Sorting in the Advanced Pattern Editor

So I find that when I do live recording the order of the notes is all jumbled and the root note of a chord might be all the way on the right and some other note on the left, etc. I thnk it’d be really neat to have a sort option that orders the notes from lowest to highest horizontally and vice versa if people like to do it the other way (or not, idk I would only use it from left to right probably).

I’m sure a plugin for this already exists or would be insanely easy to make, but I was just looking for an option to do this in the advanced editor and saw nothing.

So I find that when I do live recording the order of the notes is all jumbled and the root note of a chord might be all the way on the right and some other note on the left, etc. I thnk it’d be really neat to have a sort option that orders the notes from lowest to highest horizontally and vice versa if people like to do it the other way (or not, idk I would only use it from left to right probably).

I’m sure a plugin for this already exists or would be insanely easy to make, but I was just looking for an option to do this in the advanced editor and saw nothing.

Hi, how are you?

I’ve been fighting this issue for a long time…

Currently does not exist a plugin or tool that sorts the notes horizontally. In this topichttps://forum.renoise.com/t/solved-help-lua-function-to-create-a-group-with-two-tracks-one-col/46138I have tried to build a XRNX tool with the help of other forum members to sort the notes, especially thanks to joule.Unfortunately, the tool is not complete, is in beta stage, so to speak.

Basically, you can sort the notes, provided that there is no “lost parameter”.If you are interested, I can share the beta tool.Unfortunately, it does not seem to interest the forum members.

Something as basic as sort notes per octave columns has always been ignored!

If you are really interested, I’ll talk to Danoise , DBlue and joule (people who know the LUA code) to see if between all get finalize it.Need to add some code to run at 100%, including the “lost parameters”. You can read from comment #65,The project is stalled here.Unfortunately, I does not have knowledge enoughof LUA code to correct it.I need help…I want to finish it.

You might be interested in this topic also:https://forum.renoise.com/t/piano-roll-integrated-in-pattern-editor-a-advanced-pattern-editor/46102Continually speaks of the order of the notes, although some in the forum do not seem to know very well what is it about…

Do you know the LUA code?

I think this is the tool you’re asking for, made by Ledger: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-3-1-reorder-notes-by-pitch/39315

I think this is the tool you’re asking for, made by Ledger: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-3-1-reorder-notes-by-pitch/39315

Some time ago, I prove the tool of Ledger in R3.0.1. It seems to have errors in the code or lack more code, which eliminates some parameters and also does not work with the Notes-OFFs. FFX commented the ruling a year ago.Ledger said it will review, but the thread was dead.

If you play live with a keyboard, the pattern is full of Note-OFFs.It would be necessary to use more columns for not overlap each note durations, in the conversion.

For me, the two tools would be very useful if they work perfect. Both Ledger tool, such as sort notes per octaves have failures (Note-OFFs, lost parameters,and things like that). It is a pity they have not been completed…

Damn, I figured it would be easier than this, but I guess I’ll check those out.

Thanks!

I know python but not LUA, so I would have to do some learning before I could make a plugin.

Damn, I figured it would be easier than this, but I guess I’ll check those out.

Thanks!

I know python but not LUA, so I would have to do some learning before I could make a plugin.

Good news! I am proud to announce my new tool: GT16-Colors.

You can download it here:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-gt16-colors-v1-2a1-updated-12-june-2017/46473

This tool is somehow related to this topic. Integrate advanced tool “SPNO”. Download, use and enjoyment!

SPNO sort pitches per octaves, using a group with ten tracks (each track with 12 note columns).

On the other hand, it seems that Danoiseis workingwith another tool to order, related with the mentioned tool of Ledger,to sort notes within a single track. All is not lost, and it seems that the order will take center stage these days…

I would love to see note sorting on-the-fly while recording, too! Do not see a reason why it should be an additional step…

I would love to see note sorting on-the-fly while recording, too! Do not see a reason why it should be an additional step…

Hi ffx. This depends of Renoise Team (taktik…), can not develop through LUA tools, as I have understood.

The only way noninvasively iswith a option (a checked box).Thus, you could record the traditional way, or ordering the notes (two forms).But the code must be under the hood.While not integrated into the API,It is necessary to use a tool, a step if is a menu, or two steps if is a floating window.

