The Interview.

this thread is awesome! i’ve browsed through a couple of the responses. I’m gonna answer mine first, and then I will read some of the others more thoroughly.

- What is your Renoise-name? What is your real name? Any past names?

“i/o” or “dj i/o”. honestly I only add the “dj” part because just “io” isn’t long enough to be a username anywhere.
past names: plikt

- How long have you been using Renoise?

since March, 2005. I discovered it apparently a few days after 1.5 came out. good timing!

- How long have you been making music?

since 1997

- Have you used any other music software/platforms? If so, which ones? Which one have you been most inspired to work with?

Impulse Tracker. Migrated to fruity loops around 2003 due to the inconvenience of having a DOS machine for IT. I hated fruity loops and I didn’t complete very many songs in it. I wish I had discovered Renoise earlier.

- What sort of music do you end up making? Has this music changed over time?

I try to make something different every time. I have explored many genres of electronic music. The only consistent element is that I always try to include strong elements of melody and harmony.

- What is your favorite part of Renoise? Is there any feature that is integral to ‘your sound’?

The fact that it is a tracker but it also supports VSTi’s and DSP’s.

- What is your favorite pattern effect code? (If you don’t know what this is go and learn them now! )

01xx and 02xx

- On a scale from 1 to 10 what would be your Renoise geek-factor? Provide an example.

Maybe a 3. I’m not really that advanced of a user on a technical level.

- If development of Renoise continues well into the future, what would be your ‘dream’ requested feature? Be imaginative.

Piano Roll. that is the one thing I actually liked about fruity loops.

- Any other Renoise artists that really impress you?

the khin, BotB, sonus, sonicade, mick rippon, kizzume, rob williams jnr, aged, harmony steel, dilvie, i could go on, but that would be excessive …

- Who or what are your musical inspirations? Who or what do you ‘keep coming back to’?

my classic top 4: goldie, orbital, natalie merchant, tori amos
stuff that’s got my attention in the past 5 years: chicane, atb, twarres, lene marlin

- Are there any cover-songs you want to do?

the “warbot” theme from silverball plus 2
the jigid - “organic climax” (old s3m file)
iron & wine - “upwards over the mountain”
bad religion - “sowing the seeds of utopia”

- How serious are you about making music? Does Renoise consume your every thought, or do you do this occasionally just to have some fun?

pretty serious. i’d probably be dead if it wasn’t for music.

- Do you have a website, or a place where we can hear your work? If yes, please boast about it.

http://djio.ctgmusic.com/
my little corner of ctg music. here you can download some of my songs that i’m more confident about.

- Do you have any fans? If so, do you know why they are fans?

a couple of my friends. probably because they are my friends :) they listen to works in progress and give invaluable feedback

- Do you play any musical instruments? If so, which is your favorite?

i pretend to play piano. i’ve been meaning to get down and dirty and learn how to read music and play better but i haven’t yet

- How much musical theory knowledge do you have? Do you feel that it’s applicable to your composition?

only basic knowledge.

- What are your views on song arrangement or composition? Do you just compose for yourself? Do you care what other people think?

I feel really passionately about this. I have a goal that I would like to attain with my music: My goal is to find some kind of balance between “easily accessible” and “complex/profound” in terms of song structure and chord progression. What I mean by this is that I don’t want to be like some kind of power-pop band that uses 3 chords, but I also don’t want to be some kind of crazy/abstract idm/jazz shit that is completely unlistenable. Out of all the artists I’ve ever heard, Tori Amos strikes the best balance between these two worlds, I think. Her songs are very complex, but still very listenable.

Mostly I compose for myself… but if somebody else enjoys it, that is great! I definitely care what people think. I love to hear if they like a song… and I also like to know if they don’t like a song – why they don’t like it, what they don’t like about it… any suggestions on improvements I could make, etc.

- How much is enough repetition? How much is enough repetition?

this is entirely dependent on genre. if you’re writing house music, bring on the “boom boom boom”. if you’re writing jazz, not so much repetition then.

- What sort of gear can we find in “your studio”? Any bits of gear you’d like to rave about?

nothing special. it’s mostly software based. the only hardware i have worthy of bragging about is my Sennheiser HD-590 headphones.

- Have you got any plug-ins you’d like to rave about? Are there certain plugs you keep coming back to?

renoise internal dsp’s :)

- Is your studio adequate? What gear are you needing to buy?

i need to get a real soundcard. that would be the main thing i want. these days, everything is so much software based that i don’t think you really need much hardware anymore.

