[solved] I'am too dumb for midi routing usage ?

Hey guys,

tried the midi routing today. used the BlueArp Arpeggiator and piz midi plugins.

However, even after half an our I couldn’t get a decent sound from it. Two times I heard something like tones, but somehow it seems to be coincidence i

I used the midi vsti’s as plugins, routed their midi output correctly to other vsti’s and also to renoise samples. Somehow nothing happens.

Actually I wanted to use the routing to play two VSTi’s with a single track. I intended to use a kind of split/double midi plugin for that.

Help is appreciated !

System:

Win7, x64, Renoise 3.1 beta 1

Ok I’ve found the problem:

whenever the target VSTi has a lower instrument number than the source midi VSTi than the routing doesn’t work. Probably a bug ?

Nope, not a bug. That’s just how it works.

You’re sure ?

I don’t get why the order should be relevant at all. The expected behaviour of Renoise so far was: I can move the instruments to any position in the instruments list even while song is playing and the pattern data is adjusted automatically. Now, somehow the order should be important for routing ? That means: I can’t move stuff in the instruments list without care anymore ?

I don’t fully understand the reason, but it’s how routing has always worked in Renoise…it’s mentioned in the 3.1 release notes:

Support for VST and AU MIDI generators (Arpeggiators):

Another big feature for 3.1 is support for plugins that generate MIDI, or a combination of MIDI and audio. This means that you can use specialized tools such as harmonizers, note matrices or arpeggiators - things that can “drive” other instruments in Renoise.

_ The implementation allows you to route the MIDI output of the plugin into another instrument further down in the list of instruments. This target instrument can be another plugin with its own MIDI output (allowing you to chain MIDI-generating plugins together), a “normal” plugin (one that just generates sound) or even the built-in sampler in Renoise. The only real limitation is that you can’t trigger instrument phrases via a MIDI plugin._

The technical reason is simple: the sender has to be processed before the receiver to avoid delaying the output. Instruments (plugin instruments in this case only) are processed in the order you see them.

We could rearrange instruments under the hood to make sure that things are in correct order, but decided to keep this transparent to the user. This left-to-right, top-to-bottom processing rule is consistent with many other things in Renoise too.

But the [NA] labeling obviously isn’t enough here to visualize this. Has anyone an idea on how to make this more clear then?

I suggest:

GH72kKN.png --> uYSjbBa.png

1. Have a dimmed, struck-out routing indicator
  2. Double-click the struck-out indicator to “put the sender where it should be” by moving the sender instrument to just above all its receivers.

oki … thanks guys, I obviously missed that “further down in the instruments list”.

but does this mean I have to be careful when moving instruments up/down in the instruments list ? So far I never cared about it.

@taktik

Maybe this would be an argument for rearranging things under the hood ? I understand that the top-down left-right approach makes sense regarding e.g. track order and send devices, but I didn’t expect that in the instruments list

oki … thanks guys, I obviously missed that “further down in the instruments list”.

but does this mean I have to be careful when moving instruments up/down in the instruments list ? So far I never cared about it.

Also my first reaction when I tried 3.1 for the first time: https://forum.renoise.com/t/yes-midi-routing-trigger-has-to-be-above-triggered-one/44497 I never cared about the order of my instrumentlist either…