[Solved] 0Sxx Effect And Mixer Volume Control Questions

Hey

Ever since I’ve started using 2.8, I’m having a bit of trouble with the 0SXX command. In older versions, I could use the sample editor view to see exactly what values for XX I needed to use to slice a particular part of the sample. This seems to have changed in 2.8 and I cannot figure out how to get it back to the old function. Note that I have “Snap to OS Effect” turned on.
(Image for clarity: http://i.imgur.com/KGotw.png)

Second question, howcome in the mixer view, the volume and panning controls affect the volume and panning at the beginning of the effect chain, rather than the end? I use the mixer view to finetune things during mastering but when the volume slider at the beginning of the chain is affected, it can change the sound of the entire chain, particularly if I have a lot of distortions. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the mixer controls affect the volume and panning at the end of the chain? Also, it’s worth mentioning that I have no knowledge of any DAWs outside of Renoise, so maybe this is just an industry standard thing.
(Image for clarity: http://imgur.com/fLMCr.png)

Thanks!

Right-click the lower ruler and choose the appropriate mode:

3250 renoise-sample-editor-0sxx.png

Switch from Pre to Post:

3252 renoise-mixer-pre-post.png

Well, first of all, there are two mixers. One pre- and one post-mixer. The pre-mixer is the one you’re able to automate. Of course at some point of mixing automating the post-mixer might also make sense. But its actual suppose is to enable you to adjust things, after you’ve done all your automation and stuff. If necessary the post-mixer enables you to correct a whole track, instead of correcting all automations again. That’s why it’s a good thing, it isn’t automatable. It’s really just for the very final touch. Everything else you can achieve with a Gainer DSP, which enables you to place additional automations/settings for leveling, panning, etc. with most possible flexibility at any position within your individual DSP chain.

This I didn’t know and will probably stop me moving over to live when trying to create accurate chops in big files. :)

Excellent. Thank you!