Thinking of purchasing, have some questions.

Hello! So long story short, i am here because for a while now i have been thinking of learning to produce music from home with my computer and have some questions regarding that.

I am currently interested in learning to produce Trance music but will probably experiment around as well. How good is Renoise when it comes to groovy basslines and uplifting melodies?

For a while now i have considered purchasing Reason 7 because of it’s closed in nature and how much it provides right out of the box (also because i am a big fan of Daniel Kandi xD), however i am also interested in Renoise because when i tried the demo i really liked the interface and the whole visual matrix of your track(s) as they are playing. What are your opinions on Renoise and how it compares and differs to that of Reason and or other DAWS (I know Renoise is a tracker)? Also how friendly is Renoise to just using a mouse and keyboard with 1 monitor in the long run (with maybe a midi keyboard some time down the road)? Same question for Reason if anyone here has used it before.

I do not think i will ever use more than 1 piece of software once i have settled on one, mostly because once i start learning on one i want to really go all the way with it. In this regard what are my limitations and advantages if i choose to use Renoise for Trance and experimenting. Also if anyone here has used Reason same question (i know Reason is closed and does not allow vsts but has its own expanding library of extentions and refills)

And lastly if i choose Renoise over reason, what are some good plugins and vsts (preferably free ones) that i should look into for Trance? I am in no way ready to describe what my sound will be but i can say that Trance with Groovy Basslines and many layers of sound are a tempting prospect right now.

Overall i like to thank anyone that took time to read this and hope to hear back soon!

Renoise is only as good as what your mind puts into it. You want basslines and melodies, well that has to come from your head.

In terms of the Renoise vs Reason comparison, I have Reason 6.5, and while it does give you a lot of things out of the box, you’re going to end up paying so much more for all the other little shit you want to get your hands on. Renoise is good because you can use whatever vsts and freeware you want with it without having to shell out cash if you want to try a different compressor or synth. Reason is also a little awkward with only one monitor, not as much as Cubase, but still.

If you want a cool little starter vst, try Trancedrive. I had fun with it when I used it a while ago.

Thank you and let me clarify that i was just wondering when all else is said and done, how well can Renoise do Trance with said characteristics (High Quality, Layered, uplifting, groovy basslines, effects, vocal chops/vocals, etc.) after you put in the effort and time?

I was also wondering if there were any other free plugins and vsts you would recommend for Renoise in general? And i didn’t really explore the more visual side of Renoise in the demo but how is that? I like visuals and think it can help me quite a bit in learning to make my own sounds.

There is beutiful series about free vst / vsti. I am lazy to mention every one here. But if you need trance synth like Sylenth1 then T-force alpha plus is one of your biggest friends or Tyrell from U-he (both are free).
Or buy one Computer music magazine, zou will get a lot of beautiful synths and plugins for complete mix (great filters, dynamics processors even mastering limiter or reverb)…
And Renoise is 100x more user friendly then reason if you dont have midi controller device, truest me :-]
What i loved (and love still) about Reason is working in box (native dsps are better than in renoise) and patching.

IMO, Renoise and Reason work well together, especially if you rewire Reason into Renoise.

If you want to save a little bit of money on Renoise, you can look for a used license on KVR. However, you can a lot of money on Reason buying it on KVR.

Personally, I use both Renoise and Reason, as well as a bunch of other programs, because well, that’s the way this hobby goes… :lol:

My recommendation is that with either Renoise or Reason, you should also own at least one “conventional” DAW, like Reaper or Sonar or Cubase or Logic, etc.

The rationale for this bis that the conventional DAW will fill in some of the gaps left by Renoise (ie, audio tracks) and Reason (ie, vst support).

So yeah, work with the demo versions or Renoise and Reason, and see how they work for you.

As for plug-in… check out Music Radar for their lists of freebies, or buy a digital copy of Computer Music and you’ll get their freebies CD as a download… worth way more than the $5 or so for the magazine. One budget set that I recommend is NI Komplete Elements, which you can get for around $30 on KVR, or around $50 from the web.

Also, if you’re diligent, you can get NI Raktor for around $100-150 on KVR, and it’s well worth the cost. If you want, download the free player version, and you can run the demos of a large number of the built-in synths.

I think it’s fair to say that there are so many great free and paid VSTs out there that once you try them, you won’t want to use a closed system that can’t use them… so yeah, Reason… you have to decide on Reason for what it has built-in, as that you can’t get outside of Reason. So either you’ll avoid Reason, or go all Reason all the time, or end up with multiple programs.

We have a whole thread about free VSTs as a sticky in the tips and tricks section.

Thank you for the replies guys! And i saw the sticky for free vsts, i will look at it.

As for using multiple programs, it is just a preference of mine to not do such a thing. For me it comes down to if i want to spend 400 dollars on a “all in one” system and work inside of that for many years before even touching any extensions or refills, or if i think that Renoise with some free vsts/plugins can provide me with mostly the same experience (minus audio), then i will go that route and only spend 80 dollars to start out even though i personally do not like the whole “buy a software and then buy or look around for tons of addons until my brain goes dead” xD. For example i never really got into the elder scrolls games on the pc even though i loved to played them on my console at one point in time, mostly because of how time consuming it was to find a set of mods that i liked, there were so many ><.

Overall i am willing to deal with third party plugins/vsts if the software ends up being worth that hassle.

Update : So i have decided to go for Reason mostly because i want to work within a piece of software for a long time without the need to go look for plugins/vsts. I will probably get a midi controller but will start learning without. Also i have a big TV with HDMI output which i will start using at some point so i will have plenty of space on one screen for Reason’s various windows :).

I would just liked to thank you for your opinions on both and will definately come back here to check on Renoise in the future if i feel like taking it for a spin.

There is a rather comprehensive thread on free quality VSTs and instruments over on the Reaper forum.

Well, you already opted for Reason. It’s a good DAW, though personally I’m rather undecided about the benefits of getting locked into a DAW’s “ecosystem”. It’s a bit like with iOS vs. Android: You usually end up paying more for less, and you sacrifice freedom (of choice) for superficial convenience.

But Elsekiss’ point is an important one: It’s not the software that creates the music, it is you. It is very tempting, especially as an aspiring artist, to think that software and hardware can really compensate for lack of experience, or provide a shortcut to success, which then leads to that cycle of spending money and frustration.

Good luck on your musical journey. :) If you have no background in music, grab a copy of “Music Theory for Computer Musicians”. It’ll really benefit you, fantastic book.

Thank you, and you too ^_^/>/>. As for why i opted towards Reason and it’s closed system? I think it is just more convenient for me personally, having everything i need in one box and now having the option of expanding that box over time from one source, that being Propellerhead’s Website. Of course there will be downsides to not having access to the whole world of vsts/plugins (though over time rack extensions/refills will be plenty), but i think any limitations that come from this can and will improve my creativity and this is what i think is important for me. Learning to be creative more and more with one piece of software and working around limitations, while also forcing me to really learn how to come up with the sounds/music in my own head and really push the software i use to it’s limits. And of course lesson 1 in music creation, " You are the musician, not the software/instrument". Well that and Daniel Kandi ^_^/>/>. He was using an outdated version of Reason (Version 3) for the longest time and producing magical trance tunes, and that to me is inspiration.

On the whole spending more for less, i plan to use what comes with Reason in full before i ever consider upgrading or even expanding my rack with extensions
and refills. So in the long run i plan to save money and up my creativity/flexibility as far as it can go.

At the end of the day it does not matter which software one uses, it is all up to the individual. In my case, A closed system with room to expand wins out for me. :)/>