Sequencers - Will They Make Me Rich?

thank you.
introversion for me is the biggest challenge in this lifetime, and that alone has closed me out of many opportunities. I can count many thousand (okay, hundred) times when a girl was into me but i blew it just because I didn’t go for her.
well that’s getting with the opposite sex and we are talking about music.
but I am finding that it is all relative. In life you really have to go out and get it, because it’s not all just gonna sit on your lap.
Anyway these days I am starting to go clubbing almost every weekend… even if I go by myself most of the time.
… And i already know a few djs… So I am kinda watching them and talking to them about how it works in the biz.
:walkman:

Maybe some therapy would help you with your introversion? Not the digging-into-childhoold-traumas or whatever therapy, but just some way of learning practical tips and tricks to cope, you know. :)

I tried hypnotherapy a year ago and it wrecked me psyche and my wallet.
I used to see a shrink back when I was a teenager. I don’t think it helped much.
maybe exposure therapy has to be the key… just say fuckit and jump into the water.
now there’s also lsd-therapy… that’s usually fun, and I learn more about the universe than I’m supposed to.
:D

Waha, LSD-therapy could lead to some whacky stuff that’s for sure!

I say, fuckit and jump in myself. You know your life better than anybody. :)

congrats on not going to audio school :D i really believe you’re making a great decision and having the will to ask others what they’d do is really intelligent. the renoise community is very biased toward tracker-type work, but i think you’ll find most everyone here knows music and production on a more intimate level than people going to audio production schools. for example, when teaching my friend (who’s going to expression in berkeley) what a compressor does, they simply said, “a compressor turns things down”…

sure that’s true, but not worth any amount of money.

you don’t know what you’re doing until you do it yourself, learning from experience. so i second the opinion that audio production can’t really be taught. best thing to do is read about each effect, the programs your using, etc. learn all you can from text on your own. but do all of the real “learning” on your own time on whatever it is you’re interested in.

yup.
expression college is about $75,000 for 2 years if I recall right.
They have like special million dollar studios (supposedly only 1 of 4 in the world or something like that) that you can play with when you are there… but when you go home, what can you do? They told me I would have to be there from 8 to 12 hours or more hours everyday.
I’m sure that’s a top notch college, but it’s overkill unless you can afford it and live in the area… and know for sure that you will be sitting in million dollar studios the rest of your life.

yah, that’s the thing. they’re not guaranteeing him a job, and he is not at all wealthy. so here he sits, learning a bit yes, but in debt for the next who-knows-how-many years, without any hardware or legitimately purchased software.

i want the best for you dear friend :) good luck and fun learning to you. i’m from sonora, probably a few hours from you :D

Just some more random information to pass your way…

“Pay to Play”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_to_Play

There are alternative ways to learn how to work an expensive piece of equipment without having to purchase it.

You could rent time at a facility that has your desired hardware or software.

Most schools teach rules. Most don’t teach you about the politic$$ involved.

I like the saying, “your on your own”.

So collect some heroes, find the cold hard facts, acquire hard information, protect your assets, learn how your mind & body works [adlib Übermensch]

I sometimes imagine goals backwards, like I’ve achieved them already. Both as a coping mechanism and reality check.

How did I get here ?

Don’t believe that degree won’t help you at all. For many it opened many opportunities and helped to network, even if it is Biology degree. Unless you are a pure talent in networking and making music.
Many introvert people manage to network very well anyway so don’t worry about it. Just work on it.
I must disagree with opinion that you can’t succeed making music in Renoise. It’s only a tool. Rest is up to you.

do not, I repeat,

DO NOT

spend $20,000 for an eight-month course.

I’ve heard of rediculous tuition fees, but this one is the ultimate scam.

Anyone who enrolls in that is getting fleeced.

At the end of it you’ll still be unemployed, wondering how to find work, only difference is you’ll be 20 grand in the hole-- and that can turn into major financial problems in the near future, maybe even problems that you’ll never climb out of and be financially screwed for the rest of your life-- yes, these things happen very often with people who take on massive loans and then can never repay them. Interest is a killer, big time.

Spend that $$$ to upgrade your software, hardware and all the goods you need to build yourself a nice little studio for yourself.

Make your tunes, then book some events/shows/festivals, etc.

Once you start attending these public events, you’ll meet all kinds of people who will open up new doors for you every time. You’ll hear “cool beats- can you come do my show next weekend?”. Connections will come pretty quick this way. And you won’t have wasted 20Gs for nothing.

Your 20Gs will get you 8 months in a useless school, but then you need to come up with another bunch of Gs to get your equipment. Forget the school, get your equipment, get out there.

I’ll teach you for only 19 grands :)