Setting Path To Application Data Folder?

Is it possible to tell renoise where to look for its application data?

By setting the APPDATA environment key in Windows. What platform are you using?
And why do you want it to look for its data on a different place? It is better not to touch these settings at all because it affects all applications that depend on this.

I’m on WinXP. Sorry, what I wrote was a bit misleading. Yes, of course I don’t want to set this for all applications, just for renoise to look for its settings in some custom location.

Reason for doing this:
I installed renoise on an SD card, together with my collection of VSTs, samples, etc. to plug it into my friend’s PC. (I didn’t want to install it on his PC).

Now, of course renoise couldn’t find its application data on that PC, and had to use the default settings. It scanned the default VST folder (with tons of VSTs my friend had installed on his PC, but I really didn’t want to use), and of course all my custom keybindings not available. Sure, I was able to configure it all after the first start…

It would be nice to have renoise e.g. look in its own installation folder for something like PathToConfigXml.xml ;)

BTW, your advice using CopperLan was great, thanks again!

Renoise is not built for that intent. Allowing a portable version of Renoise has been suggested a couple of times but don’t expect this to happen:
A collection of VST plugins don’t easily all tolerate being started without being installed and registered officially first. A portable version of Renoise cannot prevent this from happening.

You could generate an AutoIT3 script that copies the Renoise preference folder from your SD card (be it you have to put it on there yourself first) to the actual application data location on the remote pc and then modifying the preferences.xml to adjust the VST paths to where your script-file currently resides to (or the drive location from where it is executed), this should work for vst plugins that don’t depend on registry entries or dongle protection etc but this will work primarily for very simple vst plugins.

I see…

Maybe I’ll try this next time. Actually, this is what I wanted to avoid altogether, copying anything to the host’s HD. But now I see this isn’t really a good idea because of the VST problems you explained. True, I got lots of VST warnings.

Thanks.