Renoise: worth it?

Well… then just try it, you lazy bast**d… :badteeth:

Its this simple…

Do you want the best Tracker currently available, yes ? Then buy Renoise.

Ignore the garbage about updates and such, even when the developers were developing it, most of the updates in the last 5 years have been esoteric nonsense that virtually nobody uses, or scripting engines that changed so much version to version that only the hardest core of the hardest core carried on using them and even those users have near enough given up using them now too.

Renoise is the best tracker available, it works and has always worked extremely well and is extremely stable, is it the best DAW, no, not even in the top ten, it is the best Tracker by a long long long way.

So is it worth it to you, well you wanted a Tracker, so of course it is !!!

Not true what you are writing about scripting API changes: mainly the instrument structure had changed, but most scripts still will work, and if you want to fix your script for v5, it’s not that much time of fixing work, so not that difficult. Also it is better to change the API than staying with a weak API. I only wished the changes were more drastically…

@Bungle

Again it seems that you have not used Renoise thoroughly, for commenting this:

Ignore the garbage about updates and such, even when the developers were developing it, most of the updates in the last 5 years have been esoteric nonsense that virtually nobody uses,

It simply is not true.Yes, some new features may not be used much, but Renoise has improved a lot on some internal aspects that have to do with sound.Without going any further, version 3.0.1 is different from version 3.1.0 under the hood with major changes, for example in routing of instruments (something very important), their individual effects by sample, which involves important changes that are not appreciated at first glance.

I’ve also noticed a big change in introducing the phrases, which is summed up in a great team effort, parallel to Redux, and that has brought a lot of new features to the API, fattening the code considerably.Although it may sound exaggerated, it was like as introduce a tracked within another tracker, with everything that connects.

Regarding the API available for scripting it is still possible to improve it substantially!The main problem I see here is not the API itself, but the documentation itself, which is not very well ordered, nor the number of practical examples for people with little knowledge dare to try things with LUA.Only 4 nerd people make tools!!!

On the other hand, these forums are very full of new suggestions from many users.Renoise needs updates, in addition to fixing bugs!!!Renoise 3.1 is full of small bugs in many parts.Fortunately, most do not affect stability.

Not only to please users improving Renoise in many respects that Taktik knows perfectly where Renoise fails, but also in the API for scripting. Sometimes, some details would allow to make really surprising tools, like the addition of some observables, direct sound control (very important), control of the GUI of the tools in real time (A huge detail that prevents you from creating parallel tools to the pattern editor or matrix, like a real pianoroll), coherence between different codes to do the same with different peripherals and things like that…

When Taktik returns, you will see hundreds of suggestions in the forums, and again many will be ignored.Many are details, but some details are very important.

Note: the accordion was finally removed. That was so important! :DMaybe make way for more improvements in the future, and no kidding.On the other hand, anyone who complains about people asking for updates, they use Renoise 1.0, please, or some of Renoise’s betas 1.Renoise 3.1 is not for them!Then Renoise 3.2 will come, and 99.99% of users will upgrade. There must be a reason!

For me it is worth, so I have bought renoise 3.1.

So, out of curiousity - did OP buy Renoise? :slight_smile:

@Bungle

Again it seems that you have not used Renoise thoroughly, for commenting this:

It simply is not true.Yes, some new features may not be used much, but Renoise has improved a lot on some internal aspects that have to do with sound.Without going any further, version 3.0.1 is different from version 3.1.0 under the hood with major changes, for example in routing of instruments (something very important), their individual effects by sample, which involves important changes that are not appreciated at first glance.

I’ve also noticed a big change in introducing the phrases, which is summed up in a great team effort, parallel to Redux, and that has brought a lot of new features to the API, fattening the code considerably.Although it may sound exaggerated, it was like as introduce a tracked within another tracker, with everything that connects.

Regarding the API available for scripting it is still possible to improve it substantially!The main problem I see here is not the API itself, but the documentation itself, which is not very well ordered, nor the number of practical examples for people with little knowledge dare to try things with LUA.Only 4 nerd people make tools!!!

On the other hand, these forums are very full of new suggestions from many users.Renoise needs updates, in addition to fixing bugs!!!Renoise 3.1 is full of small bugs in many parts.Fortunately, most do not affect stability.

Not only to please users improving Renoise in many respects that Taktik knows perfectly where Renoise fails, but also in the API for scripting. Sometimes, some details would allow to make really surprising tools, like the addition of some observables, direct sound control (very important), control of the GUI of the tools in real time (A huge detail that prevents you from creating parallel tools to the pattern editor or matrix, like a real pianoroll), coherence between different codes to do the same with different peripherals and things like that…

When Taktik returns, you will see hundreds of suggestions in the forums, and again many will be ignored.Many are details, but some details are very important.

