Repeater Dsp

Hi all,

I’m very excited about 2.8 (which should be 3.0 given the sheer amount of new stuff!). I like the Repeater dsp but I’m pretty frustrated it is limited to audio only.
It would be amazing to have that same repeater interface as a meta device, mappable to any dsp / vsti automated parameter. It could for example be awesome for LFOs, making it a lethal Dubstep producing tool.

What do you think of this and has this been suggested before?

L8r!

Celsius

The formula device would probably do a great job with that already.
Perhaps Kraken has some recepies ready for it in that regard.

What is this formula device you speak of? :P There is no such thing in the device list it seems.
Also, I am not fluent in C++ and I don’t think it’s a very user friendly prerequisite :o

I don’t mind having the same layout/options as the repeater device as a breakout box for the lfo, but basically you can already fill in the values for frequency giving you the same results.

No it is a hidden device (because it may crash Renoise so therefore, use at your own risk), you have to copy/paste an XML snippet into Renoise to get this device into a track

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>  
<filterdeviceclipboard doc_version="0"><br>
  <deviceslot type="FormulaMetaDevice"><br>
  <isactive>true</isactive><br>
  </deviceslot><br>
</filterdeviceclipboard>  

The repeater’s grid is simply doing value-quantization, something which can be achieved with creative use of meta devices.

Here’s a DSP chain which does quantized wobble, controlling both modulation rate and filter Q. Try it on some dub-steppish bass?

Nice chain! Not sure how to use it to get for example 1/4, 1/4T, 1/4D for example though?

Right now I’m thinking an easy meta device with the same interface as the repeater would be a much welcome alternative to using hidden devices that require programming or using sliders that display in % instead of tempo division.

I’ve always found it hard to make dubstep in Renoise because of this :(

I discussed this with some of my friends who agreed on how useful this would be. It could even be built into the LFO controls : display in % or tempo division, although a meta device would be much more versatile of course.
I think someone should suggest such a meta device to Edouard and see what he thinks.

So you don’t want not to write or record, you want to actually play the sound.

For example, the DSP chain I made is simply good at making those wobbles in perfect intervals, but they are not synced to any master clock.
No matter how precise you control that XYPad, the tempo will eventually drift, but that can be fun and chaotic too -

However, I’d suggest to write some effect commands that lay out the foundation, create a basic rhythmic feel
So, for example you can reset the final LFO (the one actually doing the wobble), and improvise on top of that :yeah:

This could be cool for live use. Don’t have much automation in the Track as want to do live fiddling. But you may want to set up some sections which then repeat the automation and can be changed. Currently you can record into the Automation lane but want if you only want a loop of quarter pattern or something? Or you could even have it longer than the pattern.

If the LFO allowed us to record a Custom Envelope then this could be done. This could possibly be done with the API? Using the DSP Preset functions as I don;t think there is direct access to the LFO Custom Envelope. Unlikely to be 100% seamless this was though…

I’m definitely not a big producer of dubstep, but here’s a little demo tune that will maybe give you some ideas? (I’ve posted this in various forms over the last couple of years, in response to other similar threads)

2854 dblue-2012-01-07-wobble-bass-demo.xrns

As you can see, it’s obviously possible to get nice, tightly synchronised, controllable wobbles with Renoise. It takes a little bit of creative thinking with your meta devices, but it’s definitely possible.

The main trick to this is having one LFO that controls the shape of your wobble, then another LFO that controls the speed of the first LFO. In the speed controller LFO, you can program precise points to control the LPC frequencies for the musical timings you want to use, and this allows you to insert LFO reset commands into your pattern to trigger those precise timings exactly where you want them. When combined with a key tracker or velocity tracker linked to the reset function of the wobble shape LFO, you can ensure that everything stays locked in place and synchronised. No more sloppy wobbles!

In my demo song, the first LFO is the one you’ll want to focus on when controlling the wobble speed. I’ve taken care to map several easy LFO reset commands to precise musical timings, as follows:

• x700 = 2/1

• x710 = 2/1 triplet

• x720 = 2/1 dotted

• x730 = 1/1

• x740 = 1/1 triplet

• x750 = 1/1 dotted

• x760 = 1/2

• x770 = 1/2 triplet

• x780 = 1/2 dotted

• x790 = 1/4

• x7A0 = 1/4 triplet

• x7B0 = 1/4 dotted

• x7C0 = 1/8

• x7D0 = 1/8 triplet

• x7E0 = 1/8 dotted

• x7F0 = 1/16

These assume you’re working at 4 LPB. At 8 LPC they’ll be twice as fast, so you’ll need to adjust accordingly.

But what exactly would such a Repeater meta device do? There is no shape to its output, so how could it control any parameter? If we start trying to give it a shape such as sine wave, or custom envelope, etc., then it simply become another LFO. So in my opinion, a Repeater meta device is not really the answer here. The answer is an improved LFO which can easily be synced to musical timings, rather than the slightly confusing LPC frequencies. Having the option to simply enter “1/4T” into the LFO would probably solve your problem, right?

I’m so glad you and danoise are on the team, you are a gentleman and a scholar and Taktik is very smart for bringing you 2 in.

Yes indeed I think that would solve the problem and be a great enhancement. Thanks for the extensive answer also!

This is unrelated but is there any way to disable the automatic pattern reorganizing when working on an existing song? When ever I insert or duplicate a pattern in the pattern sequencer it seems to change the numbers and sort them from 0. This is incredibly confusing, especially when copying and moving several patterns in an existing list, as they are automatically renumbered when moved making it pretty hard to know what is where. Unless I’m not getting something? ;)

Right-click in the pattern sequencer and disable “Keep Sequence Sorted”.

Thanks dblue ;)
Is there any way to have this set by default? The parameter seems to be reset every time I open an xrns.
I also noticed that when inserting an EQ dsp, the default display is graph only. Is there any way to toggle this to sliders by default?

The parameter is saved along with the song, but i guess when the Xrns is older and doesn’t have this parameter, the default will be on.
If you want this off for your future songs, clear the song (load the template song) and save it with this option disabled.
Also disable it in your project songs before saving.

I kinda got inspired by the topic again so I did a thing similar to danoise’s… automated wobbler.
wobwob.xrns
first XY pad: X = ‘divisor’, Y = ‘mode’. second XY pad: min/max on the first filter cutoff.