Samplerates Vs Loaded Samples

hey, i’ve been wondering…
if i start working on a renoise song with my audio settings set to 44khz 24-bit,
and then load a 96khz sample, renoise plays it back in appropriate speed, which is very convenient.

logically, i don’t achieve the full quality of the 96khz since playback is set to 44khz. but, if i change settings to 96khz, will renoise then “give me back” the full quality? it’s still a 96k sample right?

this is what i until now have believed, and have hoped that is true, cus it lets me work on songs in 44khz to save memory and CPU, and when/if need to increase quality at mixing stage i can still do this.

thanks

I thought that the audiocard driver handled the actual bitrate.
For my audiocard i have to fix this when using ASIO.

So you want to know if your 96Khz sample that gets degraded to a 44Khz is being restored to 96khz or instead being interpolated to 96khz?

If you want to know the true answer:
Load a 96Khz sample in 44Khz, then swap the samplerate and render the result to a file.
Load a 96Khz sample in 96Khz mode and render the result to a file.
Then compare both files (using FC with -b(inary mode) parameter in the console) and see if changes get out.
The result will be your answer.

thanks for the reply vV,
hehe, well when you put it that way…
i’m not quite sure what my audio interface does and doesn’t, and i don’t have the FC tool or any knowledge about it, to, but are you saying that when i import a 96k sample in 44k playback, the sample is converted by renoise to 44k? it still says 96k in the sample editor.

i have believed renoise in such cases “simulated” a 44k playback of the sample, while technically actually keeping the 96k data

thanks again

Renoise does not physically change anything in the sample, it is simply mixed down to 44.1khz (or whatever your audio settings are) during live playback. If you change your audio settings to 96khz, or render to WAV at 96khz, then your 96khz sample will be used to its full potential.

ah, fantastic. excatly what i was hoping for! no reason to worry anymore about losing quality then…

if using 96k, 88k or whatever really MAKES my overall ‘sound quality’ better, is a whole different topic. i’ll leave it for now. thanks