The WIP thread - work In progress

The mix is pretty good. The hat is a little bit too loud, but the cymbal is perfect. Personally I would prefer an increased loudness of the pads and the chords as well. The track itself matches my taste. I love chords, I like Acid and I always prefer simple music. Your song has got it all.

You haven’t mixed already, right? The click is pretty loud in comparison to the rest. The kick is also a little loud. I would reduce the loudness of both instead of increasing the loudness of everything else. The compostition is good, similar to the song by @lilith . It’s quite the same style.

1 Like

Everything lost, except your experience… so forget and start making new tracks :smiley:

1 Like

I started this one yesterday. Not yet sure how to continue and if I through out some elements again.
Kind of electro with some house influence maybe…

5 Likes

It has a nice vibe. The icy high notes early on are lovely. Rhythmically it has forward momentum but I feel it lacks energy. I don’t think it has to be much. But maybe something like a fast distorted percussion layer blended in softly there could give it the edge that I think it’s currently lacking. But there is definitely stuff there worth pursuing.

1 Like

I wouldn’t throw out some elements, instead I would throw in some elements. :wink:
What I miss the most is a bass. This track lacks bass, a bassy kick isn’t enough. A synth bass with a cool bass line would be great. I would also spice up the drums a little by bringing some more stuff like a clap, maybe some 808 percussions (toms, sticks, clicks), a delayed zap/laser and of course some pads and/or some mellow chords. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

3 Likes

The Kick is way too loud in there car. I’ ll try to add a bass at around 100Hz one coctave above the kick. I also have to check the harmonies. I think currently it’s switching between Aminor and Cminor and it sounds wrong sometimes.

Yup. That comes later :blush:

Yup, the kick is too loud, but I wouldn’t say “way too loud”. No need to go up one octave in terms of the bass that’s being added, just put a sidechain on the kick track and sidechain the bass. The harmonies are good imho, I don’t hear any issues. It does only sound a little “wrong” for a few seconds at the end of the song. But I gotta say that I’ve listened to it only through PC speakers at work. Currently I’ve still got no time to listen to music properly…

@fumesek
We meet AGAIN? Reboot? You’re a non musician? Very suspicious. I guess I know who you are. :alien:

2 Likes

Here is a work in progress of mine. Any feedback is welcome.

4 Likes

Adding a quick and constant bassline might give it some more groove.

(How do I respond so it shows the original message here?)

1 Like

Hbh615 -remix For Necro Noise V13L: That’s cool. The intro is kind of innocent sounding but it gets quite big and mature sounding. That part is really cool and could probably be extended. Especially if you lean into a cool rhythm. The little trance-melody that starts the next section feels a bit generic. Not that it’s bad, but to me not particularly exciting either. I think you could try messing with that part a bit more.

The layering at the end is way cool! That could probably also be drawn out a bit more as it feels a bit rushed to me. Extend it and build some more tension before releasing it. Think that could make it epic. It has the sound for it.

You mean the “quote” functionality? Select the text you want to quote and it should pop up. Alternatively use the " from the tools above where you type.

Or if you want to reply to a particular message, find in it in the thread and hit reply in that one.

I like the intro most. The “drums” that come in at 0:48 sound a bit tame (mabye they need more low end). The part after 1:19 sounds too full (for my taste) and too compressed for me, but the bass that comes in sometimes is pretty cool. I don’t like the risers (that always reminds me on dancefloor tracks). I think if you reduce the density it could sound heavier in the end.

Sounds cool, long intro but fortunately it’s all good.
The synth coming in at 2:03 feels wrong somehow, I’d try something else.

I see what you’re after. Bring a melody, hit hard, bring back parts of the melody, hit hard, implement another melody, increase energy, slow down and end. What’s the desired song length? Personally I think if it’s intended to be around 4 minutes the intro is too long, but if it’s intended to be at least 5 minutes it’s all right. Most likely the mix isn’t finished, but you should consider to push low ends and punch at the “hit hard parts”. These parts lack low ends and the kick is very flat without any punch, so currently these parts don’t hit hard. I also think that the hat is pretty prominent in comparison to the other drum parts and needs to be turned down.

Made some progress (hopefully :rofl:)

How’s the mix (only listened through phones)?

I have so much fun with Renoise at the moment like when I found the program back in 2016 (or so…).

3 Likes

I like it! Maybe the snare could be tamed at lows, and the kick could be tamed at mids?

1 Like

Thanks, will try tomorrow!

Working on my submission to the TrackerCorps 303 compilation. It’s an augmented hardware jam. As in, I layered in a few samples and little things to flesh it out a bit more. But I’ve totally lost perspective. So help me out and tell me what you think of the tune and how it sounds.

2 Likes

There are good elements here. I feel the the drums and especially the kick might be a bit too loud & punchy for the ambientish style the rest of the track is going for. If you reign that in a little it I think it would sound a bit more cohesive.

If you’re open for some feedback on the composition still; I feel it starts to meander after a while. I feel it said what it had to say and just repeats itself. Frankly, it gets on my nerves after a while. Think it could use some more development. Be it in the sound design or an extra layer. Or a different direction. Don’t think it has to be much. But I do feel it needs something new to keep it fresh.

1 Like

I agree it’s too long. Maybe I just shorten it and bring in the ride earlier. I replaced the kick yesterday (808>909) but the 808 sounded better. When I mix too long on headphones this is what happens.

1 Like