[solved] Setting up external synth - plays twice in Renoise

Hey all,

I’ve been using renoise for about 8 years now, and i love it. I never had any problems with it.

Most of the features i figured out on my own, but now i really need your help with my external synth.

I have been using VST instruments and samples in the past, but recently i bought a MiniNova synth.

I hooked it up to my PC via usb and to my Focusrite Saffire 6 soundcard via Line-in.

When i turn on my pc and my synth i can play and i hear audio, so this part works.

When i open renoise and select the MiniNova as midi instrument i can play notes and renoise registers these notes. Also in playback mode renoise syncs to the MiniNova and plays the notes and the synth appears to be working, but the mixer does not register these sounds. So i read in the renoise online manual to put a line-in effect for routing on the track.

I wanted to edit the audio so i played a few notes, and enabled the line-in on the track.

But when i want to edit the audio, for example, fade out or use an effect i still hear the original sound from the synth playing. So in other words; i hear the audio from the synth twice. This created a kind of flanger effect (like when you play 2 of the same sources at the exact same time)

This is really frustrating because i cant really edit my sounds like this.

This might be obvious to some of you, but i can’t seem to figure it out how to silence the original source and only keep the line-in to renoise.

I used this part of the manual to set this all up: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/MIDI

In short:

How do i make renoise play the sound of the synth only once and ready for editting, so i only can hear the editted sound and not the source.

Maybe it’s a soundcard issue or maybe it’s renoise. I dont know

I’m using Windows 10, Renoise 2.8, Novation MiniNova and a Focusrite Saffire 6 soundcard.

Sounds like your sound card is configured to monitor the incoming signal. You want to disable that and monitor only through the Renoise line in.

Sounds like your sound card is configured to monitor the incoming signal. You want to disable that and monitor only through the Renoise line in.

Thanks for the reply. Already fixed it. It was indeed a soundcard setting. I had both input and playback selected at the mixer, which resulted in output signals.