For me this issue is ridiculous.Renoise should have resolved this years ago.The first objective of any musical program should be sort notes, it is so basic …

For me this issue is ridiculous. Renoise should have resolved this years ago. The first objective of any musical program should be sort notes, it is so basic …

Renoise inserts notes in the (time-) order that you play them. So it stays true to what you actually played rather than representing it in a different way. Just because it doesn’t do exactly what you think it should doesn’t make it ridiculous. And tools solve this easily enough so what’s the problem?

Renoise inserts notes in the (time-) order that you play them. So it stays true to what you actually played rather than representing it in a different way. Just because it doesn’t do exactly what you think it should doesn’t make it ridiculous. And tools solve this easily enough so what’s the problem?

The sort of the notes (the pitch). Renoisecould record otherwise, does not because it is not designed.I ask, what is the problem sort the notes in real time?Is it so difficult to order the highest pitches to right and lowest pitches to left?

Renoise not order, Renoise accumulates.The problem is not in the recording itself, but what you read later.The sound result will be the same in one way or another. No later reading.If not able in real time, unless there is an option under the hood of a step.

Think notes remain in the same position in time (column position), but not in the same place (position in the line).The problem is not the first part, but the second part.What you mean by “first”, the time or the place?

You read this phrase again and again and think.: “Renoise inserts notes in the (time-) order that you play them. So it stays true to what you actually played rather than representing it in a different way.”

@Raul: don’t forget that the OP asked about a quick and easy way to sort notes.

You’re right that Renoise accumulates - because, that is the only thing which makes sense when recording in realtime.
But post-recording, things can get sorted. Perfect for a tool implementation, really.

Some time ago, I prove the tool of Ledger in R3.0.1. It seems to have errors in the code or lack more code, which eliminates some parameters and also does not work with the Notes-OFFs. FFX commented the ruling a year ago.Ledger said it will review, but the thread was dead.

Inspired by this, I’m 80% done with a technically solid voice sorting implementation that can be easily adopted to other tools.

When I say solid I mean no “lost” voices due to bad note-off detection etc.

For me this issue is ridiculous.Renoise should have resolved this years ago.The first objective of any musical program should be sort notes, it is so basic …

I clarify my point of view, because maybe Pad has misinterpreted me.It is ridiculous that Renoise not have a integrated sort notes option, no matter whether in real time or not, the fact is that it does not.

@Raul: don’t forget that the OP asked about a quick and easy way to sort notes.

You’re right that Renoise accumulates - because, that is the only thing which makes sense when recording in realtime.
But post-recording, things can get sorted. Perfect for a tool implementation, really.

I really hope your new tool sort notes.We will have a tool to order. But perhaps, it should be integrated into Renoise, not with a tool.

Perhaps there is some effective method to record in real time, or almost in the time,first recording in a virtual table of 120 notes or more, or something, and then accumulating the notes already ordered in the represetanción the pattern editor.There must be some way to solve. First order in virtual table and after acumulate in the track for the representation.

Inspired by this, I’m 80% done with a technically solid voice sorting implementation that can be easily adopted to other tools.

When I say solid I mean no “lost” voices due to bad note-off detection etc.

Good luck with this odyssey!It is not easy to avoid all cases (overlapping notes, repeated notes,all parameters accompanying notes (vol, pan, dly, etc…, jumps between patterns…)).I hope it works perfect :slight_smile:

I stole the image. This image invites us to reflect!

The sort of the notes (the pitch). Renoisecould record otherwise, does not because it is not designed.I ask, what is the problem sort the notes in real time?Is it so difficult to order the highest pitches to right and lowest pitches to left?

Renoise not order, Renoise accumulates.The problem is not in the recording itself, but what you read later.The sound result will be the same in one way or another. No later reading.If not able in real time, unless there is an option under the hood of a step.

Think notes remain in the same position in time (column position), but not in the same place (position in the line).The problem is not the first part, but the second part.What you mean by “first”, the time or the place?

You read this phrase again and again and think.: “Renoise inserts notes in the (time-) order that you play them. So it stays true to what you actually played rather than representing it in a different way.”