Note: the accordion was finally removed. That was so important! :DMaybe make way for more improvements in the future, and no kidding.On the other hand, anyone who complains about people asking for updates, they use Renoise 1.0, please, or some of Renoise’s betas 1.Renoise 3.1 is not for them!Then Renoise 3.2 will come, and 99.99% of users will upgrade. There must be a reason!

Again it seems you just like to type letters for fun, the changes that have occurred in the last 5 years have added very little to Renoise in terms of workflow enhancements, this is a fact, nothing more nothing less, the fact that you disagree but are unable to point to any of these new wonderful enhancements other than “the code has changed” or some other esoteric nonsense, seriously, routing ? that is your big 5 year updating.

Go look at every other developed software on the planet.

It is fine to enjoy Renoise, it is a great tracker, but lets not pretend it is something it is not, it is not developed heavily, and that is even less now, it is not a DAW, it is a Tracker, but it does have the funniest users :wink:

Again it seems you just like to type letters for fun, the changes that have occurred in the last 5 years have added very little to Renoise in terms of workflow enhancements, this is a fact, nothing more nothing less, the fact that you disagree but are unable to point to any of these new wonderful enhancements other than “the code has changed” or some other esoteric nonsense, seriously, routing ? that is your big 5 year updating.

Go look at every other developed software on the planet.

It is fine to enjoy Renoise, it is a great tracker, but lets not pretend it is something it is not, it is not developed heavily, and that is even less now, it is not a DAW, it is a Tracker, but it does have the funniest users :wink:

Bungle, I agree that Renoise has not evolved much in the last 5 years, I would say even in all its history, since they are many years (I would have expected other upgrades)… But it is unfair to say that nothing has changed.Most are details that do have to do with the workflow. For example, multiple selection in Matrix, like this, many details, and so on.Yes, we all want many more features, but you see how slow this is.No equipment here. There’s only Taktik and now he spends his time on something else.That is, nothing that we do not know.Some versions have brought more changes or improvements than others. But to generalize is a problem.

Regarding that Renoise is not a DAW, but “a tracker”, I disagree. What do you think is meant by a DAW?Ah okay, is that Renoise has no pianoroll! So it’s just a tracker :slight_smile:

Do you want a “Pro Tools Tracker”? It would be interesting :slight_smile:

Most DAWs on the market that are priced much higher than Renoise are full of mistakes and have a lot of shortcomings, and they are nothing special…But they are companies with more money and support.Most updates are details here and there. Details!

Here with Renoise, most people’s suggestions are ignored, many are details, but, as I’ve said on other occasions, some details are very important!

I would say Taktik peaked with the current Renoise GUI, and knows that until the change to the full to improve drastically (this GUI), will not be worth adding those great features that people demand.This is to build “a vector GUI” for high resolutions, and seriously reconsider the use of colors to associate related elements.With these changes, which are substantially large, could give way to other features where the GUI has a lot of weight, like graphic waves, a real and serious automation panel and stuff like that.And that the audio and video worked really fluids.Renoise 3.1 has graphical performance problems.Today there are very powerful computers. There is no excuse here.I’m talking about the graphic section, not the audio.

Redux has been a drag on Renoise, a handbrake.So much so that Taktik preferred to leave Renoise to dedicate itself to other software. He must be fed up.I have already discussed with other members of these forums on this topic. While Taktik is not working in Renoise, there will be more and more delays and more and more protests and more and more unfair qualifications, or perhaps very fair qualifications.According to some, this has always been the case.

But do not exaggerate or generalize so much. Renoise is a DAW, as it can be FLS, S1, Cubase or others, only its base is a tracker.You can compose, record, change things, connect peripherals, master, finalize a recording in quality audio format, etc., etc. What else do you want me to bring to be considered a DAW?A DAW can be based on a tracker, and is still a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).I do not understand the vice to name Renoise as just a tracker, as if “DAW” were something very special.

Now comes summer and there will be no news of Taktik, of course. Then, September to December, and nothing new. Perhaps in early 2018 will be released to version 3.1.1, which includes bugs already resolved months ago!!! :blink:And yes, Renoise will not change at all. But, something has changed and not at first glance.Many changes are internal, not visible to the naked eye.A programmer problem is that, that much work is not seen.

Hehe, not a DAW? Of course it is. AND it is a tracker. Even ft2 was a DAW. Multitrack-recording DAW no, but DAW yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Hehe, not a DAW? Of course it is. AND it is a tracker. Even ft2 was a DAW. Multitrack-recording DAW no, but DAW yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Exact! :)Some people still have a dilemma with this…

If you have use for the tool that Renoise is, it’s cheap and very much worth it. However, I would not consider using it as a main modern DAW due to technical and workflow limitations.

