Simple Method To Play & Listen General Midi Midifile On Renoise...

Hi All,

I am a new user of Renoise, bought it long ago but now I’m ready to use it.

I wonder if any of you managed to play midifiles from renoise using General midi soundfonts or soundbanks of this type.

The goal is to load a midifile into renoise and play the midifile using a soundfont or equivalent sound bank …

If any could describe the steps to go that it would be great !

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mumbly,
You can do this in two ways:
The usual way to do it is loading these soundfonts in your MIDI synth and then select the MIDI synth in the midi instrument settings:
http://tutorials.ren…MIDI_Properties

The other way if your soundcard does not support loading soundfonts into its own memory is using a plugin that can load these soundfonts.
RGC:Audio has a plugin called SFZ which supports loading soundfonts.

In both situations you have to configure the instrument settings for each instrument-slot that is used.

If you import a midifile, you can rightclick the .mid file and then select “Load with options” from the context menu, or simply hit shift-enter when keyboard focus is on the discbrowser, you get the options window where you can check the box to automatically create instruments and automatically link Midi Control devices to each instrument and which midi device you want to connect to each instrument.

Renoise then preconfigures all instruments for you and depending on the selected midi device, you can fire your midi song right away.
The default chekbox means that you choice will be stored in the import preferences so that these options are used by default when you import a midi file.

If you need a plugin, then you need to configure the plugin for each assigned instrument manually (manually assign it and select an instrument for it), depending whether the plugin supports multi-out instruments, you can either select an alias from the main soundfount plugin player you have loaded at the top of the VST instrument list and set a different midi channel for that instrument or load a new instance. (RGC SFZ doesn’t support aliassing)

Hi,

I am mostly set now, have a VST (GM Based) instrument installed, I use a Mac (I should have said that before).

The problem is that I don’t see how to make this on mac “The Load With Options” :

If you import a midifile, you can rightclick the .mid file and then select “Load with options” from the context menu, or simply hit shift-enter when keyboard focus is on the discbrowser, you get the options window where you can check the box to automatically create instruments and automatically link Midi Control devices to each instrument and which midi device you want to connect to each instrument.

Because my midifile now plays but only the first program / instrument is set, not all the others …

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Happy New Year !

On Mac OSX there is an AU instrumentnamed DLSMusicDevice, installed by default.

Place your .sf2 files in /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks and they will appear in the DLSMusicDevice’s “Sound Bank” drop-down menu.

Regards,

Shift + enter only works if the diskbrowser has keyboard focus. (you have to click on the diskbrowser area or use tab/ctrl+tab to switch between various areas until the diskbrowser gets highlighted).
But i unfortunately am not sure if this also supposed to work on a Mac.

With rightclick on the midi file inside the diskbrowser, this context menu should appear:

If you click the “load file with options” you get this dialog with import options:

If for some reason you are not able to get this dialog, you can also configure some default import behaviors in the preferences:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Preferences#Files

On mac this is not possible to have the shift+enter shortcut.

Anyway in the preferences / files
in the Midi Import in Midi Device I cannot set the VST instrument I want
as the Midi Device… how can I do that ?

Best Regards

That is currently not possible, that’s what i meant by saying:“If you need a plugin, then you need to configure the plugin for each assigned instrument manually”.
Setting up VST plugins can be found here:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Instrument_Settings#Plugin_Instrument_.28VST.2FAU.29_Properties

With the midi import, Renoise automatically sets up a default MIDI bank according to how one MIDI device may process the notes. Midi devices work with default bank-sets. If you want to use plugins, you may want to use several different plugins for that which is anyhow quite some work to setup and some processes (when using multitimbral plugins) require setup from within the vst plugin itself which Renoise can’t do just like that.

Thanks for your answer,
that could be part of a wishlist.
Just imagine a user who wants to load a midifile, who has a AU or VST plugin which handles general midi.
The Midifile is general midi and the loading process should be straight forward.
I know renoise is not a midisequencer in the pure sence of the word but … that could be a GREAT additional feature…

An old time tracker fan from the Amiga period who wrote the first midi tracker ever on Amiga :slight_smile:

Bye.

Yes I agree with Mumbly, it would be awesome if Renoise could be used to load and play MIDI files and export them (which is now possible with MIDI convert)

On the PC I also got it to work that it loads and plays MIDI files via the MS internal thing, but surprisingly on the Mac, which I use mostly for music that’s not possible, what a shame apple :P

THANK YOU!

Hi,

You are talking about this tool, right? > http://tools.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert

What’s not possible exactly? Can you post in the Midi Convert thread if it’s a bug?

yes ooops and of course it should say now instead of not sorry =)