That Effect Thing... What's It Called?

buffer ovverride is totally played at this point.

it has a “sound” to it that’s super easy to pick out once you’ve heard it a few times.

I would heartily suggest learning how to program breakbeats by hand!!!

As I said before (indirectly), I would obviously much prefer to program my breaks by hand (I don’t feel I need to ‘learn’ after 15 years of tracking experience). Reniose doen’t offer the loop start / end commands or automation of it, and the retrig command (even with 01xx) doesn’t offer the accuracy needed unless you change the tempo to alter the frequency of the ticks. As for the DFX bufferoverride’s ‘sound’, yes it’s easy to spot, but beleive it or not, it almost wholly depends on the type of sound you’re putting through it as well. Regardless, it still acheives the effect needed, that’s all I want to do.

You’re all about to be out-dated.
:ph34r:

Edit: P.S. no leaking this image. I’ve gotta put some extra stuff into the plugin before it gets released (including an expiry date, such is the way with beta).

Where’s the image?! I’m like your number one fan all up in this place waiting for your plugins to submerge from vapor. MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. HURRY. Haha.

It’s there, sorry.
Yeah, it looks very much like vapour at the moment. I’ve got a working version (had it for a while), but anyway, it does much the same thing as heisenbox2, which I only discovered after I made it :(.
Still, later this week…

Of course it does. :) There’s no denying this, and nothing can replace hardcore drum programming in Renoise as the pinnacle of beats.
But consider this: what if you want to play back your rhythm sections and manipulate them in interesting ways… live?

Hey, no problem, I still remain unconvinced with b.o, it doesn’t seem to offer the accuracy in ‘frequency’ of notes I expected (close, but not quite). I listened to minimoki’s stuff and indeed, the control he has over his samples are similar to what i’m after. Perhaps this track my the renouned Mu-ziq, will ensure the description of what I mean, and want to acheive.

btw… any chance of hearing the venetian snares track?

I assume you mean the drills in that track?

sounds like a combination of a comb filter and a really fast retrigger.

I don’t hear anything in it that couldn’t be done with enough time and practice in our renoise.

That Mu-ziq track sounds like it has a lot of time-stretched retrigger on the snares and some of the kicks. If renoise could combine something like a 09xx effect with each hit in a retrigger 0exx effect, then it would be easy. As it stands, I think very fast tempos would be the only way to do it with renoise alone if you want a semi-timestretched effect as well. Oooh, the possibilities!

Nice track by the way.

eer, you can combine up to 4 effects on a single track. ;)

l control l shift right arrow on the effects column

Yeah, but can you apply an individual offset to each transient in a retrigger?
Say I use 0ef1 on a snare as follows:

C-401.. ..0ef1  
--- .. ..0ef1  
--- .. ..0ef1  
--- .. ..0ef1  

The snare will be retriggered 5 times each line.
If i put a 09xx on every line in the second column like this:

C-401.. ..0ef1 0900  
--- .. ..0ef1 0910  
--- .. ..0ef1 0920  
--- .. ..0ef1 0930  

Then the same offset on each line will be applied to all retriggered hits of the snare in that line.
What I’m proposing is that each hit should have an individual offset, or perhaps each line should have a range of offsets to move between, say a range of 0900 to 0920 on a 0ef1 effect would have start offsets 0900, 0905, 0910, 0915, 0920 for each respective hit in the retriggered snare.

Maybe I missed something and it’s possible after all, if so then sorry guys for wasting this thread space.

Damn straight. And why not?
Just because it makes it easier doesn’t make it bad, in fact, most good new software is good because it makes things easier, not more hardcore. And I think you missed the point of the joke. Just used by itself won’t be very fulfilling and will sound pretty lame (comparitively speaking). However, now that it’s possible to make such edits live and easily, it doesn’t allow slackness so much as allowing performances to incorporate other elements. And more of them.

The wheel was invented to make things easier. No longer did our ancestors have to lug their food around on their backs or horseback, limiting their loads as such. This will be a move forward, and if you don’t keep up, you’ll be left behind.

However, I do kind of agree with you on the destroy fx plugins to the extent that I do not use them myself because their sound is too distinct and their parameters are difficult to control live. But they’re fun, and a starting point for further exploration.

The plugin isn’t intended as a replacement to hand written rhythms. When I release it, and when you play it (not just hear about it), only then can you form an opinion.
Who knows, you might even end up my biggest fan :P

Heheheheh manic laughter

Hear here Laurence!
B.O is definitely off my list anyway, even though I wasn’t relying to do my edits on them. I prefer to stick to 3 tpl when writing, so I know my BPM (unless it’s multiples of 3), besides, I don’t think retriggers are the answer here, just Hi-res editing, a retrig frequency control, or detailed loop control.

Arpeggiators are probably another fine example. If people are being lazy, why do a lot of successful artists use them, and not put in each note individually? Back in the day with Tchaicovsky, Mozart etc, they wrote each note for each instrument by hand, and then they had to get people to play them, correctly. I’d cosider it doubtful if anyone in this forum claimed to be compiling anything on this scale. (Apart from the Devs - metaphorically speaking)

I’m not lazy, just trying to find a way to do this damn thing, and make good use of the tools available to me.

PS, get paid tomorrow, now i’ll actually own a copy of 1.5! :yeah:

laurencedavies: i was wondering if you knew about the automatic breakbeat cutting algorithm libraries ( BBCut by Nick Collins) for the advanced audio synthesis programs like supercolider, max/msp, Csound…
you can take these algorithms and manipulate them to be used by virtually any breakbeat (sample or io buffer), there are also specially made procedures for doing styles such as squarepusher and afx (warp). the idea behind it is that by using these libraries you put yourself into a higher level of composition.
from using these high level audio synthesis applications you are able to manipulate sound at the lowest levels such as making a very certain sound of a kick drum all the way up to the higher levels making your music make itself infintely never repeating even once, and if also used right also gain a much clearer understanding of what is actually going on when you are doing these things.

I wasn’t aware of them, but thanks, time for me to do some investigating. I don’t own max/msp, but have csound (wish it was vst on my mac) and supercollider.
Yeah, the complex beat patterns from the warp guys have always intrigued me, though now I guess it’s snares who has the worlds attention right now (and mine), but anyway i’ve always wanted good reason to get into csound, now I don’t have a reason not to :)

As far as composition goes, I’m sure there can be no end to how complex/mind opening beat patterns (and to that matter, melodies) can get. I’ll get back to you on the BBCut libraries, they look like a fresh way of approaching music.

For the record, I’m really focused on live performance and how we interact with programmed rhythms, which can be distilled into adding new levels of what basically amounts to mixing. As far as I can tell, there are no widely available applications that give the user the ability to adequately rearrange beats properly (as in, not randomly, but with fine precision control) in a live situation.

you might want to also look at this:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html
especially since you have a mac!

This guy is hardcore. I’m not a perl hacker myself, but it’s satisfying to know that coding live music can be done. Have you attempted this yourself?

nice!