Rules Of Music-making

The biggest mistake people do about “classical music” is to generalize it
to one music style. This style covers centuries of music with huge differences.
Saying “classical music” in general is boring after listening to a few famous
pieces is almost like saying Aphex Twin sucks because you hated that band
(what was their name? Beatles? :rolleyes:) who wrote “Yesterday”. :)

That’s true. And the same people who say that classical music sucks just after that buy movie soundtracks after than :rolleyes:

Actually the only difference between composing classical and doing electronic music with Renoise is that when composing classical music you don’t have to care about mixing/mastering/etc, because it is mainly desinged for live performance.

You are completely wrong saying that only skilled musicians can composed such stuff. Classical composers started off with composing classical stuff, though they were not skilled at that time. Making GOOD electronic music is as difficult as making GOOD classical music, just the required skills are different. While making electronic music you have to know the basics of sound synthesis, record realisation, acoustics etc, while composing classical you have to deal with instrumentalization, notation etc. In my class there are several people who compose symphonic stuff, I am also planning to produce some soon. Of course, since I’m not THAT skilled in classical music as in electronic it won’t be cutting-edge from the very beginning, but I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to make it.

And one more thing. Haendel once said: “music is no art, it’s business!”. In barouque the desiration for operas was so huge, that Haendel, who was running an opera had often to produce several operas a week. Bach composed so many cantatas (don’t know if it’s the right english word) not because he wanted to do it, but because he was paid for composing. His job was to compose a on cantata a week (!), and he had to deal with it, because his 21 (!!!) children had to eat something. Today only the most famous cantatas of Bach, and most famous operas of Haendel are performed, beacuse as with every mass-produced product their quality wasn’t that good. So don’t tell me that it was pure art and nothing more.

Yes, stuff is the right word

Music is buisness (today, sure it is) but even musicien must eat
When you make music, it’ s just for money??? yes??? i dont think …

yes you are right, we make electonik music, we compose classical one

Do you really think that today electronik music will be play in 100 years?? or even 50 years?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH thanks
(And i like a lot trance and tekno)

classical is essence of music, true music without artifice, just music…at is best

but its just my point of view

if you reply please don’ t hurt me
;)

edit by It-Alien:
quoting has to be closed with backslashed tags:

[quote]  
burp  
[/quote]  

I respect your opinion and I don’t want to hurt you.

I don’t know if our electronic music will be played in 50 years, but I am sure some artists will be remembered, just like some jazz artists from '20 of 20th century are still remembered and their music is still loved and played.

I wonder why do you disrespect my friends’ compositions if you haven’t even seen the scores? Tell me one good reason why any of them wouldn’t make good symphonic music.

There is no difference between making music and composing, it’s exactly the same, man.

And explain why it’s classical music that is the essence. Tell me one good reason, maybe I don’t know about something.

what I can say about this debate is that most of electronic music bores me much more that most of classical music: classical (and its contemporary side) is much more filled by variations and ideas, and this is of course still true for the majority of modern music, which is tipically based on one-idea-per-song.

We listen to a lot of ok-I-had-an-idea-for-a-melody-now-let-it-be-a-song music, while classical “stuff” is made by different moments, ideas, feelings, dynamics…

In my opinion, only progressive rock is somehow comparable to classical music, but I’m of course not objective because I make some sort of progressive rock myself :)

I don’t agree with this, IMO all music is compareable with classical music, there’s no such thing as The Only Good Music That You Have To Love And Certainly Is Not Boring Or If You Think It Is You Will Be Lost In Hell So Better Run Now Because I Will Eat You. But I agre that your music (which is the only progressive stuff I’ve ever heard) is spcial and really the top-shelf music.

But anyway, I myst say that I find this discussion pointless, because we’re discussing our own personal opinions here, which never leadcs to anything.

I say: let’s end here.

no. Here :P

or here ;)

If there is one uber-rule i would like to give:

Just make music your own way and from within your own soul and let the crowd judge the outcome.

The less negative critics, the better your song is (for the all-time archives).
Still for enough personal reasons it is good to keep your work as a reference:for the worst you have done and the better, you learn and develop from it and you learn what people really like in your taste. This will grow the more you keep composing. It does not matter which style, it eventually will be your own style that catches.
This is the way to become the vet.

i know this is supposed o be over but i want to put my $0.02 in on this.

i agree that there is alot more inspired classical music floating around than electronic, but i don’t believe it’s because of the intrinsic nature of electronic or classical music. i think it’s more of a practical matter.

classical music, for the most part, often requires multiple, trained classical instrumentalists and you need to be fairly well connected or have a good reputation to get your ideas performed. the writing process has a steep learning curve to begin with and you have to study extensivly to learn how to do it in such a way that others can read and perform your music. to a large extent, classical music that we listen to today is made by dead people :D and the reason we hear their music today and not that of their contemporaries is because it is well written and inspired and has survived the test of time.

electronic music can be made on a shoestring budget. anyone has access to it, so the market is saturated with it (alot of it bad). with the newer mastering tools, “the professional sound” is a snap to attain even if you don’t have any notion about how to let your inspiration seep into your music. the technology has made it easier to create a formulaic approach to some of electronic music’s sub-genres so alot of it sounds the same. And loop-groove sampling, a really popular double edged sword in the hands of anyone with a computer and a cracked copy of Acid or (uggh!) Mixman “Studio” :wacko: has made it so that alot of it IS the same.

i bet you there was some REALLY shitty music that just sounded like evey ornamentation trick strung together on a harpsichord that was popular music listening in the rennaissance, though.

It’s amazing how just a couple of us actually tried to give answer to the initial question.
Seems to me that there is people who tend to consider any definition of what’s “good” in music and what’s not… as “dangerous” for their position.

I’ve found a couple of very old post where the debate was pretty similar and fits the discussion.
Check em out!

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?act…54a60635c4fdd62

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?act…54a60635c4fdd62

This is the kind of thing I was looking for:

http://www.cosmoedu.net/DoctorFields/

Everybody thanks for your responses.

Or better still, something like this:

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/…elkin/bk/1.html

my rule: do not think

:wacko:

I´m doing this everyday. Dedicated life this is. :P

maybe that´s why my songs are always missing their hooks :blink:

I can’t but then again… :you said “good”.

Sad, but true… :(

Luckily we have the underground - the scene, where nobody cares about radios and many different things are accepted.

Define what you mean by using tritones… They were definitely used,
but were (at least close to) always resolved to “nice” intervals afterwards.

A prime example being the dominant 7th chord, which has a tritone in it
but was always resolved (and usually is today as well) to the “base” chord
(I’m not too steady in music terminology in English…). But more complicated
uses can definitely be found if you look the right places.

martin

you guys know too much…

:)