Sample playback breaks up/glitch

Samples crap up and make clicks on soundcard

didnt change a thing, renoise 2.8 works

after further analysis, it starts to breakup sample play, after the preview sample (1 click) has been used.

nothing ?

Which exact operating system are you using?

Are you using Renoise 32-bit or 64-bit?

Which sound card do you have?

Are you using DirectSound or ASIO?

Are you sure that your 2.8 and 3.0 audio settings — sample rate, latency, etc. — are all identical?

In the Disk Browser, do you have the sample preview set to prehear on the Master or Selected Track? Does changing it make any difference?

Does it happen with all samples you preview, or only with certain ones? WAV, FLAC, or MP3? Short samples, very long samples? Is there any pattern to it?

Can you replicate this problem 100%? Can you give an exact step-by-step guide that will cause the problem to happen?

Anything else you can possibly think of?

I use Win7, 64 bit.

2.8 works straight out fo the box, never had a problem.

I use both Directsound soundcard (onboard), and external ASIO - both break up samples.

Yes, i can replicate it, it simply does it all the time. I dont even have to use the sample-preview.

wav, flac, mp3 - dont matter

I guess theres something with that “latency” setting ?

Why did you make it ?

it isnt in 2.8

Both soundcard ran at 24 bit - setting them to 16 bit removed the problem!

So i guess theres a problem somewhere… 2.8 has no issues with running at 24 bit.

I guess theres something with that “latency” setting ? Why did you make it ? it isnt in 2.8

The Latency setting has always existed when using DirectSound. If you set this too low for your system to handle, then you will most certainly experience some break-up in your audio output. It’s usually only a problem when the song becomes quite heavily loaded, so it’s quite rare that it would happen when simply playing a single sample, but I guess it could still happen.

When using ASIO, the Latency setting is gone, and the buffer size is instead controlled by your audio card’s control panel.

Both soundcard ran at 24 bit - setting them to 16 bit removed the problem! So i guess theres a problem somewhere… 2.8 has no issues with running at 24 bit.

That’s quite weird indeed. Which exact audio card do you have? I asked in my previous post, but you did not mention it. Your onboard is a Realtek chip of some kind I guess, but what is your external ASIO card?

Generally speaking, the more information you can give us, the better we can hopefully research what might be happening here.