Share your drum synth vsti recommendations (was: Why are drum synth vsti so sparse and lackluster?)

Maybe the transient stays somehow “intact”, but it differs. It should be 100% the same at any BPM.

Here is an example, change the bpm while playing. I guess that should happen for volume modulation, too, but I don’t know:
bug-bending.xrns (3.9 MB)

But maybe I did something wrong? Then you guys will find out for sure. But AFAIK it is a conceptual flaw, even the ms-mode is based on pattern ticks or so. If the speed changes, and the env is milliseconds-mode, then the actual points of calculation will interference with the required points. So the result will be “somehow similar”, but not as intended / precise as a normal synth.

Yep , but that’s because of the envelope shape , it all depends how long you consider a transient to be ( I meant the verry first milliseconds )
But you are right , the difference is verry noticeable when changing bpm , but how often do you do that ?
All in all , this should be fixed and is worth a new thread , have you reported it ?

1 Like

Her’s a rendered instrument of yours , recorded at 90 bpm (left channel) and 140 (right channel)
The section between 2-16 milliseconds is indeed completely off

1 Like

Yes, I reported it, got no answer and nobody cared. Thanks for your analysis. Since nobody cares, I will simply use a VSTi even for drum samples from now on.

Is that multi out?

It’s worth raising this topic for a long time.
in fact, this nuance is sometimes very unpleasant when creating a sound with native renoise instruments. Yes, this can be removed with the adsr attack settings, but in some cases (for example, using a delay) it may sound like an unnecessary click

Chow Kick is a free plugin based on a physical model of the 808 bass drum circuit. It can do a lot more than just kicks!

Edit: There is also EXC!TE, a free acoustic snare synth. It sounds good but the audio is glitched for me in Renoise (macOS). You might have better luck.

2 Likes

Haven’t done to much with it yet, and no synthetic production of individual sounds afaics, so samplebased, but the KONG instrument in Reason rack plugin has tons of kits which you can instrument grab in Renoise to mangle.

My favorites for electronic beats:

Microtonic

For Kicks:

Vps Metrum

For oldschool electronic:

Softube Heartbeat

For standard drums:

Sennheiser Drumica

I haven’t heard Attack by Waldorf for years now. It was the standard for electronic drums between 199x and 200X. Untypically for a Waldorf it sounded a bit thin. I should recheck this one.

Band In A Box was a thing to go for as well, because of the large sound library and the percussion styles. It was also quite funny to throw some Karaoke files in there (e. g. Sleeper in Metropolis) and hitting the styles button and change this into Salsa or Waltz. The interface is a mess, though.

Chow is an amazing developer
love chow tape and kick , his latest stompbox stuff BYOD is also damn nice , all freeware and great sounding
https://chowdsp.com/products.html

1 Like

With VCV Rack and chapter 11 from https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/LXR_manual_EM3ZTG5.pdf
you have a great start.

You even could make this in renoise. Perhaps you need white noise as wav, but the rest: all is there for this.
You even can layer different elements of your own drums (short noise impulse for the transient, sine for sub, square with pitch envelope for impact…
Then render it, tadaaaa.