The WIP thread - work In progress

WIP v4 sounds great!

Nothing to upload, i recently upgraded my PC SSD to a PCIe4.0 ultra fast thingy and in the process of moving files to an external and back again, i have nuked my project folder entirely. Everything lost. Fuck.

Ouch that’s a hard one… why don’t you still have your older HDD/SDD?

I once lost all my Amiga tunes (hundreds of discs) when moving house, they box just went missing at storage facility… oopsie

Yes indeed. I’ll probably purchase this one. Why not? It’s not that expensive.

Thanks man. I think the “trick” was to drop some stuff and to improve the stereo field. And I think you were right about reducing some of the sustained stuff. Now back to the composition as soon as there is some time left…

My condolences. That’s why backups are stringently required. I’ve got all my stuff on 3 different hard drives. It was enough pain not having access to literally hundrets of Amiga MODs I did since I started making music.

enter SANJAYBF in promotional code for 10% extra tho ;D
I’ll probably get it aswell, just wish we could do it with doofers completely, it’s quite close

1 Like

Quite close it not close enough, but geeks do what geeks do, right? :wink:
Thanks, by applying the code it’s 52 €, that’s the same amount of money you need to pay for any Valhalla verb. I think it could be worth it. Why not? We’ll see what else we can do with it, just like Andrew Scheps was saying.

1 Like

Id done a series of upgrades to my PC - new CPU, more RAM and a basic graphics card as the new CPU didnt have integrated GPU. I had a single m.2 SSD and my mobo had two slots, so i backed stuff up, moved what used to be the primary m.2 to the second slower slot, installed the faster m.2 and wiped what used to be the primary drive to use purely for data storage. When retrieving the files off my SD card i put them into a folder on the drive for triage and then must have accidentally deleted the migrated project folder. I wiped the SD card to give to my daughter for her Nintendo Switch. A series of rookie errors all around i think.

Yeah that’s not great… If you just quick formatted the drive then there are tools that can recover the files.

Check Recycle Bin. Have had some success using free utility Recuva.

I did a clean W11 install and deleted all the partitions and then created a new drive out of it so its all gone. Cathartic in a way to be honest, but still annoying.

Another “Dub Techno” effort started today. Ive never written a lead element and holy shit, am i bad at it lol. I think the oreset is shit as well for it when it does come in, i started writing with just a sine wave in FM8 to concentrate on melody and rhythm, then did a little preset shopping and i dont think its helping.

Im also starting to think im just making the same track over and over, but i do like the dub chords on this one. Its so fucking derivative though, but something draws me to the style.

The mix is rougher than a badgers bum, so, composition advice only for now as i havent even looked at the mix past some ultra basic filtering.

5 Likes

That’s a nice one, brought me right back to a tropical beach bar :grin:

Not sure about the hihat rhythm at 0:50, it’s a tad repetitive, I mean it should be repetitive just not this much, maybe you could just add a new track with a shaker playing a little bit.

I think the rimshot/knock or whatever it is that begins at 0:34 should play a little less? instead you can add another similar sound if you want that reverb in the background all the time?

I’m horrible with genres but isn’t this just deep house? it’s certainly not techno right!?

Really like it, too, please finish. Too much bass in kick and bass, too. Maybe try to lower the bass amount and then find a new balance in the mix, like also tame the highs. Maybe the kick could be a bit shorter?

Here another early snip, again made as Bitwiggler:

No idea how to continue… :smile:

And another one, have to redo drums

2 Likes

Are you talking about the bright short synth that starts at 1:24? When I heard it for the first time I had to get used to it, but that happened quickly and I thiink it’s cool. Personally I just would reduce its brightness and avoid the uneven starting points of the melody beginning at 1:32.

You could also create Electro by using those chords. :slightly_smiling_face:

A swell pad playing a new melody would be nice.

Jup, but rather do the drums. :wink:
An Acid Bass would also fit in greatly.

2 Likes

How about that? Mix, Track in general? Kind of Acid Dub or Dub Acid.

3 Likes

Sounds great! I agree that the synth at 1:25 is a bit too bright or I even would remove it completely and keep the track more monotone. The dub chords can be louder.

Second one is great and I would continue with the drums (they do sound great btw.) after 1:45 instead of reducing the tempo again. It sounds like two tracks at the moment.

1 Like

v0.2 - trimmed some fat and reduced the overly repetitive nature of the hi-hats, blocks etc. New lead sound, new strings, new kick drum. Lots of work to do, but I’ve throw a lot of clay on the wheel, time to carve it into something with more of a form over the coming days/weeks - assuming I don’t lose patience/interest lol.

3 Likes

Everything is much better now, it’s in another league now, actually I thought it was another song

I like the static noise and how it’s introduced quite loud so you notice it but I’d try do following to it:

0:20 - 0:31 Gradually automate volume down -3dB as it’s probably beginning to feel too loud
0:31 - 0:33 Make a quick fade out to silence or something quite low, so you a little transition and think it’ll make the kick feel like it’s dropping a little harder
0:33 Set the volume of it to about -3dB less that what it is?

I look forward to hear more of this, I wanna make something like it some day…

The mix is pretty good. The hat is a little bit too loud, but the cymbal is perfect. Personally I would prefer an increased loudness of the pads and the chords as well. The track itself matches my taste. I love chords, I like Acid and I always prefer simple music. Your song has got it all.

You haven’t mixed already, right? The click is pretty loud in comparison to the rest. The kick is also a little loud. I would reduce the loudness of both instead of increasing the loudness of everything else. The compostition is good, similar to the song by @lilith . It’s quite the same style.

1 Like