As one being new to music production I tried demos of other Daws. Out of everything I tried nothing was as easy for me to start making music than Renoise and at its cost it was a no brained. As for updates, learn the current version as it is and determine your own thoughts on short coming / limitations. Remember limitations can lead to creativity.

If I were to be a critic, the only limitation I found with it so far is with time-based effect sync.

You might find this useful: https://www.renoise.com/tools/synchronize-modulation-dsps

Not fully like you described but a little step closer. :slight_smile:

What exactly is your setup/problem to syncing the phaser to notes?

Maybe you will want to start a thread about it, ppl here tend to find solutions very quickly, it is like a sportive game hehe. There is for sure a way or two to accomplish it at least for monophonic instruments, chorus/phaser/flanger each have controllable lfos via the “reset” parameter, which can be automated, also by key/vel trackers in the chain. Things will get a bit quirky and might depend on obscure behaviour of the whole system, but you certanly can do it. Once you know the tricks u will be hooked.

Yes, I also really LOVE renoise for its sound design capabilities. Very cpu light native effects, a crazy powerful modulation system, everything unlimited until the computer smokes. Not talking so much about the instrument modulation, more the effects and what is possible with them. Parallel routing is also possible if you just think hard enough on how to use the unlimited sends.

A well the thong yes, one day ppl will make a song about the thong on a rainy day, it will suck big time.

There is no workflow named “sidechain” in Renoise, however if you accept that sidechaining may be either compression+gaining, compression+gaining+filters or compression+anything, Renoise offers this.
I have successfully and with not much effort implemented sidechaining with a Signal Follower, A Doofer with Gainer and Lowpass and Sends.

You can be as creative as you want.

Its great value. Stable. Great workflow. Fast. Definitely worth the money.

Totally worth it. I come from a very non-tracker background and neither beatmaker based like hardware MPC etc. I have been using DAWs since FL ver 1.0 and Emagic Logic since ver 4.0. These and Reason ver 2.0 when it came out made me crazy for software along with my strong interest in Aphex Twin and Trip Hop genre, right from school days. But as I mastered these packages I got more and more passive, basically I was programming inside the piano roll/sheet music view for each and every thing using the mouse. I wrote like 99% of my early school material (entire 4 min piano solos) in this manner not really playing anything just programming each and every note. The good thing is that computers became second nature to me after years of doing this and became very good in trouble shooting issues. I even taught myself reverse engineering and now am working in the RE domain as my day job. However, what I missed in using Trackers and MPCs in those early years, I made up for by making myself rock soild in music theory and sound engineering techniques. My approach was ALL PROGRAMMING, ALL THE TIME.

Now for the past few years, I have discovered for myself genres like Neo Soul, underground Hip Hop, Soulful House and Gospel music, that require total keyboard skillz and a very strong sense of groove and beat programming and loop manipulation skills, that mostly are done with real time entry - especially the Hip Hop style of doing things, They play their keys, bang their basses and pound on their drums - or pads in this case and sample left and right like there is no tomorrow. That journey brought me to trackers in the end. I did a lot of hands on research and found that for people who are either technical minded or can do music theory in their head, AND are performance oriented producers - nothing beats either an MPC or a focussed tool like Renoise.

I compare Renoise to MPC as software is to hardware. Renoise and MPC hardware also works if you use the standalone controllers and config them (MPC touch, MPC element, MPC Studio and MPC Rennaissance). The all in one MPCs like MPC-X and older versions also can be used for their MIDI pad inputs and sampling. Renoise does not have a dedicated hardware as the entire computer/laptop keyboard is the primary and traditional ‘interface’ to the software as a computer programmer would. This is great because the kind of ability you have with a computer keyboard and a software like Renoise is really second to non. AKAI and NI have their own spins to this hardware software thing and of course haveing an external set of pads or keys in addition to your ‘non velocity and aftertouch sensitive’ computer keys is always welcome.

Renoise has effectively changed my way of production by giving me everything I want in one package and making my Macbook the star of the show. In fact the first night I was playing with version 3.1 after I purchased it, I made a track by morning, and it sounded good the next day. I was surprised that I had only used my laptop to do -

drums performance and recording

quantizing

swing

vocal manipulation

keys

pads

synth solo

sampler plugins and sampling

track arrangement

tempo changes

odd meters usage

varying pattern lengths

joins, breaks and pattern to pattern jumps

and others.

