Syncing multiple instances of renoise?

This may have come up before, but is it possible to sync up 2 instances of renoise? I assume by rewiring renoise to a second instance of itself. Has anybody tried this?

If you just want to sync tempo and song pos., you can do it with a MIDI clock.

One instance is your master clock and others are slaves… You have to set virtual MIDI port so the master clock goes to the the slaved instances. I use Copperlan on win64…

The only counterpart is that renoise as a shared config. file among all your instances and thus your MIDI port configs. will be set for the most recent configs. done. …so it’s painfull when you open renoise and have to config. the MIDI ports each time.

You could backup the config. file in “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Renoise” and replace it just before opening each instances of renoise… and even create a batch file that do all this process and even open both renoise instances…

About this: (Danoise suggested this batch file last year and it worked good for me. just set your path as needed)

//Batch file begin

REM Run “Config1.xml”

set config_dir=“C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0”

copy D:\AUDIO\Renoise\Songs\Wood-nov2016\Config.xml %config_dir%Config.xml /Y

“C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Renoise.exe”

//Batch file end

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/MIDI_Clock

Rewire, didnt try yet…

One instance is your master clock and others are slaves… You have to set virtual MIDI port so the master clock goes to the the slaved instances. I use Copperlan on win64…

I do something similar but use Bomes Midi Translator, it’s great for all kinds of internal routing.

The only counterpart is that renoise as a shared config. file among all your instances and thus your MIDI port configs. will be set for the most recent configs. done. So it painfull when you open renoise and have to config. the MIDI ports each time.

You could backup the config. file in “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Renoise” and replace it just before opening each instances of renoise… and even create a batch file that do all this process and even open both renoise instances…

About this: (Danoise suggested this batch file last year and it worked good for me. just set your path as needed)

//Batch file begin

REM Run “Config1.xml”

set config_dir="C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0"

copy D:\AUDIO\Renoise\Songs\Wood-nov2016\Config.xml %config_dir%Config.xml /Y

“C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Renoise.exe”

//Batch file end

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/MIDI_Clock

Rewire, didnt try yet…

I wrote a tool that might help here.

https://github.com/Neurogami/renoise-ng/tree/master/lua/com.neurogami.Configgy.xrnx

I haven’t tried to for this particular scenario.

I had been working on some songs on different computers, and the MIDI set was a bit different on each. So, each time I loaded a song ona different machine I had to manually tweak the settings.

This tool runs when a song is loaded and looks for a song-specific config file. If it finds it it loads it and executes the configured Lua code.

This allowed me to script the MIDI settings for a song based on the machine where it ran.

Whether this can help for syncing multiple instances of Renoise depends on what program MIDI settings can be altered via the Lua API.

I wrote a tool that might help here.

https://github.com/Neurogami/renoise-ng/tree/master/lua/com.neurogami.Configgy.xrnx

I haven’t tried to for this particular scenario.

I had been working on some songs on different computers, and the MIDI set was a bit different on each. So, each time I loaded a song ona different machine I had to manually tweak the settings.

This tool runs when a song is loaded and looks for a song-specific config file. If it finds it it loads it and executes the configured Lua code.

This allowed me to script the MIDI settings for a song based on the machine where it ran.

Whether this can help for syncing multiple instances of Renoise depends on what program MIDI settings can be altered via the Lua API.

WOW. (notice the caps.)

Thanks again Neurogami for sharing your tools!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try these out and see which works best for me.