Support For Lv2 Plugins On Linux

Any update on LV2 support?

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/lv2-from-developers-standpoint
seemed appropriate to post this here.

Reads like LV2 still isn’t mature enough to make it worthwhile implementing it and also is not going to become that mature:
I seem to extract that LV2 is going being replaced by a different standard. They are still doing the right things in the Linux world to make it the average development project hell on earth of keeping up with all these standards if this is true.
If i would be a programmer of a Linux DAW, there would not be one hair on my head considering implementing dying API’s, pure waste of time. But i can’t tell if this is very true for LV2.

i dont know much about the people who are in this article, so i cannot say if its bias or not etc, but i did notice that version 1.0 of LV2 is out.
i do know that the feature he says is causing him compability issues with his code where pre 1.0 and all that feature has been in the roadmap, so really dunno where the line goes of whos fault is what.
i’m no programmer, i do some dsp stuff and i make synths formyself sometimes, i dont use lv2, but the stuff ive seen made with lv2 is really nice, i like it more then vst due to the license and more then dssi because i have the personal experience of it being more stable. i would love to be able to use my LV2 plugins in my dsp chain without having to muck about with hooking things up, we linux users dont have that many plugins to play with, so every little thing helps. personally i just want convolution reverb in my DSP chain :) the rest i can more or less learn manage without.

is implementing LV2 really that big of a deal though? (haha i know this might come off as ignorant, sorry :D)
does it really require that much resources and time to implement? linux is a ‘in development’-type of OS, i can see how this can be a problem for a commercial product and how to support it etc. anyway, im just happy with all the feature i have in renoise as is :) beats my old tracker by miles.
oh and that guy who started the development LV2 seems to be a nice reasonable guy, you could always ask him questions directly, i have seen him hang out in #lad on freenode, he is probably idle though, he seems busy coding ; )

Imho, there is truely nothing wrong with progress as long as people setting a solid base for a standard that can be build upon and will last a little longer than just a couple of years.
If i understood Taktik’s reaction, supporting DSSI was already a PITA to achieve yet everybody is calling that currently a dying standard, so why support a new standard, if there is nothing that ensures its existence will last for a very long time?

the main thing that ensures its existance is its use, not how well it has been coded or how well the standard is enforced(because plugins are used by users not developers, and users dont care about anything except the practical reasons of its use), and the main thing that ensures its use is its implemnetation in DAWs so that more people start using it and the code gets used and reviewed, this is also how code (can) develop and standards get agreed upon.

I understand Taktiks reaction and argument, its valid, he is doing a cost/time judgement, he does not want to put in too much time (which is our shared money, because we pay his salary by using his software) for a small(ish) part of the renoise community for a feature that might not be very useful in the end.

but then again, problem here is the practical reasons to do it. :) we (linux users) dont have a good convolution reverb which works in renoise, it works in ardour and in qtractor etc. not saying this feature is the most important of them all, but i would argue that it is important.

im sure there are more lv2 plugins that are useful, i am only using convolution reverb as an example.

There are quite a few “linux audio gurus” supporting LV2. More and more plugins are being ported and there are even some commercial ones out there (LinuxDSP). No death in sight if you ask me.
LWN article

Basically, I would love to see LV2s in renoise! :D

taktik, devs, here is a link to a short interesting, current, article on linux plugin formats, in a well respected journal by a well respected linux audio guy, check it out:

< http://lwn.net/Articles/502183/ >

bottom line on lv2, it’s had first stable release now, it’s not for exactly the same purpose as dssi, and a flood of opens source and commercial plugins are now using it and the flood is increasing daily. as mentionned in another post lv2 support now in ardour, so another serious linux production tool is supporting it.

it’s really required for linux pro audio support now.

+1(00) for inclusion in renoise please. i am a registered (and pleased) renoise user whose main production platform is linux.

cheers.

Well i’ve done all i can to make you guys cough up the pro arguments.
Now just wait what the devs themselves think of it.

me quotes me:

and btw, as also mentionned in that article, it was not a waste of time supporting dssi, it is not being replaced by lv2 and dssi is looking healthy too with a bunch of new and interesting stuff available and in development for it. so taktik, devs, don’t despair on supporting dssi, it was the right thing to do. ;) and so is supporting lv2 now.

I would also like to see lv2 :wink:

Me too

I’m waiting for LV2 in Renoise too.

I think that LV2 is now mature enough to warrant the devs looking at it again. There are many superb effects and synth plugins available exclusively in LV2 format. The documentation for developers has got a lot better recently too.

I have been looking at programming a synth and lv2 seems much more straightforward (and flexible) than dssi now…

is this true? :panic:
and how is the status of LV2 support by now?

cheers

I believe Loomer have plans for doing LV2 versions of their stuff, and pianoteq has an LV2 plugin too.

I am lacking the words to express how much I would appreciate LV2 support in Renoise for Linux.

but cant you use lv2rack? all midi and audio can be piped using jack.

cheers,
sure, workarounds are always an option … no problem with that.
but if i understand correctly, the purpose of this thread in this section of the forum is not about collecting suggestions how to make use of lv2 (despite), but actually collecting suggestions for new features in Renoise (?)

while, from a very strict and conservative point of view, many of the “feature enhancement” :rolleyes: suggestions tend to be somewhere between “rather” and “completely” redundant, or beyond the purpose and concept or scope of Renoise …
(not meaning to diss them however, just saying)
– supporting lv2 in linux, to me doesn’t file under “crazy features” but (extended) “basic ability”.

since it’s called “plug-in” and not “plug-around” :lol:

heck, for Mac you have both, VST and AU support as well …

[irony]
or why not get rid of VST support in the Windows version altogether and use external plug-in hosts and Jack or Rewire anyway …?!
would make the whole thing slimmer and easier to maintain, I guess
[/irony]
;) sometimes less is more

@dev’s:
maybe we should get allocated a “donate for lv2 button” …?
i understand working for linux is being a gentleman and not being a businessman … very often hardly affordable
but then again, by nature, Linux gets only as good as people happen to make it.

your right, fuck vsts, replace the plugin window with a dedicated redtube browser.