Solution for the need of PianoRoll

Perhaps being vocal about it would let them know how much we would prefer this than some other features? Then again, maybe other features are more commercially viable at the moment.

Yeah, and i do not know how you are going to sell a DAW without any kind of Snap Grid of some sort. Renoise is really the only one that still has the GUI from the early Nineties… with no Snappable Grid. lol

No coming to think of it, i really am not sure if it is a good idea to try and improve this software to todays standards simply because it seems that there is a lack of interest from the development for musically intuitive and functionally enriching features

You know, the kind that Apple does… functions that people actually really need.

We might actually get a Grid with a feature that is blocking musicality some other way, because the intent to improve what was already great the Same GUI from FT2 from the nineties is not there

that GUI we got now is still feature wise excactly the same and not musically improved in any kind of way, so i do not know it is a good idea to try and share what we really need.

Looking at what happened with Sample Chopping functionality ( no REX even though it is freely available from Propellerhead for all developers ) is a good example

So no i am no longer trying, i just hope someone else will improve the trackers with a Grid that is actually very much on the top of anyones list when choosing a DAW to work with…

( key word: “to Work with”… not just play around or passing specs sheets )

There is a real reason, why we do not hear Tracker Music on the Charts… and that is that There is no Tracker with rich enough features to produce that polished and well timed groovy sound with all the SideChains and Audio tricks (done on wave forms) on different tracks

Thank you everyone for your input though… personally i will be moving on to something else

( i got a private email from propellerhead that revealed what i stated above about rex, so i know what is the real motive… and it is okay… )

Cheers and let us all make great tunes on our softwares of choice

Would ve loved to be able to make beats with Renoise… but it simply does not make sense to type Hexadecimal increments on every single hit that a person wants to Groove into a new timing… that is just crazy … and for people who do not want to make real good music that convey emotion and excitement

And no, please i do not want to Code an App/Extension that does that for my DAW either

Thanks all for trying with me, lol

I mean i really see there is an interest to make it in the market…

But come on, there is ( and was, and has always been ) so much potential in Trackers to be something really Amazing and different from anything else.

And where is the Musical Evolution of the GUI…

um…

anyone?

Yes it is nowhere in sight… because no one has actually taken the approach in coding with the idea to make something that is great and functional even more great and functionally enriching… FOR THE MUSICIAN

Personally i only see an interest to add features and glue them all over the FT 2 / MadTracker engine…

Which is basically what Renoise and all other trackers still are.

No one is taking the approach, to actually implement features that people are using…

Do they even know anyone who makes Really Really AWESOME Beats with Trackers ( and maybe is a recording artist with another DAW ) whom they could talk to?

I m sure they could find one if they wanted.

• Hint… I ve been here… for awhile… trying to really help you guys improve this unpolished gem *

But no. They do not seem to talk to anyone but ITAlien and some other people who only make tracker music for renoise forum. So i will be using something else… that is not just built on someone elses idea, but actually goes into the idea, and expands on it.

See you all, possibly on another forum.

And thanks again for the support.

And why again is this an important topic?

And why am i so infuriated by this?

It s because we really need better and more innovative tools to make better music especially in this time and the world we are working to improve with our sound.

And seeing the potential, and the lack of interest is just so lame… Not just from Renoise posse, but in general from most Devs… now there are a few good ones out there, but still you know… There is a lot to be done musically, and we really need a better gui and core features than an idea from the nineties… As great as it was, is and will still be, it just does not do the things that we musicians really need to do to be happy with the work that we want to do on this planet at this time

The flow of composing needs to be natural for the musician, for the people to feel a natural flow in the music that the musician created.

Let that be your main focus… and disregard all crazy bolt on feature requests from wannabe i knowitall dj s who just want to compare technichal spec sheets instead of creating something awesome

Let that be your main focus…

And you will have the best software, ever created, for any man on this planet for making music.

That is the potential i still see in the trackers… Being totally wasted here, lol

Again,

Thanks everyone, and see you

But for now i am laying down all my wishes for ever creating music based on FT2 engine… that is actually an improved updated one giving an enriching experience both for me and the ones listening to my music afterwards.

Gosh, what a waste man

I was thinking the other day how to fix this all a bit, and I realised a cool idea that is relatively not-hard to implement via tools. For zooming and fine editing of note position, and a new an wonderful feature that provides the latter: hitpoints to note position.

Slice markers that control the note position! yay

Click to view contents

not going to write that though, already got spoiled by a folded piano roll with multitrack view

A piano roll would indeed be a nice feature… for many people, I would probably use it to move notes around once in a while.

If it is ever implemented I hope they make it a separate editor that has nothing to do with the pattern (tracker) editor.

Don’t hold your breath! :badteeth:

It is a tough topic. Piano roll would definitely serve some purpose - if not for everyday use then for some parts which are very time-consuming in a standard vertical tracker like moving multiple notes forward or backward that was mentioned here before. On the other hand, the software would take a big step towards traditional conventional DAWs and because it has a lot of conventional DAW functionality already, with piano roll included it could fell like the software is losing its own identity.

That effort could (and IMHO should) be focused on keeping Renoise’s own tracker vibe and concentrating on actively overcoming all the shortcomings that the tracker format possesses. I’m sure there are ways and means and many users on this forum have great ideas that would bring huge improvements to the software, now it’s just devs that have to listen :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the path that Renoise devs take is improving what the software is already great at, which under normal circuimstances is great but there are too many workflow holes for everyday chores to really fly with Renoise unless someone hits the jackpot and needs all this sample-mangling stuff that Renoise brings without much need for complex automation, advanced selection, humanizing, more complex note operations which would save huge amount of time etc. etc.

It’s still a great piece of software though :slight_smile:

You know, the kind that Apple does… functions that people actually really need.

I have never in my life owned an apple product and i shure as hell don’t need it. Renoise on the other hand is what i need.

You speak like you’re the opinion of the people, but you have to understand that people have different views.

I want improvements for Renoise, but i want them to improve what they already got, not shape it into any other DAW just to try to become the new commercial hit.

Do they even know anyone who makes Really Really AWESOME Beats with Trackers ( and maybe is a recording artist with another DAW ) whom they could talk to?

But no. They do not seem to talk to anyone but ITAlien and some other people who only make tracker music for renoise forum.

They obviously know them, yes:

If they also talk to them, I don’t know.

Those people are also exceptions amongst the Renoise users. Most people that use Renoise (or at least most of the ones being active in the Renoise community) seem to be interested in what I think is called IDM or some other form of rather experimental sound creation, where classical musical ideas might not be the main driving factor. I believe Taktik himself is also grounded in this scene, which explains his motivation to develop Renoise in the direction he does.

Having said that, I do think that having a bit more genre diversity in the community would be nice, though.

guys, SoundLight saidhe left already…

+1 for the piano roll. Come on Renoise devs, Renoise is an excelent DAW. Please hear our voice. I have been making electronic music for over 15 year. Over time we had Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, Protools, Studio One in the studio etc. And nothing can beat Renoise, it’s our primairy tool. I’m wearing a Renoise T-Shirt 5 days a week so that should say enough. But i need that $^%$ piano roll. Some complex melodies take to long to enter in the tracker grid, and my creativity is gone. I’m using the tracker grid 99% of the time, but should it have a simple piano roll that would make Renoise a killer DAW.

It would be nice if you let your users know what features you have planned … and which not. I have been waiting for almost 5 year now, because i know there is a brainstom topic on this subject. And i alway thought you guys are working on this feature. I can’t find find any recent Renoise development progres on this website. It’s realy unpleasing for us to left in the dark.

No hard feelings, again Renoise rocks. It is worth any penny and i’m suggesting it to any artist i talk. But i desperately need this for my workflow.