.Syx Storage For Each Instrument

A midi instrument that could hold a .syx portion, with a little color indication that the midi instrument holds the sysex data (which obviously would be the midi dump of the selected synth patch). Then, three options - clear for removing the syx portion, record for recording it (this should ask midi IN device), and finally ‘send’ to send it back to the instruments midi-out params.

The only thing that makes this one difficult is that there’s not midi input selection for a single midi instrument. So this should be asked when recording…

Just an idea that crossed my mind, I hope it isn’t mentioned in the forum already.

Is this really such a bad idea?
I know lots of people are using VST’s instead of hardware, but for those who still have synths, it’d make a real difference…

Who’s using hardware anyways?

I am, I’m making all or most of my sounds on a DSI Evolver and the bloody thing does not send midi CC, only sysex, I wish Renoise could deal with sysex. I know there is a workaround here but I would prefer to do it inside Renoise.

+1 I want this feature, see my post:

PLEASE ADD SYSEX SUPPORT!

Not very promissing that there is still no SysEx support, after 7 years! I hoped for this feature way back in 2003.
I’ve seen this workaround with the Bome’s Midi Translater topic but this is not very elegant.

Not to become too nostalgic, but even the good old Octamed (Amiga) had it:

• A simple hex editor to write/load/save SySex messages. A song holds a list of SysEx messages. Each message was assigned a number (or ‘index’ for that matter)
  • From the pattern editor, the message could be triggered from the effects-column by calling its number/index.

Not very fancy but it allowed for changing sounds, turning effects on/off on synths, modules and other MIDI devices like Alpha Juno, CM-32P etc.

Is it that hard, or isn’t there enough animo for it?
How many of us do use Renoise to sequence their outboard gear and hardware synths?
Is it possible to develop plug-ins for Renoise?
Or does that mean writing a complete VST plugin with its own MIDI implementation?