Skrillex Dubstep?

It all boils down to this…

It’s like what happened with industrial music. Anyone doing anything slightly out of the box with metal got called industrial in the mid-late 90s like K0rn. Which totally annoyed industrial fans because metal industrial wasn’t proper industrial as far as they were concerned.

So now anything with a wobble bass gets called dubstep when… Similarly dubsteb isn’t about the wobble bass (I don’t think there’s a single wobble bass in the entire burial repertoire.

Thing is… I like Skrillex, sorry, but I do. I mean, I think Feed Me does the complextro thing better but I still really like his stuff.

The tragedy for me is the death of complex and/or polyrhythms. Polyrhythms and odd timing was once as much of a hallmark of the genre as the wobble bass became.

now it’s like booom WOB WOB WOB WOB Tish WOB WOB WOB WOB repeat.

brostep!!111111

don’t worry… it will be “sooo last year” very soon. it reminds me a lot of hardcore in that it’s all about the breakdown(br0down!!)/drop. a bit of a one trick pony imo.

i think it will be a pretty strong underground genre though which will live on. the most positive thing about it to me is that it’s mostly instrumental! i wish more people would get into that.

would be interesting to play analog woms attack for one of these teen fans.

@maes: oeeehhh very good one with the Analog Worms Attack :)

the answer has been given:

their style together with an ugly drum 'n bass extract was being listened by a lot of peeps when i was in highschool. i think that’s where the majority of tracks labeled as dubstep/grime became really unexciting.
kind of an interesting phenomenon that mainstream influence always ruins the sound and particularly the soul of a style of music. i still don’t understand why.

:lol:

I think this is the best way to describe the sound of skrillex :)

Yup, thAt skrillex guy he’s really just playing rock ‘n’ roll. he so much as intimated this in that one song. but, whatever happened to sitting around banging on a log around a fire outside the clan cave entrance? that was real music! jeesus…

haha, i though he is she…skrillex, you know. lol.
gay music for gay ppl and oh yeah, dubstep is shit.

f*ck you queer macbook hipsters!!!

Ain’t that the truth.

I don’t mind some dubstep now and then, I do quite like it as a breakdown for some electro tracks too, but I find the sheer volume/quantity of dubstep now consuming the creative minds of many overwhelming.

I feel like we are at a 1:1 original song to crappy dubstep remix ration now. :blink:

At least with industrial or jungle it stayed relatively underground …

i’m pretty sure the general public (kids) will grow tired of the commercial skrillex-style dubstep soon… and something new and different will appear, conveniently at same time when NI launches some new superplugin that happens to be excellent at that particular style… hehe…
No, but seriously for how long can a so rule-based subgenre really survive? (“has to have” 140 bpm, hard kick, fat snare, mechanical farts, cheesy vocals, trancy licks…) Of course there is a lot of cool and more interesting dubstep out there, but this commercial stuff I assume won’t be top of the pops much longer…

i guess that’s why i like deep-house and techno so much, it’s so freakin’ timeless B) in some cases you couldn’t tell if a track was made inn 94 or 2012… still amazes me when that occurs.

Screw dubstep. Brostep ftw!

How to Pronounce Skrillex:

… more?
How to Pronounce Justin Bieber

to cAMEL, please save those kind of comments for some other place and let the renoise forums be a place for intelligence and open mindedness. No one takes a homophobe seriously anymore.

Skrillex is a ‘boyband’-equivalent of laptop performers. C’mon, he’s Sonny Moore, the ex-singer of Atreyu… he had a team of managers behind him, 5 man strong… His voice breaks, he cannot sing any longer… He makes some electro tracks for fun, his managers pick this up, contact Mau5trap for a deal and bam! Skrillex first EP is a fact! However, the quality of the productions simply couldn’t ‘compete’ in ‘heavyness’ on the dancefloor. No wonder, with guys like Noisia, Feed Me, 16 Bit, they’ve been doing this gritty bass thing for years… Skrillex vanishes and comes back with a wall-of-sound EP, with remixes by none other than… Noisia, Datsik… Coincidence? I don’t think so. The increase of the production quality is insane, I wouldn’t be surprised if Moore simply got the know-how from these guys. And why not? He was part of a lucrative music business before. From this point of view, you could argue that Skrillex’ music has nothing to do with dubstep in the ‘rave music’ sense of the word. One does not see a line-up with Skrillex as headliner. One goes to a Skrillex concert. This being said, doesn’t change the fact that Sonny Moore has created some god awesome music in a relative short amount of time and for that I tip my hat.

It’s interesting… Could this happen because dubstep was already ‘accepted’ as potential mainstream dance music, or did dubstep become potential mainstream music because of acts like Skrillex? Personally I’m not very interested on what effect this has on ‘the scene’ or parties. I’m sure everybody here knows exactly how and where to find the music he loves! :)

1 Like

:blink:

opinions and/or tastes are only thing you can argue with.
with pure facts you cannot or if you will, you’re an moron.
so
i have my right to like what ever i like and dislike what ever i don’t.
(especial when being Off Topic section…)
that’s it.
and for me, dubstep is gay.
although so is trance,
but still i don’t get insulted cos its other ppl opinion.
can you deal with it?
i’m sorry if you can’t but it’s not my problem.
peace, cAMEL

edit: and no, im not a homophobic,
even skrillex turned out to be shemale.
im straight, just don’t get boner from this kind of stuff…sry

What is a fact?

Many years ago it was a fact the sun revolved around the earth and not only were you a moron if you disagreed but you were possibly not long for this world either.

More recently Newton’s Laws of Motion were equations to represent some of the basic truths of reality. Until Einstein came along and “proved” them to be just approximations. Although approximations that will bear up against anything we are likely to come against in day to day life.

How many dimensional planes are there to this universe we live in? I can sense three and experience time but many of the most favourable theories of today rely on there being many more (folded) dimensions we can not see or experience in everyday life.

So are people morons for questioning the Truth of the day?

dubstep is gay :clownstep: