Sound Card

something with at least 4 analog ins and 4 outs. anybody have especially good or bad experiences using renoise with any?

1 Like

Yo Aaron! ;)

I picked up an rme hammerfall DSP multiface 24/96 with a laptop interface for about ÂŁ250 off ebay not so long ago. Absolute steal!

Installing it in the first place was a little bit scary - there was some issue with it being an old model I think, and apparently there was a tiny chance the installation would go wrong and I’d have to send it to the US to get sorted… Luckily that didn’t happen!

I don’t think it’s an issue with newer ones… Think it’s just cos it needed a hardware update…

Works like a dream in the current version of Renoise & Vista/XP… 8 analog ins, 8 analog outs, crystal clear top-end - very low jitter - can capture analog synths better than any convertors I’ve used before… Latency down around 11ms… I don’t think there’s a better sounding soundcard out there

I actually got a tip-off about Apogee just before I was looking to upgrade… I don’t know how accurate this is, but it comes from a pretty reliable source…

Apogee obviously made a name for themselves with high quality convertors some years ago, but apparently the company changed management or ownership a few years ago, and their recent convertors have had a number of design changes which a lot of engineers haven’t been so keen on.

So I was advised to check out rme first. I think the price probably gives people the impression rme are semi-pro, but as far as I can tell, the convertors sound truer to source than the Rossetta, and certainly a big step up from motu and echo.

thank you sirs! that RME seems wicked, will have a look around for one.

1 Like

I use an Emu 1616m. It is really good, but only has two Hi-Z inputs… There are a load more inputs round the back though, so it might suit you if you dont go for the RME