- Outside of your musical skill, how good is your engineering? Do your ears or gear deceive you? Do you value getting outside ‘sonic’ help?

i’m working on my mixing skills, but i can use as much help as people are willing to offer :)

- Additionally, do you master your songs yourself or do you get someone else to do them?

i run them through a brickwall limiter. i’ll start sending them out for mastering once i actually have some songs that I feel would be worthy to send to labels for demos. i haven’t yet reached this point.

- Have you ever performed live? If yes, how did you do it? What would you think would be ideal to reproduce your music live?

i’ve DJ’ed a couple of college parties, and played piano in a band a couple times. i don’t have any aspirations for playing my electronic music live, though.

- Do you ever seek to make money with your music? Do you make money now?

maybe? eventually. i’m not really sure how i feel about this yet

- Are you involved with any labels? Netlabels?

no

- What is better for your future: being on a contract or being independent?

not really sure

- Have you ever worked collaboratively? Do you like working collaboratively? Will you do it in the future?

a couple of times. i do like it. indeed i will. actually right now i am working on 2 collaborative songs for sdcompo round 13

- Do you have an ‘albatross song’? (A song that people really like that you don’t and they won’t leave you alone about it)

why would somebody write a song they didn’t like? i know what you mean, though. my most downloaded song on ctg is one i did in fruity loops and the production quality could be a lot better.

- Do you like your music? Any songs your are proud of? (come on, do tell!)

of course i like my music. the songs i’m most proud of are “lament expire dub”, “corner atmospheres”, and “phantasme 1 - bonzai rain”

- What do you think is lacking in your music? Do you feel you need to be working on any one particular area?

i want to start focusing on more complex song structures. also on better transitions, and more complex chord progressions (that are still accessible, as mentioned above). mixing is something that could always be improved. eventually i wanna get down and dirty and spend trying to create “unique sounds” ( i.e. instruments that have never been heard before), but i’m not as concerned about that right now. i will mess with that when i become more confident with my songwriting.

- Along the same lines, what do you think holds you back from achieving what you want?

a lot of times, i will hold myself back by snubbing out ideas before they even have a chance to be developed. i.e. if i have an idea, i will just say “no, it’s not gonna work” and not even explore it. i’ve gotten a lot better about this lately, though.
another thing that holds me back is motivation. i’m not like some people who can just sit down at the tracker every single day. i have to kind of force myself to track, so it only comes in short bursts… maybe 10 hours a month i will sit down with renoise.

- What sort of ‘zone’ do you like to be in before you can make music on Renoise? Has this got something to do with environment, people, drugs, food, temperature, cosmic energy, etc?

a lot of times i play the “blood” table from the old DOS pinball game “silverball plus 2”. it’s so mesmerising and fun to play, that it somehow gets me in the right concentration for tracking. i’ve tried other tables, and other pinball games, but nothing works like “blood” does :)

- Have you thought about why you make music? Do you have answer?

the main thing would be the joy of creating something, and then the resulting sense of accomplishment when listening to something that i created. i probably enjoy listening to my music more than i do writing it.
i also love compos. sdcompo has made a very positive impact on my life ( http://www.sdcompo.com)) – i love the feeling of competition, but also the sense of community, learning new tracking techniques from looking at other peoples’ RNS files, and having a bunch of new music to listen to every month. it rocks!

- Do you think you would still be making music if Renoise didn’t exist? What about if computers didn’t exist?

yeah, i’d probably use skale or psycle or something.
if computers didn’t exist, hell yeah. i’d probably be in the blue man group or something like that :)

- Has accessible MIDI and digital technology changed music for the better or worse?

both:
positive: it has definitely increased the ability for amateur musicians to create music with higher production values.
negative: MTV music generator and things like this. (sony Acid included) :( people with no creativity or musical skill are creating very generic “songs” and releasing them to the public. previously, when people wanted to create music, they would need to learn an instrument. now they can just double click a couple times and have a “song”.

- What do you think about the current direction of the music industry? What contributions are the mp3, the blog, piracy, and myspace making on the direction of popular music culture? Could you care less?

mp3 = definitely positive. not as many people would want to download each others’ music if it was as big as wave files.
blog = couldn’t care less. most of them are a self indulgent, decadent form of self expression. why is one person’s ranting and raving supposed to be interesting to thousands of other people?
piracy = it is definitely changing the music industry. it’s also unavoidable. the industry is having to revitalize itself and it doesn’t really know how
myspace = a cesspool of childish insanity. the layout is so horrendous, it hurts my eyes even thinking about it!

- Is there such thing as “bad music”? If so, please provide examples.

music that is completely corporate. bands that are put together by record execs to create an “image” and market it to the public. the “members” of the band have no say in the songwriting process, production, or any aspect of the music itself… except to “sing” it… except the vocal track you hear is a composite made from 50 vocal takes and run through pitch-correcting software… yet these “musicians” get all the credit. you hear no mention of the songwriter, producer, background musicians, etc. girl/boy bands, american idol winners, etc… all are a part of this scheme.

oh, and also reggaeton is bad music… i have no idea why they all think using that exact same beat would be a good idea …

- Can music really change the world? Has your music ever ‘made a change’ in someone?

we are the world, we are the children!!! no, but seriously
music has always changed the world. the world would really suck without it.

probably one of the most important things of my life is the feeling when a song gives me chills… so, the few times that somebody has told me that one of my songs gave them chills – that is HUGE to me… even if it made their lives better just for a few minutes, that is momentous! it makes it all worth it.

- What is music going to sound like in 2014? What’s music going to sound like in 2500?

2014 - probably pretty similar to how it does right now. there might be a couple of new genres.
2500 - it will sound like nothing because the world is going to end in 2378. noo… i have no idea, that is way too far in advance to predict.

- Is Trance Gay?

no way, i love trance.

- Core or K0r3?

neither, they are both gay.

- Kaneel?

not really sure what the hell you are talking about.

- Why?

everyone determines their own purpose in life

EDIT:

ALEXSTRAIN! if you are reading this, i haven’t forgotten about our snow: informer remix plans! i sent you a PM about it about 6 months ago. i changed the lyrics a little bit (“you know say me dj i/o me i’ll go blame”) and i’m 100% prepared to really actually sing you a vocal track for it :)

nevermind

Jonas:

How did you Maxtor Hitachi fail your analog class?! Sampling a failing hard drive wasn’t analog enough for them?

nevermind

• What is your Renoise-name? What is your real name? Any past names?
    Dr. Drips real name Paul.

• How long have you been using Renoise?
    From the very beginning.

• How long have you been making music?
    I always mixed with tapes but real composing began when I got my first Amiga, should be 14 a 15 years ago.

• Have you used any other music software/platforms? If so, which ones? Which one have you been most inspired to work with?
    Cubase, Cooledit, protools
    trackers:protracker, octaMED, digibooster pro, and Renoise, no doubt tracker based software is best for me.

• What sort of music do you end up making? Has this music changed over time?
    I tryed a lot of styles in the beginning, later it became Hardcore, then IDM-a-like.
    nowdays I go from Rock to ambient to techno. whatever my mind is set on that day.

• What is your favorite part of Renoise? Is there any feature that is integral to ‘your sound’?
    the total control of placements of sound, mostly handy with drum/percussion programming.

• What is your favorite pattern effect code? (If you don’t know what this is go and learn them now! :P)
    I love al, but 0900 and 0b00 pop into my mind.

• On a scale from 1 to 10 what would be your Renoise geek-factor? Provide an example.
    7, because it’s lucky, and I feel very close with the renoise community but not a geek poster like some other people.

• If development of Renoise continues well into the future, what would be your ‘dream’ requested feature?
    multitrack recording and better editing/listening of long samples.

• Any other Renoise artists that really impress you?
    BotB

• Who or what are your musical inspirations? Who or what do you ‘keep coming back to’?
    too many

• Are there any cover-songs you want to do?
    maybe someday

• How serious are you about making music? Does Renoise consume your every thought, or do you do this occasionally just to have some fun?
    very serious but then again, it’s also to have fun.

• Do you have a website, or a place where we can hear your work? If yes, please boast about it.
    www.no-repair.com

• Do you have any fans? If so, do you know why they are fans?
    they have signed for the newsletter.

• Do you play any musical instruments? If so, which is your favorite?
    synths.

• How much musical theory knowledge do you have? Do you feel that it’s applicable to your composition?
    years of listening, practising, recording and a producers course.

• What are your views on song arrangement or composition? Do you just compose for yourself? Do you care what other people think?
    If I like the tune, the people that I want to let it hear will like it also.

• How much is enough repetition?
    just don’t let the craft slip, for us it’s on a weekly base.

• What sort of gear can we find in “your studio”? Any bits of gear you’d like to rave about?
    some synths, a computer and monitors. I like them all.

• Have you got any plug-ins you’d like to rave about? Are there certain plugs you keep coming back to?
    the Renoise Distortion is very neat. Guitar rig is neat, classic phaser is neat.

• Is your studio adequate? What gear are you needing to buy?
    none at the moment.

