Some Practical Suggestions...

Hello people.
I’d like to share some suggstions with you, some of it might have appeared earlier here by other users:

Pattern editor:

• There is an opportunity to hide vol/pan/del columns per right click in the pattern editor… but as far as i know only for the current colomn.
    It would be very handy to hide all vol/pan/del and effect(!) colomns of the entire song with one click.
    Especially for small screens etc. One of the main aspects why I like trackers is the good overview,

• I find it hard to select certain areas without using the mouse (maybe I’m doing something wrong here?)
    If I use shift + arrows always a complete track will be selected, but what if i want only the effect or the volume column f.e.?
    As far as I know, there is only ctrl+A as a key command to make selections.

• i’m not sure if this function exist (i couldn’t find it!), it’s something i know from old-school chip trackers, however it could be still handy to have it in renoise: diverse copy paste commands, that allow to underlay/overlay what is copied in the buffer to a track that already contains notes or commands and also one to swap the buffer with the selection… these things save a lot of time.

Sample editor:

-It has been mentioned here earlier, i do it again:
separate selection of stereo samples, (f.e. like in wavelab gui, when clicking above the 0 line of the upper channel or below the 0 line of the lower channel, it is possible to make a selection only within this channel).

-…

wait, there were some others, i’ll come back later with that :)

:) 2 more things while using it:

• the speed of the curser :)
    Keyboard repeat rate can be adjusted in preferences, however I find it still way too slow when it is set to 5.
    I’m always wondering is that really the maximum speed possible? I don’t find it very intuitive to scroll around with the keys… to use a mouse in a tracker neither

Sample/ Instrument Editor

• The envelope editor is great, I use t often to design sounds.
    But it’s a shame that the pitch max f.e. is only 1200 cent. It would be easy to make f.e. a bassdrum if it would be possible to inrease this range 2-4 times…
    Also the resolution of the time-line could be better to have more percise controll…
    I really hope this is going to be improved one day.

also, i think it is counterproductive to start a thread called ‘some practical suggestions’, ‘some ideas’, etc, because it will never focus one a single idea. it will probably end up fading into oblivion with a couple of comments, and no real discussion or anything. just saying, for your future consideration.

thanks rhowaldt for digging these threads out.

you’re right of course, next time i’ll start a separate thread for each idea,
it was just due to lazyness that i didn’t, but at least i have it written down and saved somewhere now ;)

no we have to read more threads that we actually can’t really ignore :P

Before making any suggestion hitting the Search function for a while is always a good idea. A lot of the time there will be a suitable thread to bump ;)