Should I make a Linux Partition and take a look?

Hi Guys…

Is it worth it for me, to create a partition on my HP Win7 x64 and dual boot with a Linux Distribution? How’s the audio on Linux? What distributions do you like? How do I make a partition, what software do I need to separate my drive like that? What is the vst plugin bridge you are using, and do your vst’s work?

Will I see major performance gains on Linux? Renoise is native… So that’s that, but vst’s I would hope work… I don’t know

What do you think?

Also… What are your thoughts on Linux vs Windows 8

If you love using your VST’s, don’t do Linux. You will spend countless hours trying to get a few VST’s to work, which will always work better in Windows anyway, so you would have to be a real masochist to go down that road. Don’t waste your time. Seriously.

Ah, I see… “The situation is far from perfect,” yep… I love the vst’s… I understand… Your insight appreciated…

Cheers

Edit = You know… I was thinking… Its possible, that I asked this exact question before, on the forum… ( this forum ), my bad, if I did… I’m getting the strange sense of deja vu… I dunno… When I was younger, I think I smoked a bit of grass. and the memory is not what it used to be…

I will lay off the linux dream… The problem is windows is so corporate… and bloaty… I keep dreaming of, “linux land,” but I really am fucked, cause I like the vst’s… :frowning:

Honestly I’m not a fan of Apple’s policies/hype/etc, but you might consider osx. The way I use it, OSX serves as a posix-compliant unix-based operating system that DOES have software suport. I’ve found it to be less bloated/retarded than Windows. By retarded, I mean that it feels like they’ve thought through the use cases with things like how OS/software/updates should work and how the system shouldn’t hang when you’re shutting down. Low latency drivers work out of the box (don’t have to deal with 3rd party asio drivers).

The downsides are:

• You pay a premium for the hardware-software combo. This isn’t as much of a ripoff as it may seem if you factor in the performance hit of anti-virus/anti-spyware crap that’s always running on windows. But for some people it’s still too much.
  • there are hints apple is aiming towards merging osx with ios. This could be acceptable (if they allow advanced users to disable the walled-garden aspects) or a disaster (if they don’t).

It’s not a perfect solution, but for my purposes there isn’t a better option at the moment. I’m kindof hoping that developers will flock to linux if it starts to become the last bastion of general purpose computing. Then I can make the switch.

~r

I’m actually more bothered by the, “corporate thing,” than the performance thing… Check out this wack ass wack unrelated article about a google phone: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/29/san-francisco-bartender-gets-visit-from-google-ecret-police-for-possessing/

I’ve owned a MBP so I know what I am, “supposeledly missing.” Also have an iphone… I’m sorry I upgraded it to IOS 6.

Anyways…

What I hope is that, “within two years,” there will be more synthesizer choices on linux… Synths, and a few compressors… that’s all that is holding me back. Damn!!

Cheers

I get it. there was that one guy here a while back who posted about a mastering compressor for linux…

Well, there are synths for Linux as well. Some VSTi even. Some others which you can connect via Jack. It all works a bit different. Check this beat, it was made entirely on Linux with Linux VSTi: www.soundcloud.com/fladd/dreaming
Also, it sounds as if you have Windows for everyday work and want Linux for music only? I guess the other way around makes more sense. I for instance have a Windows 7 partition on my computer, which is for making music exclusively (since I also rely on Reaper for mixing). Linux for everything else. When it comes to suggesting a distro, well, this is a big topic :slight_smile: I personally would go with a debian based system, maybe some Ubuntu flavour like Minto or Bodhi.

Hope this helps.

I like that beat, very cool :slight_smile:

That’s some very interesting insight, much appreciated.

Alright, I’ll check em out, but make no promises as to whether I will install and test em. Thanks for the help

Cheers

Hi,

I recently deleted my windows partition and dont regret it yet.
Now I use Ubuntu for everyday use and like the design and feel
much more than windows. For serious audio peformance I use AVLinux.
Doesn´t feel and look very good, but is pretty well configured
towards audio, has most of the relevant Linux audio stuff pre installed
and it delivers a very stable low latency performance.

My first Linux steps were pretty painfull, since i never worked
with a console before. But there are tons of resources in the net
which helped me to overcome this. Now, the helpless feel I had
at the beginning has turned into a feel of freedom. I much better
understand now, how computer work and how to make them do the
things I want them to do.

And it also changed the way Im thinking about music production.
When I want to achieve a certain sound or effect, I now focus more on how to
achieve this with the tons of possibilities I already have, or what I have to
learn to get the new possibilities, i need (eg by programming Pure Data sektches).

I suppose, knowing about the physics of music and a little about programming,
makes the Artist more independent and creatively enabled than buying every
plugin on the market.

greetings,
Frank