Retrigger From Buffer

Retrigger, obviously, causes the note to trigger again several times…what I was thinking was a function that retriggers a buffer of the sound data at the point it is sequenced without interupting the actual playing of the sample, so the sample would keep ticking along without playing until the end of the retriggering.
Just a thought, becaues the only workaround I can think of is to have another note starting at the same point, and switch to the one without the retrigger when it is finished its effect…

hmm easier to demonstrate

00 C-401 . . . . C-401 00 . . - - - -
01 - - - . . E1 - - - . . . . - - - -
02 - - - . . E2 - - - . . . . - - - -
03 - - - 00 . . - - - 40 . . - - - -

where you could do something like

00 C-401 . . . . - - - -
01 - - - . . C1 - - - -
02 - - - . . C2 - - - -
03 - - - . . . . - - - -

anyway I think this could be a useful function

You can combine both retrigger and sample offset to achieve what you want, you simply have to expand the number of effect columns to fit both commands at once.

For example, say you have a standard sort of drum loop which is 4 beats long and you want to retrigger the first snare hit, then continue at the correct position so the beat stays in time:

00 C-401 … ---- ----
01 - - - … ---- ----
02 - - - … ---- ----
03 - - - … ---- ----
04 - - - … 0E01 0940
05 - - - … 0E01 0940
06 C-401 … ---- 0960
07 - - - … ---- ----

Thats a cool trick dblue! But it would be cool if you could use the sample offset without a note on and without a retrigger aswell. This would speed up my breakbeat construction.

That’s possible too, you just have to take advantage of a few quirks in the way the commands work. If your song is at speed 06 and you retrigger at speed 06, you won’t actually get any retriggering. So, if we take that and combine it with sample offset, you essentially get sample off that doesn’t require a note on!

Eg:

00 C-401 … ---- ----
01 - - - … 0E06 0940
02 - - - … 0E06 0940
03 - - - … 0E06 0940

Give it a try :D

One main benefit - if you want this behaviour anyway - is that the instrument’s volume/panning/pitch envelope doesn’t restart, so you can really combine all these for some crazy sounds.

:rolleyes: i can’t belive i didn’t think of that! Cheers Dblue!
I really like your glitch vst. If you want any help porting glitch to the mac I can help becuase i have experience with the vst sdk, and DSP cause its what i do at uni. Gives us a message if your interested?

Anytime.

Glad you like my plugin, too. I should have a minor-ish update released any day now with a few general improvements and some small new features. I’ll probably post a little something on this forum to remind people.

As for porting it, I’m not really putting any effort into porting Glitch 1.x to Mac. It would be too much hassle to convert all my sloppy old code, haha. I am planning to make the effort for Glitch 2 though as I’m rewriting the whole thing from scratch. I have bits and pieces of code finished already but still quite a lot left to do.

Yeah good point this method will also work alot of the time - I am no stranger to alternate methods - but to use that one you need to have the sample a particular length to make it work as random lenghts will mean slight differences in the timing as 09## aint that accurate… (ie it might start a quarter of a tick too fast or early or something…)
also if you’re using samples at another pitch than middle C it creates problems
making samples exact lenghts is not always possible to do, depending what the sample is, where its from, and why you need to add retrigger :)

I could also add instajungle as another method, but I’m trying to simplify the process ;)