The 'i' In Idm

I disagree too. pop = popular and not per general “bad” or “marketed”. There is alot of great pop-stuff, some because they push it into peoples brain and some because it’s just so great that alot of people like it.

you can actually sell music ? crap, now I know what I have done wrong all those years …

I totally agree. I have no problem with the name intelligent dance music.

Does it sound a bit pretentious? At an initial glance it may. Especially when given little thought to the forerunners of this genre.

Is Tom Jenkinson still considered “IDM” ? Have any of you read his interviews? I am not necessarily saying there is a parallel in regards to say a composer and their intellect and the genre itself, but in the actual construction/composition of their work.

How can anyone listen to Richard D. James and his music and it not evoke the term Intelligent?

For god’s sake venetian snares! We are not talking about some haphazard noises that are strung together that the average 50 cent fan might find laughable or comfusing, but this amazingly well thought our and articulated intelligent composition deep within this seemingly chaotic music…

Gone are the shackles of the same formulaic mundane patterns and typical sequence of music. Listen to 99% hip hop music or drum n bass…

I think those songs that are worthy of this title are unique in their own rights. They don’t follow some silly rules. They are unconventional while still sounding aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe what I am trying to explain has more to do with creativity than intelligence, but that’s my story and I am sticking to it. I think the two go hand in hand in the case of good “IDM” music…

Genres-names are important to define music atleast abit. the sticker “college rock” on some piece of music for example tells me “ran as fast as you can in the opposite direction”, no matter how raving the reviews are.

And there are a lot of strange and not-fitting genrenames.
Drum&Bass ? Everyone dub-head I know hates this term because it definately belongs much more to dub. R&B is another example, modern R&B has as much to do with Blues as a tomato with the cigarette I am smoking right now. NuJazz ? Go away please. NuRave ? Same crap.

But, someone coined those terms (and I think it was never one of the artists themselves) and they stick and that’s it.

BTW: I think I will coin the term “Uber Intelligent Jazz Ambient” (UIJA) for my stuff from now on.

someone pointed it out above,
rdj himself makes fun of those call certain electronic music IDM.
think its a joke. this all depends on taste.
intelligent - is cocky and claims superiority. that aspect of it feels dirty and immature in my book…
do you think “IDM” is the only music that puts a lot of thought into how songs are composed? there are plenty of 3 note basslines that have more genius than the generic ‘idm’ song.

I make “My cranium is sizable in comparison to yours and my sausage is quite a bit larger too” music

I like jazz

the weirdest thing about the ‘intelligent’ tag is that the reason i liked squarepusher and vsnares in the first place was that the music was f****ing stupid - it made me laugh and spazz around liek a fool.

as a general rule - the less beats the more clever ie metal = stupid, opera = clever

but lets not be judgemental - if it sounds good it most likely is

jazz is obviously exempt from any and all rules, except free jazz which is a mutant and should be stamped on

could I sell that ?

http://www.loozabeats.de/temp/jh.mp3

no

but i’d like to hear it piped into supermarkets/airports/puplic transport/lifts you know the places- on a permenant loop

but it even got sidechaining in it !

How go you denn off?

i’ll not hear anything bad said about T2’s heartbroken - i just did a mashup remix of that for a live show and it went down a storm - it’s a tuen

Well thanks to wikipedia entry for “Intellegent Dance Music”, Renoise is associated with this debated genre name…

/snip/
Sound production in Intelligent dance music

Venetian Snares, for example, uses Renoise, a powerful tracking software, while Proem uses Fruityloops in his studio setup.[6] /snip/

clip taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_dance_music

hmm… I think I may have actually changed that article from saying “Med Sound Studio” to “Renoise” :P

Just repeat this thread for any of these current name-culture sillies: dubstep; breakcore; minimal techno; neu folk; new improv, electro-acoustic; mashup; etc - blah blah blah, same old dialogue going on over and over again. It’s really quite boring.

Get on with the music. Less worry over the I in IDM and more songs please.

Yeah, I’m worried about the core in breakcore…

See, I’m pretty sure the core was supposed to signify intensity… but seeing as how all the “hardcore” genres are nothing but hardcore, it kinda defeats the purpose of putting the core on the end. Perhaps “Chaotibreak” would have been more fitting? :P

Eat too much cinnamon? :lol:

The I in Cinnamon…