The Bitwig thread

Yep.

1 Like

Well I’ll wait for a final 5.0 or maybe 5.1. The longer you wait, the better :sweat_smile:

Verily, 'twould be a dream come true :thinking:

Verily lol. Been watching Monty Python or something? Really made me chuckle.

2 Likes

Lol no, just a Saturday night shitpost :poop:

Though I did grow up on Monty Python

2 Likes

I have the same problem :joy:

1 Like

@lilith yeah, I was going to piss and moan on KVR (saw you there, btw), but then I remembered that forum gets emotionally involved in their responses and then arguments start. Here, when I ask questions or make statements, usually they’re met with a consensus. We’re all in agreement about the advancement of a great tracker-sequencer!

Also, like Bitwig, I feel no need to involve any plugins within the structure. Both are wonderful as they are. The stock effects and user-Tools are so great.

1 Like

Bitwig is very much complete. The only thing I miss is a goniometer. But I need to upgrade my PC. Not yet sure what to buy. Maybe a NUC mini PC with a Ryzen CPU?

1 Like

Ryzen is great for Multicore, but audio doesnt tend to benefit from high multicore capabilities instead needing high single core performance. Its difficult to spread audio threads over more than one core and leads to drop outs. Ryzen tends to lag behind Intel in single thread performance. Mini PCs with mobile intel chips are a better shout, any processor with an H suffix rather than a U as the U processors are the thin and light processors, rather than the more performant H processors - if you can get one with a good cooling solution then the processors can stay at higher clocks for longer.

1 Like

I think there is still a lot stuff missing, midi comping, vst undo, always-record, keyboard driven editing and sequencing, etc. Just 4 points randomly came to my mind.

You mean in the pure data vs grid thread and that SunVox has “modular aspects” ?

Ah, shoot, I don’t know :slight_smile: I saw you one one of the forums about some software that we both have :smiley:

1 Like

So did they fix the performance problems you have? I see no technical reason why it should be even slower than 4.4…?

Yes it will be fixed. It was because of Repro that didn’t had any preset loaded.

1 Like

Did you see/felt latest Ableton? The gui is so faaast, even faster than before. It’s literally 60fps at 5K upscaled and even when then again upscaled in the options to 80% or so. No lags, live scrolling almost perfect. Wow, this is how a GUI should feel, so nice. You have to try it. Am on M1pro Macbook. Ableton really did an impressive job in optimize the graphics code. Bitwig is like a stutter party in comparison.

I’m on Linux

That’s interesting. I also use Bitwig on a Linux machine. On Windows, I never had any UI related stutters and glitches.

On Linux on the other hand, I did experience UI related glitches while using a specific audio driver, one that I was looking forward to use for various reasons. It was so bad that I just didn’t feel like using the app at all. I recently did some tweaking of my audio system and switched to another audio driver and now I can use Bitwig without having to cry in pain.

I’m glad to hear that the latest version of Live is more snappy. It’s been a long time coming, like, fucking finally! I’ve read that update is buggy overall though.

Sure, Bitwig is usable on a better machine. “Stutter-party” is meant relatively :wink: Though check out Bitwig on a real 4k or better 5k-6k monitor. You won’t notice stuttering on an oldschool full-hd screen. Don’t think that Bitwig gui is so different in speed on Windows vs. Mac, it’s all semi-accelerated JAVA gui code, in fact, a lot of elements seem to be rendered by the cpu. Using mainly cpu+ a bit gpu for rendering is not a good idea, IMHO. For a cpu, calculating a 4k screen (each frame) is an insane amount of work, for gpu it is like 2% usage. At least the “framebuffer” or composing of the elements seem to be done now by GPU in Bitwig. The problem is the choice JAVA: You can also see how common programming IDEs written in JAVA totally suck in GUI performance, on every system.

So do this check in Bitwig: Switch to a 4k resolution (maybe use your tv). Load a project, open or add some automation lanes in the sequencer (with automation in it). Scroll left/right and zoom, and you will get like 10fps or even lower, no matter how potent your gpu is (since the bottleneck in Bitwig still is the CPU for gui rendering).

I know about Bitwig’s “questionable” choice of using Java for their UI. That could be a culprit, but I am not sure it is that big - I’m guessing though. You do make a good point though, IntelliJ can be laggy even when it is faster than something like Eclipse.

My specific issues, I have identify as being related to a specific Linux audio driver (Pipewire if you know what that is). Using this driver, when I open the popup browser, scroll in the browser, open things like the Grid’s or EQ-5’s extended views, among other things, while audio is playing, the whole thing sounds like a bad version of an Autechre song - just horrible. When I use another audio driver, the one I have currently settled on, all those bad glitches are completely gone. For me this is regardless resolution.

Even when written in C++, some DAWs can make things stutter. It happens to me in OpenMPT for example if my buffer is too small and there is a lot of rendering (even though it seems simple enough). The more you have on your screen the more time it takes and you have to configure your minimal buffer size accordingly.

For example, I am on Linux, with Pipewire (probably the best choice). The default buffer size in Pipewire is flexible, with a minimum of 128 samples I think (2.9 milliseconds). If you get stuttering or cracks, you can configure your Pipewire with a larger minimum buffer size, or a larger maximum buffer size.

If Bitwig uses JavaFX for rendering its GUI, if it’s accelerated (whatever can be rendered by the GPU), it’s a win and there is not much one would gain doing it in C, Rust or C++ I think. However, one has to be certain the Java runtime actually uses hardware acceleration. (and it can depend on the system it’s installed on, etc.)