Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

Thank you. I have been singing the praises of this piano roll on social media since i discovered it yesterday :slight_smile:
Could you please just let me know regarding the renoise playhead scrolling being switched off. Is that by intent? Not end of the world just slightly annoying.

Regarding the ā€œundoā€ crashes, this is ā€œfairlyā€ easy to reproduce for me, if I draw something in while renoise is playing, then press undo while still playing, it crashes.

Cheers!

1 Like

Currently yes. It will disable it on note editing tasks to prevent issues during playback, when it switches the pattern. I could add an option to disable this, but it could be confusing, when you edit a pattern during playback und it switches it. Thatā€™s the reason, why iā€™ve added this.

I tried it with the current build. Cant reproduce it yet. Maybe my last change fix it. Could test this, too? Iā€™ve pushed the latest xrnx to github: Download

Currently yes. It will disable it on note editing tasks to prevent issues during playback, when it switches the pattern. I could add an option to disable this, but it could be confusing, when you edit a pattern during playback und it switches it. Thatā€™s the reason, why iā€™ve added this.

No worries at least I know itā€™s not me doing something weird. MAYBE a ā€˜politeā€™ thing to do would for it to turn itself back on once pianoroll is closed, if it was on when it was first opened. this would work for me. (maybe a user pref).

I tried it with the current build. Cant reproduce it yet. Maybe my last change fix it. Could test this, too? Iā€™ve pushed the latest xrnx to github:

I only tried it for 15 mins but couldnā€™t crash it!!! Really positive!!! Will play some more tomorrow.

One final suggestion, and forgive me for not reading the manual yet so could be a reason for itā€¦ to duplicate notes you hold the Control (mac) button down while in select mode. Fine. But why only in select mode? Maybe allow shift+control to duplicate parts in pencil mode. Just saves unnecessary tool switching. No worries if not possible.

All the best

1 Like

Good point. There is an option to allow note moving and scaling in pen mode. So its more like the FL piano roll. With this option, note duplication with shift or ctrl shouldnā€™t be a problem, too. Would this solve your request? At the end, this option should mimic more the FL like workflow.

Yeah, it could backup the follow player state on piano roll open, and when the idle function is called, when the piano roll is closed, it can set it back to the old state. Iā€™ll try to add this. Hope it doesnā€™t causing other quirks.

Edit: Iā€™ve pushed another test build which allow you to do note duplication in pen mode. Just enable this option:

Bitw. hold alt key to draw notes in select mode is something iā€™ve used for years in Reason from version 2.5 till Version 11. Muscle memory :smiley:

1 Like

Fantastic, canā€™t wait to try it. Am out till this afternoon but back later.

Still canā€™t believe this exists, and not only that but how responsive & caring you are about making this into perfection. And succeeding!!!

Can I send you donation or anything? You must have put soooo much time & energy into this now.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you, but itā€™s not necessary. :slight_smile:
I was waiting and hoping for a piano roll tool in the past. One good start was Work in progress: Piano roll But was never released. After some research of other tools to learn how the API is working, i got some time to develop my own. Iā€™m using it a lot since and its currently my way to go for melodies.

Edit: Btw. its crazy what Renoise allow us users to do with this API feature. Something we cant do in FL, Reason or Bitwig. Thatā€™s the reason i love to work in Renoise so much.

3 Likes

Wow thatā€™s an amazing attitude you have. As you wonā€™t take anything then may the universe bestow good karma on you good sir!

One question - is it possible to make ā€œdeleteā€(backspace on my mac) delete notes? That would feel intuitive to me. Infact other than double clicking a note i canā€™t seem to remove anything on the piano roll itself. Cutting (Ctrl+X) had some crazy results, removing seemingly random notes. Is this a potential bug?

Cheers!

Iā€™ve uploaded a test build again. Backspace is working now. Del is working, too. Ctrl + X works fine for me, maybe you can record this?

1 Like

Hey :-). Delete now works perfectly, thank you! Cut worksā€¦ but the thing is that on MAC the shortcut for ā€œcutā€ is always Command+X. So itā€™s currently not consistent with the rest of the OS or Renoise itself. I probably confused you on the previous post as I made mistake writing Ctrl+X, sorry about that.

Cheers!

I have get an out of bounds array error.

it came up as i try to copy and move a selection with shift key. Maybe i stop keypressing little to early between the copy&move routine, because I slipped off from the shift key. //Edit Maybe i click ā€œundoā€ in mainmenu before the error screen came up. dont remind me exact.

hope it helps you to locate the bug. Keep on, its outstanding tool

happy tracking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, yeah got this error sometimes, too. Its hopefully fixed for the upcoming version.

com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll V3.2 (for Renoise 3.3 / 3.4)

New update with some fixes and features.

