Saving Samples/instruments?

Hey all,

I haven’t tracked for about 4 years…Impulse Tracker was my vice for the latter part of the 90’s, before I quit tracking. Coming back to it now and Renoise looks like a sweet program!

Question: I’m used to being able to rip samples from downloaded songs (from my Impulse Tracker days)…but this doesn’t seem posible within Renoise. (I don’t want to rip off everyone’s hard work, but for example I really like the 2 samples in the “Glide and Pitch.rns” demo file provided and would like to save those to disk). Is this possible?

(I know I could clear the tracks and use the samples to compile a new song…and I could also probably record the sample from a 2nd wav sampler and playing the sample from renoise)…but I want to know if saving samples or instruments from a .rns file is possible within renoise.

Thanks for the responses.

Bleh…

Never fails…only after I post the question do I find the answer myself. :P

-Choose Instrument or Sample in the Disk Browser menu
-Highlight the Instrument or Sample you want to save in the samples window
-Input a filename on the last line item in the file display window
-Then the “Save” option becomes available…Click “Save”

:D

Ta da! (Ta duh)

Sorry for the post…should have played with it more before posting :)

Heheh…welcome, technicalsimplicity. :)

Hey… welcome to the forum :)

I think it’s ok to rip some samples. That’s what you’d expect when you release an rns file… Of course if you rip entire loops of a song you might wanna ask for permission… just use your common sense :)

You should also check out the world of VSTi’s if you’re not into that yet…

With peer 2 peer networks overflowing with mp3s ripe for the plunder, trackers of days of yore would be salivating in envy over what’s so easily possible now…

My philosophical view on sampling is that legitimate sampling is self-protecting. If your use of a sample is so obvious that someone can trace where that sample came from, you deserve to get caught. If no-one can trace it or prove it, then the sampling is legitimate because it’s different enough (or difficult enough to spot out of context) that it’s been made yours.

It’s a pity the law doesn’t agree, but that’s the way it operates in reality anyway - if no-one notices, there’s no lawsuit.

The American laws are pretty old.
They have been electing for renewal for decades.

I consider legal sample-rips:samples that do not include distinctive vocals.