The Tao Of Renoise

As an aside, I would recommend installing PureData on Linux by downloading the appropriate .deb file from here and installing by using “sudo dpkg -i FILENAME.deb” as opposed to installing through apt. For some reason that doesn’t work for me. You’ll also want to install jack. Instructions here and some additional configuration info here.

One possible interesting avenue of exploration of PureData with Renoise is looping, possibly live, using vd~ objects. Another idea is adding some algorithmic flourishes to drum beats. Renoise is already great at glitching and slicing so PureData is kinda stepping on its toes in this area. But PureData is great for synthesis (something Renoise isn’t quite as good at, yet). I like using the sigmund~ object for pitch detection (works great for guitar).

One thing, though, that I only barely mentioned before, is that if you want to trigger PureData from some sort of signal in Renoise’s tracker view, you’ll need to use sysex messages or some sort of MIDI message, since Renoise can’t observe the tracker view in real time and send OSC messages at particular times. Hopefully this will change in future versions. Obviously PureData can trigger Renoise at any time using MIDI or OSC without restriction. As for audio, you can happily route Renoise and PureData back and forth from each other using Jack, but there will be somewhere between 5-20ms of latency depending on your audio hardware, your Linux kernel, and other consideration (I’m able to get 5ms latency on my Macbook Pro running OS X).

I completely agree, for me Renoise has more similarities with being a musical instrument than just a DAW. Even the steeper learning curve is comparable with musical instruments where you have to invest time and effort into learning it and practice it. I think it is important to respect and retain this aspect even if it is just as a counterbalance to the quick fix, preset generation we currently live in!

Cheers