[Solved] Random GUI Lag in OS X Yosemite

Okay, so first off, hello everyone! This is my first post in the Renoise forums. I’ve been producing electronic dance music with Renoise for over three years. Good to finally be here!

Anyway, so this is a recent problem that has somewhat plagued me. This has never happened to me before on OS X Yosemite until a few days ago (and I’ve had the operating system for months, so I don’t think that’s the problem).

I had 3.0.0 when this starting happening. It just… randomly started happening. The master spectrum, scopes, volume meter, the sliders in my device chains, and even the pattern editor have an annoying slower frame rate.

I’ve tried adjusting the frame rate settings in the Renoise preferences, but it doesn’t make a difference to the frame rate unless I turn it like wayyy down. So I updated Renoise to 3.0.1. SAME ISSUE! It’s like I never updated at all! It’s kinda weird, considering I don’t recall ever changing anything in the settings or anything drastic on my computer before it started.

I’ve searched on graphics lag on the forums before posting this, and they all seem to have been caused by plugins. However, I have not added to or deleted any of the existing plugins I already have before it started happening.

Any tips on this? Any help is greatly appreciated! Especially since I’ve got some tracks I really wanna get done!

Thanks!

EDIT: I have (and always have had) 64-bit Renoise.

Hey please isolate more accurately under which circumstances these problems will appear… Did you install a renoise tool/extension, does it happen in other daws, do you do any action like moving a control on a midi device etc

Thank you, Jurek, for your response.

I didn’t install any other Renoise tools or extensions before it started happening. In fact, once it did start happening, I uninstalled some of my tools that I don’t use very much, but it made no difference.

I have no ascertainable graphics lag in GarageBand, my other DAW on my Mac.

It also is not caused by a MIDI controller. It occurs without any MIDI hardware (other than the computer keyboard of course)

It occurs any time the graphics move somehow. Whether it be the pattern editor, sliders in the DSPs, the master spectrum, the volume meter at the top, or even the sample editor playhead, there is a slow frame rate in the whole of the program. It happens no matter how much I restart my computer, and it even happens if nothing else on my Mac is open. It’s weird. Very weird. And annoying.

Any possible solutions? It’s still happening… :wacko:

There seems to be a tiny amount of lag when samples/instruments are played with the computer keyboard. So it could be performance lag in Renoise as a whole. I still don’t know the cause.

Hm, sorry no idea. Whats in settings refresh rate? Or try another OSX version since Yosemite tends to be buggy.

Unfortunately I also have no idea what could cause this.

To make sure it’s really really no option in Renoise that was change and also not a tool try to temporarily remove your Renoise preferences, then test if the problem is gone. To do so locate Finder to “HOME/Library/Preferences/Renoise”. Then Rename or backup and delete the “V3.0.1” folder; all the preferences are store in there. Then start Renoise.

If this does not help: has anything else changed in the last week on your computer. Did you installed some new applications or an operating system update?

Hello,

It’s maybe obvious but you should check your battery if you have a Mbp. I know when i only have 5% of my battery, there are some big lags on Renoise.

Unfortunately I also have no idea what could cause this.

To make sure it’s really really no option in Renoise that was change and also not a tool try to temporarily remove your Renoise preferences, then test if the problem is gone. To do so locate Finder to “HOME/Library/Preferences/Renoise”. Then Rename or backup and delete the “V3.0.1” folder; all the preferences are store in there. Then start Renoise.

If this does not help: has anything else changed in the last week on your computer. Did you installed some new applications or an operating system update?

This worked. I appreciate the help very much, taktik! :slight_smile:

Glad that the problem is solved.

We’d of course like to find out what exactly caused this. Would you mind sending us your old preferences folder (to support AT renoise), so we can test things out here? Or could you try adding back your old tool from the old preferences first, then the old config file to check what could have caused this?

Hi, taktik!

Sorry for the late reply on this. Here’s the preferences folder. It includes the 3.0.0 prefs and the 3.0.1 prefs because the problem was in both versions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8vjzAnjFNuzdUdiYUdwa1pCVUE&authuser=0