[sloved] Ubuntu 9.10 Problem - Stuck ALSA

Hello!

Im using Renoise on Ubuntu and everything was finetill I updated to Ubuntu 9.10. Since then I have no sound in Renoise, I can not play tunes and can not edit them.

When I start Renoise from the terminal I`ve got this error message:

Threads: Timeout while waiting for Thread2 to finish its commands!!

I`m using ALSA and I guess everything is ok with it, because there are no error messages for ALSA in the log.

Any ideas what can be changed in the libraries?

Try via the console:

sudo alsa force-reload   

I`ve already tried it. Nothing changes.

When Renoise starts there is a moment when it creates new song and I`m waiting 30 seconds to see this new song. If I open some of my old tracks Renoise does not play them and I can not edit them.

Actually it throws some errors:

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/del/.gvfs  
 Output information may be incomplete.  
Terminating processes: 7670lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/del/.gvfs  
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-idt snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-idt snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer).  
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-idt snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-deviceWARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.  
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.  

Which is the chip sound ?

lspci | grep -i audio  

or

alsamixer  

or the best :

aplay -l  
``` ![:)](https://files.renoise.com/forum/emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/421250

or update alsa (french) : http://monespaceperso.org/blog/2009/11/01/…mic-koala-9-10/

what version linux ? :

uname -r  

I have sound. The only problem is with Renoise.

2.6.31-14-generic

Is it Ubuntu 32-bit or 64-bit?

If you use 64-bit:which 32-bit libraries are installed?
Alsa should work on 32-bit drivers
Jack should work on 32-bit drivers (buffers should be set to 3 i believe, you have an Intel HDA, we have specific instructions for that audio chipset on the tutorials site).

It`s 32-bit Ubuntu and as I said - I use ALSA and I used ALSA before and everything was just fine till the update to Ubuntu 9.10.

I don`t understand what is this “Threads: Timeout while waiting for Thread2 to finish its commands!!”

As you may see from the log ALSA starts without errors.

We only know for sure that the HDA intel chips are critical in buffering.
If they are set too tight, you get unexplainable errors.

At least for Jack this results in getting buffer underruns and crackling.
I bet there are a lot of topics around the net on “Intel HDA” and “Linux”.
Even for Windows patches have been written for HDA embedded soundcards. (I usually see RealTek involved with those though).

So perhaps you get even more specific tech-tips if you search “HDA” and “Linux” only on google.

In this context this means that the audio thread was started (the thread which is polling ALSA) but does not run to do its job. Aka, ALSA IO got stuck for some reason…

Have you already tried disabling the capture device (only enabling the playback device), changing sample rates, buffer sizes & number of periods for ALSA in Renoise?

taktik, thanks mate!

I set the In device to none and it played some sound, but there is a little latency. I turned off the LADSPA plugins too. What else can I do?

If you got it running now, try playing around with the num periods & buffer sizes…

So it was the capture device which made ALSA stuck? Probably the capture device needs a special amiunt of perids/buffer to get in sync with the playback device. Often its 3 with Intel HDAs.

You could also try if Jack does a better job running ALSA. Aka, connect Renoise to Jack, which then is configured to run ALSA…