TAP-FRET: VST plug-in idea

Hi Renoisers!

I would like to write and develop my own VST plug-in (work name is Tap-fret). The idea is to enchance Renoise fratures from music composing to learn-how-to-play music using guitar. :guitar:

Imagine you’ve composed and arranged some chords, basslines, riffs and then you want to learn how to play it on the guitar. The easiest way id to translate notes directly to the guitar fretboard positions.
Imagine you can compose weird bassline and give ten song to your bassman to let him learn the notes during listening to the song!
The same to translate chords you arranged using your ears.

I’ve got a good algorhythm for that, I had been developed it on my C64 ages ago and it recognizes human hand possibilities ;)

I was trying to use FT2 before - just convert the XM song to MIDI file and use Tab Pro or other guitar program the name I don’t remember to see where are the notes on guitar fretboard, but it was not a good idea.

I hope I’ve explained the purpose clearly, now my questions are:

1. What languages could I use to write VST plugin?
  2. How to grab notes from track where my plugin is on? I need only visual output to the screen, I need C-4, D#5 notes as an input. I suppose there is a formal specification concerning writing VST plugins. Where could I obtain it?
  3. What do you think about this idea? ;)

You’ve got a screenshot from C64 here:

PS I am on the way to register Renoise :>

1. C++
  2. You need VST SDK - get it at: http://ygrabit.steinberg.de/users/ygrabit/…html/index.html
  3. Dunno, I’m no guitar player so my oppinion doesn’t matter.

P.S. We would reply even without that comment about registering :)

I think it’s a good idea, maybe i’ll learn to play the guitar that way! ;)

Loolarge