• Outside of your musical skill, how good is your engineering? Do your ears or gear deceive you? Do you value getting outside ‘sonic’ help?
    sometimes, but I prefer to mix alone.

• Additionally, do you master your songs yourself or do you get someone else to do them?
    myself

• Have you ever performed live? If yes, how did you do it? What would you think would be ideal to reproduce your music live?
    yes, renoise together with some synths, guitar rig VST, and a master keyboard.

• Do you ever seek to make money with your music? Do you make money now?
    should be nice, but it’s not the main perspective.

• Are you involved with any labels? Netlabels?
    no.

• What is better for your future: being on a contract or being independent?
    depends on the contract.

• Have you ever worked collaboratively? Do you like working collaboratively? Will you do it in the future?
    yes, was fun but I prefer to work alone.

• Do you have an ‘albatross song’? (A song that people really like that you don’t and they won’t leave you alone about it)
    no.

• Do you like your music? Any songs your are proud of? (come on, do tell!)
    yes I have a few I’m very proud of, soon they will be on our website.

• What do you think is lacking in your music? Do you feel you need to be working on any one particular area?
    not really, it’s nice to have idea’s left for upcoming songs.

• Along the same lines, what do you think holds you back from achieving what you want?
    mostly my dayjob.

• What sort of ‘zone’ do you like to be in before you can make music on Renoise? Has this got something to do with environment, people, drugs, food, temperature, cosmic energy, etc?
    I just close my studio door and go to work and cut me off from the outside world.

• Have you thought about why you make music? Do you have answer?
    yes, great fun.

• Do you think you would still be making music if Renoise didn’t exist? What about if computers didn’t exist?
    I would. no mather what the tools are.

• Has accessible MIDI and digital technology changed music for the better or worse?
    both, it’s better because of the new oppurtunities, but also makes it to easy to avoid problems,
    makes people lazy.

• What do you think about the current direction of the music industry? What contributions are the mp3, the blog, piracy, and myspace making on the direction of popular music culture? Could you care less?
    I find making music to much fun to be concerned about the industry.
    music is for listening. and also if you look at things as myspace you can see the industrie is re-inventing itself anyway. only a bit slowly because companies are to scared to loose money.

• Is there such thing as “bad music”? If so, please provide examples.
    No.

• Can music really change the world? Has your music ever ‘made a change’ in someone?
    I suppose it can. personally I don’t know If my music ever did.

• What is music going to sound like in 2014? What’s music going to sound like in 2500?
    we have to listen for ourself.

• Is Trance Gay?
    music is for those who like it.

• Core or K0r3?
    Core

• Kaneel?
    stok?

• Why?
    bye

Achenar. Duncan Hemingway. I used to release stuff under the name of Hydrus, but on discovering the name was already in use by a US rock band, I changed it.

Since early 2003.

I used to make stuff up on the piano at a young age, though I never really ‘composed’ until 1990.

- Have you used any other music software/platforms? If so, which ones? Which one have you been most inspired to work with?

In 1990 I got an Amiga500 and on one of the first magazines I bought was a coverdisk with Protracker and some songs. Once I saw how it all worked, I was hooked and began creating my own stuff. I also had to use Cubase at University, but I’m not a fan of it.

There’s no one sound or style, it ranges from slow, ambient and melodic to fast, chaotic and heavy. I guess most people would call it ‘dark’, but I don’t see it that simply. The music has changed with the advances in computers and trackers, becoming less and less restricting over time, up to now where I can do anything I want. The main difference though, would be the inclusion of vocals.

- What is your favorite part of Renoise? Is there any feature that is integral to ‘your sound’?

There’s no one thing, it’s really the all-in-one package using the method of working that I’ve been used to over the years.

- What is your favorite pattern effect code? (If you don’t know what this is go and learn them now! )

Probably E9x, I use it a lot in percussion.

- On a scale from 1 to 10 what would be your Renoise geek-factor? Provide an example.

1. It’s a tool, a means to an end.

- If development of Renoise continues well into the future, what would be your ‘dream’ requested feature? Be imaginative.

Honestly, since the introduction of the in-program sampler, there’s nothing else I need.

I’ve enjoyed stuff by Beatslaughter, Alexstrain, Basement Wigger, Benefit Of The Boomerang, Plugexpert, Kizzume and Kcirr3d.

- Who or what are your musical inspirations? Who or what do you ‘keep coming back to’?

Music that isn’t content to just stick to what’s expected of it and usually combines a variety of different elements. These band/artists have been a direct inspiration over the years: (pre-With Teeth) NIN, Ulver, Dødheimsgard, Lapsus Linguae, Meshuggah, (pre-FLAvour) Front Line Assembly, 2nd Gen, Devin Townsend, Astonishing Sod Ape, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Alamaailman Vasarat, Primus, Sigur Ros and Cannibal Ox.

Yes, I’d love an excuse to do Front Line Assembly - Plasticity and CrowPath - The Will To Burn. I think the Predator theme tune would be awesome to do as well.

- How serious are you about making music? Does Renoise consume your every thought, or do you do this occasionally just to have some fun?

Very. Renoise doesn’t consume my every thought and I get sick of it every now and again, but music is absolutely the main thing in my life.

- Do you have a website, or a place where we can hear your work? If yes, please boast about it.

Earthen Records

Probably, most of the attention so far has been on the three NIN remixes I’ve done.

I’m alright at the piano/keyboard and I also do vocals. The vocals are the favourite, since I’ve only just started and I’ve got a lot to learn and improve upon. I’ve also used guitars/saxophones/percussion etc. over the years, but only make the sounds I needed, I can’t play them properly in any sense.

- How much musical theory knowledge do you have? Do you feel that it’s applicable to your composition?

I’m not sure, I had to learn some aspects of it as part of my high school music classes and I’ve picked up little bits here and there just from casual learning. I don’t feel it’s applicable to my music, because I view it as merely a tool to describe how things work, not as a concrete guide for composition. I suppose it can be useful as a springboard for ideas, though.

- What are your views on song arrangement or composition? Do you just compose for yourself? Do you care what other people think?

It’s entirely dependant on the music and how it is appropriate to achieve what the composer wants. I compose entirely for myself and although what people think about the music will never have any effect on how it sounds, I do hope some people enjoy it.

Depends, sometimes repetition is the best way to achieve a groove or build tension. But personally, heavy repetition with no change whatsoever is the number one way to make me hit the skip button.

- What sort of gear can we find in “your studio”? Any bits of gear you’d like to rave about?

A MIDI keyboard and a microphone. My only other piece of equipment is my favourite; a pair of binaural ear microphones, which record the full 360 degree sound environment of the person wearing them. When you listen back to the recording on headphones, it sound like you’re right there in the recorder’s shoes.

- Have you got any plug-ins you’d like to rave about? Are there certain plugs you keep coming back to?

I don’t use that many outside of the standard Renoise ones, but Dominion is excellent for huge, crushing distortion and PSP Vintage Warmer is great for multi-band compression.

I’d like to get a proper ampilifier and monitors, so I can do a more accurate mastering job.

- Outside of your musical skill, how good is your engineering? Do your ears or gear deceive you? Do you value getting outside ‘sonic’ help?

It’s what I’ve spent the most time on over the past 4 years, so I know enough to get by, but I know I still have a lot learn.

- Additionally, do you master your songs yourself or do you get someone else to do them?

Yes, I do all the mastering myself and it’s the area I’m concentrating on the most on improving.

- Have you ever performed live? If yes, how did you do it? What would you think would be ideal to reproduce your music live?

Not with anything I’ve composed. I’ve done musical performances in school concerts, but that’s it. My music is mostly impossible to accurately perform live, but doing approximations of the songs within a limited band setup does intrigue me and I hope to do it one day. That’s probably years away, though.

Yes, I hope to eventually be able to make a living from music, but I know that’s pretty unrealistic. I haven’t released anything yet, so I’m not currently making money.

Yes, I set up my own label and spent a serious amount of time looking into the legal, business and technical side of this. I’ve also taught myself about website design, online transactions, webstore software and how to get this all working together to provide a service to customers via the internet. The initial plan is to sell CDs direct to the customer, though I hope to expand this in the future to include retail distribution, digital downloads and expand the range of products to Vinyl, DVDs, clothing etc. The debut release should be next month.

Independent. I think I’m about as DIY as you can get. :lol:

- Have you ever worked collaboratively? Do you like working collaboratively? Will you do it in the future?

Yes, I recently contributed vocals and lyrics to Beatslaughter’s track, Tag, We’re It and will doing so again for another track. I’ve also asked Beatslaughter to collaborate on a split EP to be released later this year.

- Do you have an ‘albatross song’? (A song that people really like that you don’t and they won’t leave you alone about it)

No, if I didn’t like a song I created, I wouldn’t release it. My stuff tends not to be catchy in that regard anyway.

I wouldn’t be doing this if I didn’t, and I wouldn’t release anything I wasn’t proud of.

- What do you think is lacking in your music? Do you feel you need to be working on any one particular area?

Better vocals. I’ve a lot to learn and improve upon.

- Along the same lines, what do you think holds you back from achieving what you want?

Time to record the vocals. They take a long time to do and I can’t practice often. I’m often held back on completing or progressing a song’s structure because the vocals aren’t done.

- What sort of ‘zone’ do you like to be in before you can make music on Renoise? Has this got something to do with environment, people, drugs, food, temperature, cosmic energy, etc?

Alone with no interruptions. That’s it.

Because I have to. I guess I want to replicate the feeling that listening to good music gives you, in something that I’ve created.

- Do you think you would still be making music if Renoise didn’t exist? What about if computers didn’t exist?

Hard to say. I did no music whatsoever for a few years because technology, specifically computers, wasn’t up the task of what I had in mind. But it was horrible, I can’t imagine composing any other way.

- Has accessible MIDI and digital technology changed music for the better or worse?

An excellent question. It’s certainly increased the amount of, and this is no way meant as an insult, ‘demo’ level material out there, but I think in the long-term this will be a good thing. The over-saturation of this type of stuff will make everyone aware of just how easy it is to create and so people’s expectations of music will become much, much higher. This should eventually lead to an appreciation for music with more substance to it.

- What do you think about the current direction of the music industry? What contributions are the mp3, the blog, piracy, and myspace making on the direction of popular music culture? Could you care less?

To answer the second part first, I think they’re all having a positive effect, increasing the public’s awareness of, and exposure to, a wider variety of music, where previously it was all channeled through very narrow, filtered mediums. To answer the first part, most parts of the industry seem to be carrying on as usual, but the lying and misleading of the public at the hands of the RIAA and the labels they represent has been disgusting.

On a personal basis? Of course, everyone’s tastes are different and everyone knows what they like; what’s good and bad to their ears. Categorically? No. As long as a piece of music entertains at least one person, it has value.

- Can music really change the world? Has your music ever ‘made a change’ in someone?

Probably, though only indirectly. People change the world and music has a big emotional effect on people. As for my music, not that I’m aware of.

- What is music going to sound like in 2014? What’s music going to sound like in 2500?

Music as a whole? That’s impossible to answer. I do know that humans respond to particular things, despite differing tastes. So if you’re expecting a radical shift in musical form, I think you’ll be disappointed.

- Is Trance Gay?

It’s not to my tastes.

- Why?

Because.

In 1990 I got an Amiga500 and on one of the first magazines I bought was a coverdisk with Protracker and some songs. Once I saw how it all worked, I was hooked and began creating my own stuff. I also had to use Cubase at University, but I’m not a fan of it."

haha, was this Amiga Format magazine by any chance? If so, I got the same one. It had Protracker on it and some shit animation tool which didnt really work. Protracker was the DADDY at the time. It felt amazing to be able to mess with stuff like this when I was so young. I figured it all out myself just by messing with the demo songs so I think that is why I get surprised when people cant understand renoise in 2 seconds flat. I must have implanted trackers in my brain at the perfect time! Haha.

haha yer ditto for me too !! :):slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure it was CU Amiga, though I’m not 100% since I bought copies of all the Amiga mags that month so I could play all the disks when the machine finally arrived. I’ve probably got them stashed away somewhere.

I reckon it was Amiga Format.

Did it have some other stuff on the cover disk with the aim to ‘create your own demo’

I think the title of the disk was ‘PD-DIY’

In fact it was defo that.

My memory is amazing!

Haha.

Had a slag in a swimming costume in the mag too. I remember that.

:)

HAHAHAHA½!!!

you lousy egosentrik wankers!!!

only interview that is acceptable is taktik´s interview

peace o0v advice!

//o0bert

the funny thing is he’s right and we love it :yeah:

Sort out the attitude mate. Its only a bit of fun.

- What is your Renoise-name?
Chotoro

-What is your real name?
Frej

-Any past names?
Carcall, which I’ve used at Assembly.

Since version 1.2x. That would be a few years… since 2004?

Since the early 90’s about. Actually I fiddled a bit with an Amstrad in about the late 80’s and thought about making a tracker for it. Never bothered in the end.

- Have you used any other music software/platforms?
Yes.

-If so, which ones?
Protracker v1-3.15, OctaMED, Music-X, FastTracker II, Acid Pro. I’ve sequenced quite a bit on my Ensoniq SQ1+ too.
Also, Sibelius and Noteworthy Composer, and Cakewalk (before SONAR).

-Which one have you been most inspired to work with?
Renoise, Acid and FastTracker. I cut my teeth on ProTracker and Music-X though.

- What sort of music do you end up making?
I like good melodies, and good chord progressions. I not very fond of overly harsh and psychedelic sounds.

-Has this music changed over time?
I guess so, I use more chords, better melodies and less repetitive trackerpatterns these days.

- What is your favorite part of Renoise?
The stability.

-Is there any feature that is integral to ‘your sound’?
Send channels, if I have to come up with something.

- What is your favorite pattern effect code?
Dxx.

6-8. I’ve used it a lot, but some features very little, if at all.

Some feature that would eliminate the restrictive borders between patterns. That is sorely needed in the tracker world IMHO.

I can’t remember any names, but there are. I’m very hard to impress though… unfortunately.

Kanno Yoko’s music. There’s no need for any other inspiration.
Except for Vangelis. And Frank Sinatra, Dreams Come True and Mr. Children. Queen too.

Not especially. I’m a bit wary of working too much on someone else’s completed music, especially if it’s something I really like. It might get stuck in my brain, creating a mental conflict between the two versions…

- How serious are you about making music?
I could be very serious. I’m not right now.

-Does Renoise consume your every thought, or do you do this occasionally just to have some fun?
Only when I start it up. Otherwise: not enough.

Not quite, but I’m making one. Uh, slowly. There’s some stuff at scene.org, if you search for my past handle.

No fans that I’ve noticed, but people do tend to vouch for my skills.

Violin and piano. Violin is better, I think.

- How much musical theory knowledge do you have?
Basic courses.

Do you feel that it’s applicable to your composition?
Yes, and no. Maybe…
I think I have a somewhat deeper view of music because of it, than I otherwise would have. Theory doesn’t create a good composer, but it can make one better.

I don’t think I can put into words my views on composing… I compose and think mostly for myself.
I do care what other people think, sometimes a lot, but I don’t especially ask either.

About 3,2-4,5 times. No more than 6,3.

Right now:
Athlon 2400 with twin 19" screens, Echo Audio MIA 24/96 card
Roland VM-3100 digital 12-channel mixer
JBL LSR25P studio monitors, M-Audio Studiophile SBX subwoofer
Audio-Technica ATH-AD7 headphones
AKG SolidTube tube mic
M-Audio 4x4 MIDI interface
Ensoniq SQ1+ keyboard
Roland M-64GS sound module
Patchbay with 16 pairs
Doepfer Pocket Control, handy midi controller

z3ta+ (VSTi) was amazing when I tried it. Also, Neat Image is my primary weapon. No wait, that’s Photoshop.

Pretty much, except a few more mics could be good. Anything else is just bonus and/or an improvement.

- Outside of your musical skill, how good is your engineering?
Adequate.

-Do your ears or gear deceive you?
Only when listening.

-Do you value getting outside ‘sonic’ help?
I just trudge along on my own most of the time.

I do it myself.

Nope. I might someday.

I’ve never received money for my music so far. Instead, I have free money raining down upon me from the heavens.

Nope.

Not sure yet.

- Have you ever worked collaboratively?
Nope.

-Do you like working collaboratively?
I might, depends entirely on the partner(s).

Will you do it in the future?
same

Yes, kind of. It’s a thing I made in the same style as another tune (to avoid copyright issues) in less than an hour. I do think it’s kinda funny though.

I tend to love my own songs, after having not listened to them for a long time. I’m proud of “Konrad Orbiter’s Upgrade”, though. It’s quite unlike anything I’ve ever done before, and it won first place in SDCompo 4.

Motivation to start working.

Lack of willpower.

[b]

• What sort of ‘zone’ do you like to be in before you can make music on Renoise? Has this got something to do with environment, people, drugs, food, temperature, cosmic energy, etc?[/b]
    A deadline looming closer, late night, no distractions.

Good music boggles my brain. That feeling is better than sex, and I also get to be creative.

Sure, I’d be using FastTracker. Or I’d be playing the violin and piano all day.

For the better for me. But though you can build big buildings with a crane, you can still get by with just a hammer. Tools are tools.

CDs are expensive. Downloading torrents is almost too easy. These two need to meet at some point. Eternal copyright is useless.

Not sure. But if there’s good, there must be bad, and sometimes my ears do bleed.

Yes, music can affect the world. But probably never intentionally.

I can’t wait to find out.

- Is Trance Gay?
No, but gay is trance.

What?

- Core or K0r3?
Soft.

- Kaneel?
Hm?

- Why?
Because summer is longer in spring.

transient. carl. carpet monkey, the weird one (super old bbs names)

A couple weeks. Tried the demo for a while tho.

19 years. Electronically 13 years.

1. Modedit Pro 2. Screamtracker 3 3. Impulse Tracker 4. Modplug Tracker 5. Bhajis Loops 6. Renoise

I love them all, except modedit pro, that kinda sucked.

Whatever the hell happens. I’ve always made whatever the hell happens.

It’s trackerness but with the modern features like AUTOMATION! horray!

- What is your favorite pattern effect code? (If you don’t know what this is go and learn them now! :P)

Qxx (impulse tracker) or 0EXX RETRIGGGGGGER! oh and i like sample offsets too. and tremor (but renoise doesn’t have that :( …)

10 … … … umm … i’m filling out this interview.

I would like to be able to mark every 4th bar a different color then the other 3. That way when i have really long patterns I don’t have to think about the divisions.
[b]

• Any other Renoise artists that really impress you?[/b]

Saine. (i’m pretty sure he uses renoise? right?)

The tracker scene really influenced me, there’s lots of artists, i don’t really want to think about listing them all.

Not particularly.

music is something I do to pass the time, and because if i don’t make music i go f’in crazy, if people like what i do, that’s cool too.

http://www.noisyvagabond.com

I think I have a couple. It’s hard to tell sometime when you never leave your studio.
[b]

• Do you play any musical instruments? If so, which is your favorite?[/b]

I play pretty much anything i can get my hands on. i love playing drums, but i don’t have a set :(
[b]

• How much musical theory knowledge do you have? Do you feel that it’s applicable to your composition?[/b]

None, I just started making music when i was little cause i heard songs in my head.
[b]

• What are your views on song arrangement or composition? Do you just compose for yourself? Do you care what other people think?[/b]

music is something I do to pass the time, and because if i don’t make music i go f’in crazy, if people like what i do, that’s cool too.

Schleudertrauma

Two computers, Korg M-1, Evolution U-Control 33, Fostex multitracker xr-5, Lowrey Genie Gl, Univox Compac 2, Yamaha pss-470, Gemini pmx-12a crossfader.

I’ve got hundreds of the things. Some are quite good.

I’d like to reaquire a midi drum pad … that’s fun. but other than that i’m quite happy.

I absolutely suck at mastering music.

I absolutely suck at mastering music. but i’m not going to pay someone to do it because i release free music.
[b]

• Have you ever performed live? If yes, how did you do it? What would you think would be ideal to reproduce your music live?[/b]

Yes. I played on laptop, computer, some gear, live midi input via keyboard etc. Live music is fun sometimes too yah.

When mp3.com was around I got a couple hundred thousand plays and they sent me a couple grand. sadly that’s the only money i’ve ever made off of music. other then a couple bucks here and there from shows.
[b]

• Are you involved with any labels? Netlabels?[/b]

Yes. (tbtmo/darla and apegenine) Yes. (lots of netlabels, LOTS!)

I like to be independent. Depends what the contract says.

Yes. Yes. Yes.
[b]

• Do you have an ‘albatross song’? (A song that people really like that you don’t and they won’t leave you alone about it)[/b]

No one likes my songs :(

Yes. Yes.
[b]

• What do you think is lacking in your music? Do you feel you need to be working on any one particular area?[/b]

Mastering. Taking time to actually make song good.

• Along the same lines, what do you think holds you back from achieving what you want?

Short attention span.

Whatever. If i’m bored I make the music.

music is something I do to pass the time, and because if i don’t make music i go f’in crazy.

Yes. Yes.

BETTER! but alot of trackers that have switched from trackers to modern systems, i don’t like their new stuff as much usually.

All music will be mp3 soon, and then whatever comes out after that. but i could care less.

Yes. You know bad music.

Probably not and certainly. Probably not and certainly.

2014 = no different. 2500 = silence.

- Is Trance Gay?

Probably not and certainly.

- Core or K0r3?

krad

- Kaneel?

I like his leopard print.

- Why?

Why not?

Does anyone else find reading the interviews without the questions in BOLD is a major eye masher?

I’d just like to thanks everyone who’s done the interview so far - your responses are amazing and enlightening! I think some of you may find that the process is a positive tack for self-clarity of purpose and trajectory. And I certainly welcome anyone who’d like to answer the questions who haven’t done so yet.

Perhaps down the track a larger project may happen where we’ll be able to ask some of you more incisive and specifically relevant questions.

still waiting for yours foo?

I hope nobody takes it as offensively, but I’m still in two minds about it. One side tells me I don’t need to do it, the other is still formulating useful public answers. Until I unify on that matter I’m afraid I’ll keep stalling.

Ok, I have to take this seriously, so give me some time.