Sidechaing a Bass from a kick in a complex instrument?

Good to hear! :D

Seriuosly, now i feel myself really stupid )

Why? The LFO still doesn’t deliver the same result as the Signal Follower, just similar. So if the Signal Follower’s result would have been your prefered thing, that’d not have been stupid but just legit.

I think it will happen eventually but probably as part of a wider solution to internal audio and midi routing, I’m not holding my breath for it in this beta

I don’t get how this would solve the problem? You can’t route the LFO’s output outside of the instrument, so the same problem exists.
EDIT: Ah ok I get it, but it wouldn’t work for phrases though.
One thing I haven’t checked is if you can send FX chains to different rewire outputs, that would help if you wanted to mix down in another DAW but I tend to mix as I go along certainly with things like ducking…

You don’t put the LFO into the instrument, but direct on the track’s device chain. What of course still won’t work then for sidechaining seperate instrument parts/tracks of the drums themselfes.

Somehow I’ve got the feeling, you’re trying hard to put everything possible into the instrument. Why?? Let instrument be instrument and only put in there, what makes sense. Leave real mixing to the mixer and controlling to the controllers.

I did not check how velocity and key trackers works with phrases. So yep it’s not the same, but this still will help me not use big lpb on global, that’s was my point :)

Yep, gotcha… That’s a neat solution if you are not using phrases :)

Have you tried to trigger the LFO reset from inside the phrase by pattern command, parallel to each kick? This way the keytracker of course would become obsolete. I’m just not sure, if this even works from inside the phrase.

Doesn’t work I’m afraid, you can only use sample pattern commands within a phrase, no DSP commands which makes sense given that you can have multiple DSP chains. Even it were possible a reset command would remain inside the instrument.
Just playing around with this and found a halfway solution is to simply exclude kicks from drum pattern phrases, this way drums are just two tracks - one for kicks and one for everything else.

:-/ Yeah, was afraid it’d be that way.

:rolleyes: That’s what I was talking about before! :D You’d have to use a seperate track anyway. The only disadvantage is, you probably have to setup FX the kick uses twice, if some other drums used the same FX in the origin drumkit.

:)

Yeah, actually I’m not sure what would happen if you had multiple samples all going through one instrument effect chain but triggered on different tracks… I’ll check that out later

I just tested this and it seems that as soon as you create an effects chain in an instrument it starts to behave like a vst instrument when you play it across multiple tracks, i.e. notes cut each other of and you can’t play simultaneous notes on multiple tracks. When there are no effect chains the behaviour is like it was in v2.8 and below.

Therefore in the examples we talked about before you would need to create an entirely new instrument dedicated to the kick or ducking trigger.

Yeah, for now workaround is not to use instrument dsp chains, and also keep kick and other stuff in diffrent phrases. So, we still need some kind of “meta output macros”…

This is how I side-chain compress using the actual Renoise compressor, you can make the group smaller if your not bothered about it being mono:

Sidechaining