Easy change of instruments and mix them in patterns

Its now possible to change instruments for notes. It also auto color note buttons differently, when mixed instruments are used. Its based by simple color hue shifting of the note color. Amount can be changed in the settings.

Ghost track notes can be mirrored now

So its not needed to duplicate notes over octaves to use them as guidelines for melodies.

image image

Full changelog:

• feature: add instrument selector, so itā€™s easier to switch instruments in patterns or mix them
  • feature: mirror notes of the current ghost track
  • improved: reworked scale degree and roman numeral detection (bVI, bVII and more) and added missing chords
  • improved: automatically use different note colors, when instruments are mixed in pattern
  • improved: allow also note duplication, when note move and scaling in pen mode option is enabled
  • improved: allow to delete notes via backspace
  • improved: click on piano grid without an active selection will set the play cursor position
  • improved: set follow player back to old state, when piano roll closed
  • improved: add ctrl as alternative for scrolling horizontally
  • improved: sort notes in piano roll before render, so a note button will always be visible
  • changed: renamed ghost note color, not needed for ghosts notes anymore
  • fix: scale button was visible, when it should be outside the grid
  • fix: wrong coloring, when track color is used
  • fix: sometimes wrong note block coloring, during scrolling
  • fix: note column switch during selection was not working
12 Likes

Great to see the regular updates to this tool!

thanks again for the continued efforts!

edit:

@toimp The mouse warping compatability mode seems to be working nicely. Did taktik find a solution in latest renoise release. If so is it an Lua API option? or something else. I missed what happened in later beta rounds.

3 Likes

Its feels abit ā€œsmootherā€ now, but i think its still not very useful at least for tools like mine. Thatā€™s the reason why iā€™ve added this compatibility mode, so everyone who needs mouse warping can still use the piano roll tool without quirks. I use the snapback option of the XYpad control to detect left mouse button release. So the mouse cursor would jump to a specific position, when mouse warping is enabled.This can be very confusing. The compatibility disables all functions, where i need the left mouse button release state. I hope, there will be a control option in future to disable mouse warping for a specific XYPad.

I see, compatability seems to be much more usable for now at least,

like you say, hopefully there can be a complete solution in the future to avoid the XYpad stuff.

Best what you can get is native implementation.

com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll V3.3 (for Renoise 3.3 / 3.4)

Another update with a bigger new feature and some changes and fixes. Please note, preferences is now in the bottom right, but also can be accessed via main menu.

Histogram

It can be used to add randomness to volume, panning, delay and even pitch but with alot more control. Itā€™s inspired by Bitwigā€™s histogram feature, which iā€™m find extremely versatile. You can affect the amount of randomness and how the values should be changed. In pitch mode, you can turn rhythmic note patterns on a specific note to ā€œrandom melodiesā€. Pentatonic sub mode is an easy go for that.
The histogram can be accessed in the top bar next to the delay controls. Jut select some notes and hit the button to manipulate them.
Iā€™ve removed the old humanizing buttons (ā€œHā€), because its not needed anymore. Hope you like it.

histogram

Made a little video to show you, how you can use it:

All dialogs are non modal now

Iā€™ve changed all dialogā€™s to non blocking ones. I hope it doesnā€™t break anything. It feels much better, when Iā€™ve used the histogram and see the note changes instant.

Full changelog:

• feature: new histogram to manipulate note properties (vel, pan, dly and pitch)
  • improved: change modal dialogs to non modal ones (scale select, histogram, preferences)
  • changed: reorder note property controls in the top bar, so itā€™s more tidy (instrument, length, vel, pan, dly)
  • changed: move preferences button to the bottom right
  • changed: bring back the old switch to ghost track button next to the select box (more convenient to use)
  • changed: set follow player only back, when it was automatically disabled for editing actions
  • removed: old humanizing buttons (not needed anymore)
  • fix: wrong notes shown of ghost tracks with more than one column
  • fix: nil errors when preferences was opened via main menu, when piano roll wasnā€™t opened before
  • fix: bad note off state of notes
16 Likes

Awesome

2 Likes

I donā€™t hear anything when clicking the piano keyboard, adding notes or moving them, which box do I need to check to hear the note Iā€™m clicking/handling?

You have to open options and connecting to server or something like that. You will see it