Request/Suggestion: Random Velocity for Qwerty input

At the top, in the transport, there is an option to enter a velocity value for notes entered with a computer keyboard.

How about expanding on that and allowing users to set a value range, with the actual value being randomized?

This would add an easy way to get a bit of variety and “humanization” to notes entered with a computer keyboard.

Just a thought. Perhaps there’s an easy way to do this already, but I’m very new to Renoise (a few days now) and am going through the manual, and this idea came to mind.

I hope it is at least considered! :slight_smile:

You can do in several ways, for example:

• Add random but then fixed velocity values in your track. There are randomize functions in the advanced editor I guess. This would be “fixed” random, my opinion the best solution

• You can also add a gain device or a automation device and control its slider using a lfo with random waveform.

• Sadly you cannot automate or control Renoise’s velocity using devices… But there was a tool/workaround for this…

at the most basic level, you can, with tools would be the simplest, but you can also do it with midi mapping

alternatively, insert notes with one hand and change the velocity with the mousewheel with the other

Are those ways easier though? The whole idea was to add an easy way to add some variety to the velocity. If you’re going to have an option for a fixed value, why not expand on that with an option for some variety?

They could do the same for delay: Add a similar tool to the transport, one which allowed users to set a range for random delay. Combine this with the idea for velocity and you have a quick and simple way to get a more human feel to notes entered with a computer keyboard.

Just a thought. Perhaps there’s an easy way to do this already, but I’m very new to Renoise (a few days now) and am going through the manual, and this idea came to mind.
I hope it is at least considered! :slight_smile:

You didn’t mention if you are using samples or VST’s?
Because, if you are using samples you have a number of options.

A really quick one would be to add a random LFO to the volume modulation.
Something like this
random_vol_mod.png?raw=1

(tip: set the freq lower than in the screenshot to avoid that it changes while playing that one voice)
Then you could connect a macro to ‘Amplitude’ to control the amount of variation, too.

Stepper device is also relevant
https://forum.renoise.com/t/stepper-bug/44190

I wrote a tool that hacks vel/pan/delay into the automation lane that could be of help?:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-velocity-pan-delay-automation/39441

means you can sweep around with the mouse after the notes are entered to add some variation.

Not that this is massively useful to anyone as it doesn’t really add anything to what Ledger,Gova,Jurek and Danoise haven’t already said above, but I thought as another possibility you could use the idle callback in a script to randomly switch the keyboard velocity. I’ve attached a quick (not tested) example tool that I’ve put together :slight_smile:

Maybe I should read the whole manual before suggesting ideas. :slight_smile:

Advanced pattern editor>Content Mask + Volume/Pan/Delay/Effects + Humanization

Works well enough to get some slight variation.

Still could probably add the ability to randomize velocity and even delay too (if delay was added to the transport), with my idea. Far from revolutionary, but it would save a step in the workflow. :walkman:

You can also use phrases for a kind of “random” velocity. Just create a non looping phrase with several C-4 notes and different velocities on the first line. Then use the maybe command, so renoise will randomly pick one note:

• 0Yxx - MaYbe trigger the line with probability xx. 00 = mutually exclusive mode (will trigger only one note on this line, where the chance of triggering is inserted into thevolume or panning columnusing Yx).

I sometimes use this to humanize piano melodies (notes with slightly different velocities and delay values).

I think the idea is pretty neat, especially when working with multilayered instruments. It would be easier than the workarounds.