Sample Editor Help

New to this and looking at the sample editor, i see theres a reverse function. Is there an inverse function to turn the selected part of the sample upside down? Or is there a reason this isnt needed and im only asking this because im new?

Currently, the sample editor does not have this feature, but it would definitely be nice if it did.

There is, however, a fairly simple but slightly awkward workaround:

Move the cursor into a track which contains no DSP devices (or temporarily create a new one), and then add a Gainer effect (found in Track DSPs > Native) to this track.

On the Gainer, invert both left and right channels.

In the sample editor, select the portion of the sample you want to invert, then press the [FX] button in the icons displayed under the sample. This will apply the current track’s DSP devices to the sample, and give you the result you want.

Hope this helps!

Indeed that did help, thanks :)

Always worth a try on a snare lacking punch…it could be sucking instead of blowing. (same with kicks but do be careful and make sure your speakers are wired correctly).

Hmm, interesting! I’ve always known about this speaker cone behaviour, but it had never occurred to me to invert the phase of a sample to cause the speaker cone to pop out first rather than inwards. I’ll definitely have to try that sometime to see how it alters perception of the sound.

Yep, tho the problem with that is it could be out of phase with another sample playing at the same time and cancel many of the frequencies out.

I think that’s always a risk no matter what you’re doing. You might have samples that start in positive phase, a VST synth that starts in negative phase, and other sounds which are a mixture of the two.

Most of the time it doesn’t matter too much, since every individual sound is doing its own thing, playing at different rates, being modulated in different ways, eq’ed and filtered (which is likely to introduce some amount of phase shifting itself), but it usually all comes together OK in the mix.

Of course, I would check for any obviously problems like sounds cancelling each other out, low bass frequencies having some kind of weird stereo image (when it should of course be mono), etc.

Sometimes I even like to exploit these things by deliberately mixing signals with different phase together, so that at certain points one sound is cancelling out the other, or causing it to move around… it can create some pretty interesting details!

I was relaying more to his point about kicks and snares, and any other types of similar percussion, ie similar sounds.

A synth and a kickdrum are not going to clash really, whatever the phase. A snare and a clap would, a kick and a tom.

True, there’s always that potential for something to go wrong. I guess you just have to be aware of what you’re doing to the sounds, and understand what the possible side effects of a process could be.