Synth Discussion / Questions / Help (buying advice, synthesis, etc)

Feel free to discuss synths here, new and old, plugins, hardware, anything synth related.

If you want advice on buying your 1st synth or your 100th, you can ask that here too.

Problems, issues, bugs, general help questions on synths or synthesis, all welcome :slight_smile:

I want this: http://www.uvi.net/de/software/falcon.html

Maybe I should start a kickstarter campaign?

I want this: http://www.uvi.net/de/software/falcon.html
Maybe I should start a kickstarter campaign?

Ah yeah i saw that, very impressive, didn’t see the pricetag till you linked, hopefully a sale next year haha!

i definitely go for d16´s lush101 , dmitri sches´ tantra (not exactly a synth ^^). then again no money left for d.sches´ diversion end of this year.

next will be definitely u-he bazille (i already have beatzille).

I missed the madrona labs sale ( kaivo ) due to no money) left,

i had a look at rolands system-100 plug-out, sound is really great. wish i had the pennies for the hardware :D.

xils-labs polyKB would be nice, but no way i will mess around with a dongle.

both are on an amazing digital level of sound

u-he hive has a nice concept too and its less of a cpu-bomb, but due to it more of a versatile allrounder digital synth.

i think i got a passion for modular synths. and it looks like i am more into soundsculpting, but not sure about that.

i go for the more fat, dry, bassy, dark and snappy sounds (check out moogulator ond soundcloud to know what i mean^^)

so any tips and hints on that subject matters is appreciated.

i already hoarded a bazillion of free synths and demos to check things out and i have to thin out my vst folder to get more concentrated on the “main” ones which will be

lush101 and bazille.

otherwise it will end in a “4bar loop hero-hoarding plugins” existence waiting for the next synths to be THE big thing changing life and music. ;D

Hm, I neither really like D16 stuff, nor Dimitri Sches stuff nor Roland stuff - all those vendors’ plugins are extremely CPU killers for no reason (lack of optimization :P).

u-he hive has a nice concept too and its less of a cpu-bomb, but due to it more of a versatile allrounder digital synth.

I really like Hive, and Bazille, too (but don’t fully understand it yet - bought the tutorials for it by Groove3). I generally like u-he’s stuff, because it’s always good quality, well-maintained, available even for Linux, and they never do sales after release (it’s a plus because you don’t feel so screwed when you buy something for €150 and a couple months later it’s discounted at €50).

I’m a huge fan of Urs Heckmann’s synths (U-He) as well. I own Zebra2, ZebraHZ, Zebralette (ships with Zebra2), and TripleCheese, an excellent comb-filter synth. All his synths, commercial and free have top notch sound, excellent stability, powerful and are very, very configurable. The Zebras can eat up some CPU but a decent system handles them pretty well. I’ve got my eye set on the Uhbik series of post-effects and eventually, when I finish building my new studio, Diva. With only these synths in my rack, I don’t think I’ll need many more.

If I sound like a fanboy, well, I’m deeply impressed with these vsts and the way Urs does business. I would recommend U-He to anyone looking for quality goods. He’s also active at KVR. He and his developers are responsive to the community and that’s a plus with me too.

Most of my work is still sample based, but then, you can guess where I create my samples. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

U-he indeed makes great synths, bazille is especially fun, i recently bought madrona labs Aalto which is great too, can do some weird sounds in that :slight_smile: i’m looking to get a modular setup eventually, i love being able to physically control synths, and there’s some brilliant eurorack modules out there atm.

Try Future audio workshops Circle2 plugin, sometimes people don’t know about that. Nice interface, modulation

I really like Hive, and Bazille, too (but don’t fully understand it yet - bought the tutorials for it by Groove3). I generally like u-he’s stuff, because it’s always good quality, well-maintained, available even for Linux, and they never do sales after release (it’s a plus because you don’t feel so screwed when you buy something for €150 and a couple months later it’s discounted at €50).

I love this too, when they release a new product it’ll be discounted then set at a price. Does my head in when you have to wait for an inevitable sale for things!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/minilogue/

Nice move from Korg in my opinion. That oled oscilloscope too!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/minilogue/

Nice move from Korg in my opinion. That oled oscilloscope too!

Yep, that one is for sure very fexy - nothing that comes close at this price point…

^ Indeed. Very interested in this. Not really in a position to buy a synth at the moment but is on the wish list.

Would like to try out the minilogue, will await it’s arrival.

Tried a few synths out today, on a round of window shopping/gear testing at a few music stores.

Really liked the Nord lead and Moog Sub 37

^ Indeed. Very interested in this. Not really in a position to buy a synth at the moment but is on the wish list.

Would like to try out the minilogue, will await it’s arrival.

Tried a few synths out today, on a round of window shopping/gear testing at a few music stores.

Really liked the Nord lead and Moog Sub 37

Indeed, always more synths than money :stuck_out_tongue: ugh, which nord lead was it, 4 or a1? the sub 37 looks great, lots of knobs, buttons, always good!

i generally wait for sales, cause i just dont have the money to buy stuff just for testing purposes or “because”. u just have to be patient and also dont forget, theres is a ton of really good free synths out there which gives plenty of material to bridge the time, especially for new starters like me, between the sales purchases.

i recently added sylenth1 to my set. very good sounding vst synth and due to the really HUGE amount of very good presets from all sorts of users, a very versatile one.

for bazille: theres a guy on youtube reengineeng patches from bazille and explaining it step for step.

Indeed, always more synths than money :stuck_out_tongue: ugh, which nord lead was it, 4 or a1? the sub 37 looks great, lots of knobs, buttons, always good!

It was the 4. I really liked it. Both it and the moog sounded real nice. I haven’t really played around with synths much and that was good.They had a decent range that i could compare and to me, the va synths and the moog/nord had a big difference in sound. So much so, that i would rather wait and save than go for the cheaper option, no matter how long it took. I’ll just stick with my vsti’s till i can afford one. :wink: