Something I Don't Understand In Renoise

i wonder about this since i know renoise.
the channels don’t seem to have an own dynamic range, it seems all completely relative. i mean clipping for example never occurs on a channel, but only on the master, unlike in other virtual studios.

now the question is, how do i know what the actual level of a channel is?
and when for example i want to adjust the thershold of a compressor?
also, how does a compressor react in renoise? wouldn’t input-level dependent effects not expect a fixed dynamic range to work properly? do i probably have to put a gainer in front of a compressor? and how do i know how to adjust the gainer?
?

well that’s an interesting suggestion, but still wouldn’t make me stop wondering.
what i meant is the fact that you can amplify a channel until the master clips, so i wonder where 0db of each channel is. or is 0db on one channel simply 0db on the master?

staying at the compressor example: i’m unsure how to use them in renoise. because my intuition says (not sure if it’s true though) that one should level the signal so the peaks reach 0db before feeding it into a compressor, b/c since compressors have attack and decay, you don’t want no headroom on the signal.
so, since seperate channels don’t have their own dynamic limit, how do i tell a compressor what level is to be taken as 0db?

long time ago … i suggested a totally normal level-meter for every track … the track-scopes are no help to see a track clipping … the old-school tracker-fans love such stupid dancing waves … i don’t need this!

taktik! please!

Is peaking and clipping really such a rampant problem?
Bass player’s answer:
Turn your shit down!

Keep your track volumes down and yer speakers up.
Master it later.