It’s really simple: Renoise records notes in the order you play them. So if you play a C-E-G chord, with the E and G a bit earlier than the C, Renoise places those notes first. It faithfully reproduces the notes as you played them.

While you may not_agree_ with how that works, it is_logical_: it follows a well-defined and understood logic.

If Renoise sorted the notes low-to-high automatically, then you would lose one_aspect_ of readability: seeing which note was played first. Because with the current implementation, you just need to read left-to-right, top-to-bottom to understand the notes_as they are played_.

You want to view the notes differently? Cool! That’s what a tool is for. Or maybe they implement some native sorting in the future. Who knows…

But here are the facts:

1. Renoise doesn’t currently do that today

2. You can do it with a tool

That applies to a_lot_ of stuff in Renoise. And you’ve taken advantage of that in writing your own tools!

I get the functionality that you (and OP, and others) want. It totally makes sense. But I think it’s unfortunate, and unfair, to call it “ridiculous” that Renoise doesn’t behave this way automatically, or that it isn’t natively supported.

There’s a ton of amazing stuff in Renoise. And the process for making improvements is straightforward:

1. Propose a change

2a) Wait for dev team to implement, or…

2b) If it’s possible to implement with a tool, make a tool!

I didn’t misinterpret you. I understood you completely. I just disagree with your assessment that this missing functionality is “ridiculous” – “deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd.”

It’s really simple: Renoise records notes in the order you play them. So if you play a C-E-G chord, with the E and G a bit earlier than the C, Renoise places those notes first. It faithfully reproduces the notes as you played them.

While you may not_agree_ with how that works, it is_logical_: it follows a well-defined and understood logic.

If Renoise sorted the notes low-to-high automatically, then you would lose one_aspect_ of readability: seeing which note was played first. Because with the current implementation, you just need to read left-to-right, top-to-bottom to understand the notes_as they are played_.

You want to view the notes differently? Cool! That’s what a tool is for. Or maybe they implement some native sorting in the future. Who knows…

But here are the facts:

1. Renoise doesn’t currently do that today

2. You can do it with a tool

That applies to a_lot_ of stuff in Renoise. And you’ve taken advantage of that in writing your own tools!

I get the functionality that you (and OP, and others) want. It totally makes sense. But I think it’s unfortunate, and unfair, to call it “ridiculous” that Renoise doesn’t behave this way automatically, or that it isn’t natively supported.

There’s a ton of amazing stuff in Renoise. And the process for making improvements is straightforward:

1. Propose a change

2a) Wait for dev team to implement, or…

2b) If it’s possible to implement with a tool, make a tool!

I didn’t misinterpret you. I understood you completely. I just disagree with your assessment that this missing functionality is “ridiculous” – “deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd.”

Ok!

Hi pat

When you are ordering the notes, which will sound first? Which it is above.I do not read positions, read the notes and times, with ordinates pitches.I prefer to read from top to bottom, all of a sweep, as Renoise reproduced, but with the ordinate notes.You take a particle of paper. To compose music.Turn ninety degrees clockwise.Any form it looks like this in Renoise, is welcome to me.Accumulation of notes, does not sort notes, accumulates.Perfect. But it remains ridiculous this topic (the general topic), although you pretend to say that I am a mocking…

How is it possible, that there is no native option to order the notes in 14 years of development? For me, this is ridiculous, sad, desolating,a joke in bad taste… You interpret as you like.I do not want to offend anyone, it is a criticism.Ledger made a tool long ago.I think someone else did something similar with another tool.But among all, Renoise Team and members of forums, in 14 years, we have not been able, somehow, that Renoise holds an option, in any manner whatsoever, to sort the notes. Is ridiculous! Compose music means sort the notes!If you do not want an option to facilitate this, it’s ok.If natively, this is a guarantee of compatibility. Many tools fail Renoise official updates.The next tool of Danoise help better understand the melodies for me, and others, others who are not in the forum.

Yes, there are plenty of incredible things in Renoise.Some missing, although all fulfill the forum rules literally!Renoise can be much more, although some be conformed and alarmed by reading certain words somewhere in the forum.