and then add some delay manually if I want to create some movement.

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that you can use more than one DAW, OS, instrument, etc. Renoise is great, and Redux is awesome when you want to host it as a plugin. Also, FL studio can be used as a plugin inside of Renoise. Coincidence? Hell no :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Blasphemy! :metal::grin::heart_on_fire::heart_on_fire::heart_on_fire:

3 Likes

You can edit and move around recorded notes without even looking? That is genuinely impressive! :open_mouth: Yes, I can see how in that case you clearly don’t need a piano roll. I mean, technically, you wouldn’t even need a monitor…

1 Like

Agreed. Render those plugin presets, save as xnri, native fx only baby, if you need extra, download tools sucka!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Renoise FTW!!!

2 Likes

Although ive never released anything i think flstudio is a good preliminarily primer for Renoise. One should master their tools, as much as Renoise has changed I feel like that might not be possible, which is awe-inspiring. you can literally do anything now with it. ive been digging up samples i had made/recorded in cooledit and reworked in fruityloops, then separated with lala.ai , brought into Renoise and some of them just go so well with the future.

3 Likes

let’s be honest though how long would it take to be that fast without making mistakes ,

THIS IS THE WAY!!! in all seriousness, my path to renoise has been convoluted to say the least. i was inspired by the midi sequencer + rack sampler era in the 90s but by the time i came around, things had moved on to the daw realm. little by little i started to realize what i really liked was a sequencer deeply integrated with its sampler. the MPC was my first true love, but beyond the mpc 4000, none of them have any decent sampler programmability. although im still learning renoise, there is just such a deep link with the audio you’re working with and the sequencer, even if you cant see it as easily as you can in “other daws”, it just feels like you’re working at the lowest level, the closest you can get to the sample. i could see myself switching from a tracker to a daw but for the modern era, as far as samplers are concerned, nothing comes close. i’ve accepted my fate. i’m pretty much happily stuck with renoise :smiley: more than anything the integrated sampler/sequencer is my ideal workflow. other daws/platforms may have more features/capabilities but the samplers are so cumbersome (looking at you ableton live). for the right person i think, if they discover renoise and it hits, you’re in for life :smiley:

2 Likes

At this point, I think I could fill a book about the size of the bible with complaints about FL Studio, and I’ve only been using it for less time than I’ve been using Renoise.

I’ve seen some Youtube videos talking about how Renoise is such an oddball DAW (obviously the term DAW can be debatable here), but there’s a reason why FL Studio users are so confused about how everything else works when they finally realize they’re missing a whole bunch of things that other people (even using freeware DAWs) already have at their fingertips. It’s not even as modular and flexible as it pretends to be, either, more like a one-way street where if you don’t do the exact thing that one person intended with it, it stops working entirely.

The main issue with FL (IMO) is how half-assed and incomplete nearly every feature is outside of the piano roll. It’s like they literally designed a massive, scriptable, 18-wheeler piano roll and then just threw in the towel on pretty much everything else. For those who still mention the piano roll in the context of Renoise, just remember that it’s not always worth it. Sometimes having a DAW / tracker with a strong focus on speed is a million times better.

Also, nothing is worse than those stupid floating windows when your plugins won’t resize and you’re just SOL on the few dials close to the bottom of the window. Whoever designed FL needs to hire someone else to finish the job, although they seem to admit their codebase is too fucked to actually repair as an explanation for their broken plugins.

I don’t get it, and this is all I technically have right now as far as timelines / arrangers go. What a mess. If it weren’t for their awesome audio FX, I’m really not sure what the hell they’d have to brag about

3 Likes

I very much prefer the piano rolls in Ableton and Studio One. However, I am fine with just having Bitwig for linear arrangements.

2 Likes

I used FL Studio for about 18 years before (recently) switching to Renoise. Nothing in FLS was never a problem to me, or if there was a problem it was a something you find in every traditional DAW: piano roll. It is so so nice that I don’t have to jump between piano roll views of different channels, in Renoise everything in tracks/channels is right there visible and accessable for fast and easy editing. I really like the fact that everything is there in one space.

Command based automation is brilliant in many cases. For instance, with instruments like Straylight it is easy to jump back and forth scanning certain points of sample just typing in the value. Drawing automation with mouse to sequence sample scanning really numbed me.

One of the best things for me in Renoise is (since I use virtual instruments) that I don’t have to scroll up and down for key-switches: has made my workflow so much faster!

Well… there’s plenty more but I’m not here to write a book.

To but put Renoise in nutshell comparing to FLS and other DAWs: Cool looking and convinient.

3 Likes