Share Your Vocal Tricks And I Need Help

I know how to do reverse reverb but I want to use it in a intro of a song and stretch the vocals out. I have a video that can show a good example of how I want to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bkq8P-o__4&feature=related
It starts around :23. How do they stretch the vocal out so long and clean or could it be just a long recorded vocal to begin with.

This one is secondary if any can figure it out, but how to they make trippy dark vocals like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsrLPlXddU starts at :53.

I don’t have any vocoders or autotune but I think it would be nice if we can just figure out a way to make some cool vocal sounds.

hi,

the first one sounds like you could just use the Renoise timestretch-trick…

C401 – 0900
C401
C401

C401 – 09FF

now select the fx-column from 0900 till 09FF, and press Ctrl-i to interpolate. you can decide where the sample starts and ends (by adjusting the start and end 09xx values), and decide how long it should be. to get it backwards just add in b0-commands on the volume column. ofcourse add some reverb and stuff.

the second one just sounds like it has a chorus on it and some reverb and delay. not much special going on there i suppose, except for some parameter automation - shouldn’t be to complicated.

anyway, let’s see what the rest will say.

For good vocal tricks, look at keith303’s old demosong, Ride the Lightning.

To stretch the vocals out you need to work with the vocal file. First you must find the part in the vocals you want to stretch. The final result will sound the best if you choose a clip that is about 1 seccond of the vocal sample. Copy this clip and add a long reverb to it (10-20 secconds) Sample the new clip, reverse it, and cut the last seccond of the clip. If you want, you can add a compressor to the new sample to make it even moore smooth.

their advice is good if you want to stretch vocals, but nero are doing something else.

1.find first word of your acappella or vocal sample (but to be honest it doesn’t matter too much which bit you use)

2.once you cut that bit out, play the sample/word/snippet in a new track. On this one add plenty of reverb and a some subtle delay.

3.Render selesction to sample.

4.once your in the sample editor use the reverse function and press enter, weird cool vaccuum counding vocal effect. sick for build ups to drops

EDIT: Oh bollocks beaten to it for the first one… might as well do the second lol

second one is using a vocoder, so if you don’t have one might aswell download this free one. http://mda.smartelectronix.com/ its in the pack and is available for both mac and windows

for this here’s a tutorial by the slightly intimidating vvoois

only thing i would add is that for this particular case the chords don’t change, and is a minor chord plus a bit of dissonance here or there…

maybe try pitching it down an octave and layering it with new rubberband tool?

hope this helps :D

The “streched vocals” in (1) aren’t streched vocals. That’s a crossfaded loop from a reverse reverb.

To get these, follow these steps:

1. reverse your vocal sample
  2. put a reverb on the track and set it to dry/wet = 0/100
  3. record the wet reverb from you reversed vocals only
  4. reverse the recorded reverb sample
  5. set your vocal sample back to its original direction (unreverse)
  6. layer the vocal sample with the recorded reverb
  7. adjust the layerings to play the reverb BEFORE the original vocal sample

The result will be a “poltergeist”-like voice effect. You can cut out the vocal reverb of any part you like, crossfade it and loop it to “fade in” vocals with it. This is gonna sound then like the effect in (1) - maybe you also have to put some chorus and stuff on it. Depends on personal taste.

Cheers,

-BA

Thanks a lot man. I will give that a try. Hey guys keep them coming and if you any of you would like to post an example or a xrns file of your trick out vocals feel free.
BTW anyone seen Keith303 latest song on youtube, his vocals sampled from Luther Vandross is sick.

bump

Ok I found a site that can give a pretty good example of how reverse reverb works. Its pretty similar from what some of you guys posted above.
http://www.beatclinic.co.uk/productiontips/advanced/reverse.htm

Still, I am puzzled on how vocals on higher and lower octave can blend together at the same pace. Usually lower octave vocals are slower but in Keith303 and 2nd video I posted the both pitchs blend simultaneously.

time-stretching. meaning, lowering the pitch while retaining the speed. you can do this in 2.6 with the Rubberband tool, or natively as i posted above: