The New Gui

I remember reading that, but it didn’t register.

Perfect!!

:wub:

I must admit I didn’t actually like the new look at first…

But I tested the sound quality between the new version and old and just couldn’t go back to 1.2(!) - Love that extra sharpness and definition!

I thought 1.2 sounded almost as good as Cubase SX, but I’ve got to say this seems to sound slightly better…

Anyway, after my first session using the new interface, I have VERY quickly grown to love it… In fact, I loaded up the old version just yesterday by accident, and it looked positively blocky and dark…

Although… I have had to adjust the brightness and colours on the new interface a fair bit… It looks a little drained and bright when I first loaded it… Like someone’s turned the contrast down and brightness up too much on the monitor… Still, with that fixed and fiddled with it looks perfect…

One thing I’m not into with the new GUI is the Spectral Annalyzer…

I think it needs a slower release rate setting - As it is now, every mix looks like random chaos on it - And I’m pretty sure the very top-end reading is peaking a little high.

(plus: below 100hz bass must be updateing too fast to be giving an accurate reading surely?)

I much prefered the old-style orange bargraph display - I would love to have this option back (appologies if it’s there and I’ve been too dumb to realize!) - The line graph display just ain’t so prittay!

Also, in general, I find this version is slightly more mouse/menu oriented… And ideally I’d like Renoise to stick with the more solid feeling keyboard opperation in general… I’m finding arrangeing patterns a little more fiddly and time consuming these days… And also some of the other editing options just seem to feel a little less solid and a little more fiddly.

I’m not 100% into the mouse being able to drag notes in the pattern editor, as I often try to select an area and end up shifting a note instead, which is starting to feel a little more like fiddling with Logic/SX… Whereas Renoise has always felt more like using a hardware sequencer… i.e. solid and involving.

Still think the new version is great - Would be just a little put off if the future updates headed it further in this direction.

value type-in fields are something that has been added to the new version that takes more advantage of the kb. one of the coolest developments imho. :guitar:

We haven’t removed shortcuts, so I don’t really get your point.
Renoise has better mousehandling, but hasn’t got any worse
keyboard handling. On the contrary, there are several new
shortcuts.

And “a little less solid” doesn’t really help us improve anything…

This isn’t a problem in 1.5a4, you need to press alt to drag notes.

Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll try to keep my critisism a little more “constructive”…

“A little less solid”:

The window on the top-right, with the samples, I’m finding it a little more fiddly having to use the right-clicks and menu’s, when the old Cut, Copy & Paste buttons were more “immediate”… (matter of personal taste I suppose)

The drag thing - I guess I should report this as an error, as quite frequently when I try to highlight an area, it drags an event instead…

Also, sometimes the keyboard shortcuts seem to mysteriously “switch” - So the left and right cursor change the pattern number in the narrow window on the left… And I have to fiddle a bit to get out of that… This could be me just not used to the new interface (most likely).

I find chaining pattern sequences (again in the narrow left hand column) a little more fiddly (i.e. less “solid”) - I seem to remember before it was just a case of left-click, pattern decriment, right-click, incriment… That was very quick and easy… Now it feels a little too fiddly… For me at least…

The new spectral annalyzer, it’s too chaotic to be of any use - Slower (selectable) release time and more graphics options would be nice… Although now I’m just being fussy!

In general, although I’ve not had time to get used to them yet, I am finding the new default keyboard shortcuts a little less intuitive… I feel this was maybe an area that didn’t need fixing… Although I’ve changed mine back to the original settings now anyway.

In an ideal world, I’d like to be able to get on with less mouse clicking and fiddling - Solid is when I can get by without ever having to right click…

Also, I’ve not had time to test this properly yet… But I seem to find a slight delay on looped sections/patterns that wasn’t there (or at least as noticable) in earlier versions… I’ll make sure this isn’t just me, and have a look at some (realtime recorded) looped beats/clicks in a wave editor later… Just my bat senses seem to tell me it’s not quite “perfect”.

Please don’t take my comments to heart - I could write novels of critisizm about Pro Tools, Logic, SX, etc… If only anyone would listen to them!

(oh, and if only it’d recognise MDA ePiano on my Win’98 machine! I wouldn’t need to use any other sequencers then…)

EDIT:

Actually, with regards the Spectral Annalyzer…

I (personally) would love something along the lines of Jeff Minters’ light synthesizer in that little window - Psychedelic colour swirls, kind of Amiga “demo” coders type stuff… That would be awesome… Things like that are massively overlooked by the “mainstream” sequencers…

Ultimately, as a musician, you want an artistic and creative environment to work in… Pro Tools and Logic are as clinical as an alien autopsy… To see dancing goats and star fields in that top window would be unreal(!). :w00t:

@J Swift

For copy/clone instruments you dont have to right click. Just hold ctrl and drag you instrument to a new location.

For patter-sequencer you have shortcuts for everything.
Just try them. :)

These are things that you dont use critical often. So I think context menues work just great. And they clean up alot of space in the interface for more important things. There cant be arrows for everthing.

cheers

The drag thing - I guess I should report this as an error, as quite
frequently when I try to highlight an area, it drags an event instead…

As I wrote in the previous post, 1.5a4 doesn’t have this problem.

Also, sometimes the keyboard shortcuts seem to mysteriously “switch”

This is a bug in the keyboard handling, reported elsewhere in the forum.

I find chaining pattern sequences (again in the narrow left hand column) a
little more fiddly (i.e. less “solid”) - I seem to remember before it was just a
case of left-click, pattern decriment, right-click, incriment… That was very
quick and easy… Now it feels a little too fiddly… For me at least…

You’re pointing at the only feature of the old sequencer that
is missing in the new. But I find it hard to understand that this
is a problem for you, when you claim that you don’t like to use
the mouse. Then use the keyboard shortcuts for patternsequence
handling! There’s no reason to use the mouse there at all if
you don’t like it:

Solid is when I can get by without ever having to right click…

And:

In general, although I’ve not had time to get used to them yet, I am finding >the new default keyboard shortcuts a little less intuitive…

Which ones? If you have better suggestions for some defaults, tell us.

Pysj: Oh cheers! I need to get used to that!

With regards the pattern chaining… I find that’s one of those occasions where you’re making decisions, arrangeing, etc… and the mouse isn’t a problem… It always felt quick, easy and direct anyway… When I’m sequencing and editing on the smaller scale, I obviously prefer the button bashing approach with minimal mouse use…

Just me anyway - Maybe I’ll get used to the new pattern chaining thing, but I did find it a little less fiddly before…

How about the light synthesizer idea?

Maybe even downloadable demo’s (& skins?) to fill that space, and a full-screen option…?

That’s the kind of touch that would really make it stand out for me… I’m kinda thinking crazy nostalgic Amiga demo coder type stuff…?

Personally, I don’t want to see Renoise waste too many cycles on visual cruft, but one of my ABSOLUTE favorite things about the FT2 ‘experience’ was its little organic display thing. A little bit of a ‘sign of life’ in the void of numbers.

The phrase “winamp visualization support” just popped into my head, but slamming my face into the desk, screaming “no no no” got it out of there.

From what I’ve seen of the new sequencer, I like it a LOT better. In 1.281 it felt very secondary and unimportant - but I guess that’s just an artifact from its ft2 roots.

I wish I could get like, an audio-disabled version of 1.5 just to play with the new gui, I won’t get paid till the 25th!

Keep up the good work :yeah:

Hehee, yeah I was thinking getting a little emulator in there to run actual Amiga/ST demo’s from yesteryear in there… Or Jeff Minters’ classic light synth… (just as an option)

I think it’s interesting, that for something that is really more “art” than a “craft”, all the sequencers stay 100% focussed on functionality.

Pro Tools, Logic, etc… look like software for testing cars or controling nuclear power stations…

Fruity Loops and Reason look like they should be running on a PS2, and have the number “2000” after their title…

And Renoise, Buzz, etc… look like you should be debugging machine code with them…

They’re all a little too Right-brained for your average musician surely?

With most artists, musicians, writers, etc… the setting and ambience is of paramount importance… With the brushes, canvas, paper, pens, etc… mere tools/mediums.

I imagine one day the concept of a virtual studio will involve wearing a VR headset… Having a “virtual” 128-track Neve desk… Virtual racks of outboard, etc… And possibly moon, beach, spaceship, castle, etc… settings for all of this!?!

Maybe it’s overlooked… But you could take the most talented/energetic producer/musician in the world… Stick him in a cold, dark cellar with a laptop for a few days and he’ll be making music that sounds like it’s written by someone who’s been living in a cold, dark cellar for a few days…

I actually think I disagree entirely with your vision of software’s affect on creativity.

In a cold dark room with nothing but a copy of Impulse Tracker - one hundred percent of my influence is going to be forced from my brain. However, if I have a program themed like a space-ship and my tracking Software looks like LCARS, I’m probably going to be writing the next Startrek theme.

I did all my best work in Impulse Tracker, and that’s about as cold-and-clinical as it gets.

I don’t draw pokemon on my drum heads and my guitar doesn’t run pac-man :lol:

I think about all the rooms and locations I’ve written music in, and I always did best in the ones with the fewest distractions.

Then again, maybe I’m just a lot more right brain than left brain, and to me maybe music is more craft than art. Music, like anything else artistic, can be pretty easily described mathematically - so I don’t think the seperation is even, really relevant.

And let’s not forget that you can run Renoise in a window - and multitask that amiga emulator :D

I’d love to play Turrican II again. Is it possible to on PC?

http://www.pekarosoft.de/content/t2002/t2002.html

turrican for win32

@Martinal

Hi,

in 1.5a4 moving and copying notes doesn’t display a preview of where the notes and effetcs are gonna end up. It could be cool to see that before letting the mouse button go because I often make mistakes (I’m a very nervous guy :)). Previewing preferably in a different note color would be useful too :)

Nino

Hmmz… The highlighted area containing the copied notes, drag with the mouse cursor, but you probably aim for the overwrite mode where you don’t want to erase existing notes and commands in the area where your copied part is gonna be pasted right?
I don’t know if this is easy.

I’d just like to see the content of what I’m dragging :)

[quote name=‘ceenda’]

So, if i understand this right: There finally is a function to copy your effects to another track?

i.e.: when i use a compressor on track 1, i can copy this and paste it into track 2 (so i dont have to remember the setting to fill into track 2)

Yes :D I know, i should use a send device for this kinda shit, but then it was the same problem but then only once :P

This function is in 1.281 too. Both copy single effects and whole effect chain.

its obvious: to many functions, not enough eyes and hands!

Thanks johan, another thing to try when i get home!

In 1.281 there is a list of the current effects of the track, where the effects can be copied, deleted etc. But since this has beenremoved in 1.5, I don’t think it’s possible to copy effects between tracks anymore (someone correct me if I’m wrong)…