This one night session convinced me till date that I got introduced to my first love and possibly a life long love. I had a similar feeling years back when I first used Logic. It was not like todays Mac dumbed down interface but something that really made me learn the ins and outs of MIDI, and the sheet view was really awesome.

Just like on MPCs the focus on using Renoise has shifted me from programming everything to -PLAYING everything. Now for all my tracks I perform, jam, compose and record making my timing on the spot, enabling me to really leverage my keyboard skills and most importantly keeping my ears sharp and making me less and less dependant on my eyes.

On the physical side, I barely use the mouse when in Renoise, especially for the main activities like editing and recording or arranging. This has resulted in a cognitive shift where a second peripheral has a more vestigeal use now and a touchscreen possibly engages me more now. The mouse has its own days coming to a halt, maybe not just yet but soon. A 3D air gesture based interface will also be useful if it takes a trend. For now, the mouse is already not used with the MPC (at least with the older versions) and Renoise has so much done by computer keyboard that a mouse only breaks the flow. This holy combination of Renoise+MPC has made my health better, made my music better, kept my ear sharper and make less reliant on distractive BS.

I work with debuggers and disassemblers as part of my day job so I should know what detailed work means. For such work, you would not believe me saying this but the mouse is very useful. Try using OllyDbg only with your keyboard and you will understand the loss of movement and contraints that result. So I am not saying that the mouse is totally useless. But for music production which is more of a creative activity, something very essential happens when you get less distracted by more technical stuff. Unlike technical stuff where you need to spend even more time with other technical stuff - that situation is not really creative but analytical and reactive.

I still use everything from time to time just to work on my older projects or get a data out from one to the other, but on the whole I think I have found my permanent music production combo gear for the rest of my life. I do have a studio with multiple monitors, keyboards, 5 guitars, 1 bass, pad controllers, soundcards etc… so I suppose I know the drill and I have invested myself in this craft.

Renoise is my go to and I hope more and more people go for it and use this awesome tool for their benefits.

@encryptedmindb @Renoised.It is interesting to read their experiences. I think it’s a pity that more users do not learn LUA in depth to create tools.That would imply having more practical examples together with the documentation of the APIfor people to understand. That said,I think it is possible to create a tool surprisingly similar to Chord Pad of Cubase for Renoise.In fact, I think there is already some tool for the introduction of chords, although with another very different aspect.

Although there are details of the API that can be improved, I also understand that for most, creating this kind of tools is wasting a lot of time. And we all want to write music.A link to a video with Chord Pad, to know what the issue is exactly:

Someone dares to build a Chord Pad tool? :slight_smile:

@Renoised, to see all these amazing features to engage the user more, I think that before Renoise needs a comprehensive review of its GUI.After this step, which would bring a revision of the API, it will not only be possible to include better dynamic features, which involve the use of colors and layers to associate elements, but also better code to create tools of this style.

And perhaps in his commentary there is a parallel point of view, which is “the pure and hard advertising”.The vast majority of people use what the masses of people use. It is not a contradiction, but something that feeds back.In summary, in general, the best applications are not used. Are used the applications better known by all, with a large advertising weight behind their backs.

This advertising, along with the appearance, what you see with your eyes, manages to attract more mass of people. If the image you see is not understood, it lacks attraction. This is perhaps what happens to Renoise, a DAW who is a beast, who few people understand in depth and who has no advertising, and hardly support.

However, it seems common to see new people from time to time surprising themselves with Renoise, once they manage to master it a little.Seeing the outside world, the vast majority of users do not understand the potential of this DAW already today.Little by little people are discovering it, even people who have never played a tracker in their short life.People’s comments on social networks and advertising carry a lot of weight over the use of a certain type of DAWs.Renoise is over 16 years old, and there are millions of people who do not know him, or even his name.

On the other hand, when a Renoise user learns LUA and Renoise’s API with a little depth, it changes perspective. You can create and add really amazing features. But that requires a lot of time and dedication.In this sense Renoise is the best in the market. If there is something missing, believe it yourself.It is a pity that its development is based on intermittent pauses over the years.

People who know how to handle Renoise in depth, are very lucky and are not aware of it.Surviving the stampede in recent years of the rest of DAWs based on pianoroll has much merit.Until one user does not prove Renoise, he has not tried everything. It will surely follow in a lost sea of DAWs based on pianoroll and many mouse clicks…

I think the weakness and strength are the same with Renoise: It shoves details into your face. I have no problem entering chords in it. The main problem (for using it as a main DAW), is the lack of speed when using a top-down approach for songwriting. No real birds eye view or arranger. That’s the issue… not more details.

The workflow for tracking a pattern is great. The workflow for tracking a song - not as good :wink: