Stereo

Yeah, it needs to be put to the Ideas/Suggestions forum at some stage. I’m just too lazy. :)

Nope, don’t know. I’m don’t use Renoise enough in the composing sense, so don’t know such things. But my guess is that you can’t. Why would you want to though? :unsure:

Well it isn’t any more stereo than if you had both pots panned to their neurtral, centre position. It just widens the stereo field by moving either or both of the oscillator sounds through the stereo spectrum. So really it just widens the stereo field.

That looks like the worst VSTi I have ever seen (actually I’ve tried it before a year or two ago, but now I remember why I quickly stopped using it). It’s probably just me though, but it’s everything I don’t want to see in a software plug-in.

Anyway, what was the question again? If you can pan the sound? Well, no, not in the plug-in itself. But you can pan the audio track from within Renoise of course. And you’re right, judging from the look of it the output probably is mono.

Yeah, they are.

I use a selection of both, but as I’m an engineer (or trying to be anyway :P) I tend to focus on samples because I precisely know what’s going on. But when I do remix or engineer a track from time to time I use a selection of both.

As for the different wideness, you’ll just have to find samples that suit your need, although VSTis such as the Korg Legacy and others I can’t remember now will give you his already, usually too much even.

Yeah, it needs to be put to the Ideas/Suggestions forum at some stage. I’m just too lazy. :slight_smile:

Nope, don’t know. I’m don’t use Renoise enough in the composing sense, so don’t know such things. But my guess is that you can’t. Why would you want to though? :unsure:

Well it isn’t any more stereo than if you had both pots panned to their neurtral, centre position. It just widens the stereo field by moving either or

Yeah… I know what you mean :)

Oh, ok.
Well, the old arranger was in hexadecimal (at least when I choosed the hexadecimal-option in configs) and I like to work in that way… I’m also used to it. Gonna suggest this as well then :) Actually, I’d like to have the Stereo Expander in hex as well, since the 8xx (panning) effect works this way (if you have the hex. option…) On the other hand it is not really the same thing maybe…

Well, whatever it does, it really sound like full stereo when I’ve set the dots to iether side. :)

:lol:

Well… First let me say that I’ve tested every single freeware VSTi on www.kvr-vst.com, and Synth1 beats the hell out of everyone else both in easy-to-use and soundquality. Actually, everything but the percussions and the windeffect in Justice In The End are from the Synth1 VSTi. Btw, I have an updated version of that song btw, better bitrate-sound quality, etc…

Still I’m curious, what is wrong with Synth1 VSTi? Maybe a bit ugly interface, but still easy somehow…

OK, thanks.

OK. :)

However, the thing with VSTi’s should be every engineers dream because you can adapt, transform, tweak, etc so it sound exactly like you want it. Samples are more or less limited… But well, of course if you have a sample that acts exactly like you want it then it’s great but when I search on the net for instance I very rarely find what I’m looking for.

A combination is probably the best, yes.

Ok thanks for tip! Too much… Wideness you mean?

You can always try the oldskool sample-offset effect or the surround effect (bitwise turning a sample inside out) on two tracks.

If you want to have it done in the same track but with subtracks, using delay-values in the panning-column may also work.

No, it’s not the same thing. There stereo expander doesn’t have anything to do with panning, but rather adjusts the width of the stereo output somehow. I could guess how, but I don’t really know how it works exactly. Either way, it has to be % because that’s how it should work. 100% is full width, whereas 0% is normal stereo.

It’s exactly like taking two regular samples (be it mono or stereo, although a stereo sample will be more noticeable) that have an almost similar sound and panning them hard left and hard right. In the P8, you take one of the oscillators and pan it left, and the other oscillator, which might be slightly different in the sound it produces, and pan it right.

Well, yeah, apart from the (to me) ugly look and unfriendly feel of it:

1. The amplifer ADSR pots don’t have digital readouts. What if I want an attack of 960 ms so that the sound fades in over 2 beats when working at 125 BPM?
  2. The gain doesn’t have a dB readout.
  3. The velocity pot doesn’t have units.
  4. Again, same problem on the filter ADSR pots.
  5. amt doesn’t have % or dB units.
  6. freq doesn’t have units (this one really pisses me off)
  7. No units for the other filter pots either.
    8 Equaliser: WTF? Why put an equaliser on a synth when you can use other, third party equaliser with a hundred times superior quality. And again, what is the frequency? What is the level you’re setting? This is simply taking technology from 50 years ago when everything was analogue and all you had was pots and sliders. Nowadays we can (and I certainly like to) work a lot more accurately than that so we want things to have a digital readout to give feedback over what’s going on.
  8. Similarly, a delay on a synth?! And what is time? ms? feedback?
  9. Why waste even more CPU by adding in a cheap chorus effect. This can be done externally to a much better result. Spend more time on improving the actual synth rather than adding all these cheap effects and making the interface look even more cluttered.
  10. LFO speed should have a Hz readout.

etc. etc.

Like I said, it might be just me. But why use stone age technology? There’s a reason digital came along. Take advantage of it.

Oh, and no, it wouldn’t simply be the case of adding a tooltip displaying a value whenever you hover over a pot, because that would mean I’d be stuck for hours trying to set the appropriate value I want. And when they do have this, what pisses me off even more is when they don’t have a way of accurately adjusting the value by holding down shift or control. They make me go into Control Panel and adjust the movement speed of my mouse, and what happens? The pot still moves in increments of 10 or 20 instead of 1 or less.

All they need is to put a digital field below where you can actually type in values too. Exactly what Waves gives me. :D

Yep.

So is this a good way to make stereo?

Well you might be right on all these things, and I have no great knowledge about technical stuff as you. But I’m learning and Synth1 gives me more knowledge about things, as I turn the knobs (and yes, then the amount displays) I hear how the sound sounding different. And I guess we dont need exactly 7.000 hz… But turn the knobs with feeling ;)

This is still a FREE VSTi and I am still not convinced about one FREE VSTi synth that is even close to its sound. After all, you cant deny the fact it SOUNDS great… I’m not talking about the original bank (but there are a few good presets there too) but the banks & patches are on the Synth1 page on www.kvr-vst.com

You should read Rave-N’s tutorial when he talks a lot of good stuff about this synth hehe, :) I’d really enjoy to read a discussion between you guys :yeah:

Well, then give me some advices of what to use instead… FREE stuff to begin with. But I’m gonna buy something in the future as well…

I know what you mean, it took a while for me to practice this when I wanted only a little ms with the Big Tick Dual Delay for instance. Anyway, just hold down the mouse button and then drag the arrow FAR AWAY from it towards a corner of the screen or something… Then you can adjust more accurately.

Waves… I’ve heard about this. It’s probably the best thing ever, and the great pack costs like 1000 dollars if I remembered right. :D

I don’t see why not. :)

Well that’s where it’s probably just me. I prefer digital over all that analogue stuff and the things people say about wanting to turn knobs for the feeling of it. If there’s a melody centred around the note C, and it just doesn’t quite have enough presence, I’d specifically boost at 4186 Hz rather than trying to find the right frequency by sweeping through the spectrum with a knob. Besides, doing so is an attempt to find 4186 Hz anyway, so why not just type it in and be done with it.

Well my opinion is that free stuff is never really good in general, so I can’t advice anything there.

That’s the weirdest way of being able to do that I’ve come across so far. Thanks, will add it to my list of things to try when I run into the problem.

Yep. I seriously think that if they cut the prices of their software plug-ins by half or a quarter, a lot more people (including me) would buy their stuff, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t be able to put hardware effects out of use even more.

Not everyone knows that 4186 Hz automaticly means the note C ;) I guess you had to turn the knobs for a while as well, until you found that amount.

But I think you’re turning down Synth1 VSTi maybe a bit too fast because of the look of it. If I can handle it somewhat, I think you can too. Not saying that you should start using it, but your very harsh criticism maybe is a bit exaggerated ;)

Me too!

Maybe its my english, but I didn’t quite understand this sentence…

No, I just use this page. ;) By now I know all the C-frequencies (16 Hz, 33 Hz, 65 Hz, 131 Hz, 262 Hz, 523 Hz, 1047 Hz, 2093 Hz, 4186 Hz, 8372 Hz, 16744 Hz), and some of the G, F and D frequencies as well. I guess it’s just something you pick up on over time when using them a lot.

Probably, but I don’t exactly need it anyway. :)

I just mean that they’ll go to compete even more with hardware effect units…

Well, Atlantis, THANKS a lot for all the answers in this thread! I really appriciate it :) I guess I can ask you over MSN in the future ;)

umm… sorry for posting this silly question, but how in hell i can put that right channel precise to 10.45ms? each time i try to scroll and squeeze that knob extremely gently, it goes straight to 32.50 or something…and i haven’t figured out how to digit that 10.45ms manually in that vst…? please help me how to get that 10.45ms, it always goes way too wide with mouse scroll!

uhh… find it already :) i took the arrow to the left corner of the display and this way i got more specific rates when scrolling the knob :) this stereo-tip works great! too lazy for doin’ this 830-8C0-thing…

mda stereo
kjaerhus classic chorus
kjaerhus reverb
basschorus

the classic series from kjaerhus i do use alot! love them!

Damn this topic is old!
But lucky I got back to it, I somehow missed this back when you posted it.
Yeah now with time I found out the old sample offset thing, and it’s without a doubt my favourite way…

Never thought of doing it in subtracks though - but I can’t have them next to each other because then both notes will take effect. Didn’t understand what you meant with the panning/delay tip…

The dx command delays the note trigger by ‘x’ amount of ticks. x has to be less than the ‘speed’. This command must be inputed in the pan column.

Where in the tutorial is this notified?

http://tutorials.renoise.com/?n=Renoise.EffectCommands

Under the “Panning Column” heading