[solved] Apply Sample DSP FX: unexpected behavior with Filter DSPs

Renoise 3.1 b3 32bit, os x mavericks 10.9.5

Something tricky going on here with Digital Filter device and applying track dspfx on sample.

See pic 1 (before). Here is an unaltered sample playing thru Digital Filter 6130 digital filter settings.png

Something is very not right here i guess. The first thing i thought it might be an issue with AOM’s limiter, i removed it completely from the track and did the same scenario and the filter issue is still there, so this VST is not causing that strange behaviour.

IMPORTANT EDIT:
I’ve tried this with different Digital Filters modes, like filter types and oversampling, the result is the same - rendered sample (without any fx on track or in sample itself) sounds absolutely different (still low frequencies there!) to an unaltered sample playing with with the filter device on the track.
Also i’ve tried this with Analog Filter device, the result is the same too! Low frequencies still present and sample sounds different!

EDIT 2:
Also i’ve tried to remove all dsp from track, and put filter device in sample and tried to render with sample dsp chain, the result is the same as mentioned above.

I notice that your sample is 96kHz. Are you also using 96kHz in your audio preferences for live playback?

Do keep in mind that the SFX/TFX function will apply the DSP FX at the sample rate of the waveform itself, not the sample rate used during live playback (assuming it’s different).

Perhaps this is a bit confusing, but it would probably be more troubling if Renoise were to destructively up/down-sample your waveforms without warning, just because you applied some DSP FX.

I notice that your sample is 96kHz. Are you also using 96kHz in your audio preferences for live playback?

Do keep in mind that the SFX/TFX function will apply the DSP FX at the sample rate of the waveform itself, not the sample rate used during live playback (assuming it’s different).

Perhaps this is a bit confusing, but it would probably be more troubling if Renoise were to destructively up/down-sample your waveforms without warning, just because you applied some DSP FX.

I use 88 for playback, i’ll try that now and see what happens.

UPDATE.

I’ve set my playback to 96khz and did the same scenario, the result is the same as i described, also i’ve changed the sample’s rate to 88 and set playback rate to my usual 88 - result still the same.

As dblue said: note that the sample FX is applied at the sample’s sample rate (96kHz) and not the one of the song. So you only get the “expected” frequency cuts when playing back the sample unpitched afterwards too.

In other words: the real-time track DSP filter gets applied to what you hear - whatever pitch you are playing the sample with on that track - on a possibly already resampled sample. When offline-processing sample FX to the sample, it gets applied to the sample’s original, unpitched rate.

In general it’s easier to use “Render to sample” in such cases, cause this explicitly renders one or more !notes!, a possibly already repitched sample, instead of the raw sample.

If you could share the little test setup (song) that you’ve used, we could have a more detailed look into this. Maybe there is something else wrong, apart from that this is confusing.

As dblue said: note that the sample FX is applied at the sample’s sample rate (96kHz) and not the one of the song. So you only get the “expected” frequency cuts when playing back the sample unpitched afterwards too.

In other words: the real-time track DSP filter gets applied to what you hear - whatever pitch you are playing the sample with on that track - on a possibly already resampled sample. When offline-processing sample FX to the sample, it gets applied to the sample’s original, unpitched rate.

In general it’s easier to use “Render to sample” in such cases, cause this explicitly renders one or more !notes!, a possibly already repitched sample, instead of the raw sample.

If you could share the little test setup (song) that you’ve used, we could have a more detailed look into this. Maybe there is something else wrong, apart from that this is confusing.

Yes, sample played at not original pitch (f-6 instead of its original pitch c-4), i’ve just did the same scenario test but at original sample’s pitch - all working as expected with no issues at all (means low freqs cutted and sample sounds absolutely the same). Thanks A LOT for explanation taktik ^_^Case solved.