Roland Boutique

Hello there!

I’ve recently bought the Roland Boutique series sound modules and I’ve gotten them to work with USB using ASIO4All (they each have an onboard audio-interface).

The problem I’m having is that the device names for the audio-interfaces are all the same and it’s hard to distinguish them from each other when using them in Renoise.

Just to show you what I mean:

This is the Line-in plugin

Renoise_Line-in.jpg

These are the Midi Output Devices:

Renoise_MIDI_Output_Device.jpg

I was able to change display names in Windows using the FriendlyNames registry-“hack”, but the names aren’t changed in Renoise.

This is how it looks in Recording Devices:

Windows_Recording_Devices.jpg

And ASIO4ALL:

ASIO4ALL.jpg

So I guess my question is if there’s something I can do to make these changes show up in Renoise?

I managed to fix it myself and since I’m such a wonderful person I’ll do a quick recap on how to do it here, In case some other poor sod is struggling with the same problem.

Basically what you need to do is edit the INF file in the driver-pack and swap out the “Boutique” name with the name of the device itself. Then you’ll have to install the drivers with this new name.

There are no downloadable drivers for Windows 10 since it uses Windows Update to install them. That’s why there are a few extra steps for Windows 10 users.

So here goes:

1. download the drivers. If you use Windows 10, then get the drivers for Windows 8 (all three devices use the same drivers). http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/jx-03/updates_drivers/351006

2. Unzip them to a temporary location and navigate to “X:[YOURLOCATION]\boutiq_wind_v100\Files\Win881\Files\64bit\Files”

3. Open the file “RDIF1167.INF” in Notepad and scroll down to “[Strings]”(all the way at the bottom) and replace every instance of “Boutique” with the devicename (I.e JX03).

4. use “replace” (CTRL+H) to replace “6.2” with “10”.Step 4 is only for Windows 10!

5. Save and Close the file.

The following steps are only for Windows 10 (and maybe 8?)

1. Go to Devices and Printers (CTRL+R and type “control printers” and press enter)

2. Right click on the device with your computername and chose “device installation settings”. In the next window pick “no, let me chose what to do” and “never install drivers from Windows update”. Click save.

3. Now you have to disable driver signature verification, so please follow this nicely written step-by-step tutorial on how to do ithttp://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

This step is for all Windows versions!

1. Now turn on your device and it will appear as an uninstalled device in device manager. Right click on it and chose “update driver software…”, then “Browse my computer for driver software” and finally “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

Click “Have disk…” and navigate to the file you edited earlier (RDIF1167.INF). When you click OK you’ll get a popup saying it can’t verify the publisher of the drivers being installed. Click “Install this software driver anyway”.

And that should be it!

If you have more devices, you’ll have to do steps 3 and 9 over again,

Hope this helps someone. :slight_smile: