Timbaland Stole From Mod

One thing that is kind of interesting with this is if Tempest doesn’t get any compensation / reckognition.
There is simply no way (at least moraly) for the industry to get people to take the industry even a tiny bit seriously.
I mean if they have artists that steal other people’s stuff how are they going to convince people to buy their stuff.
If they have issues today convincing people, this will be one of the flags against them.

I think this thing is starting to gain some momentum. Albeit only a small notice it’s still mentioned in the section: Rolling Stone - Daily News: In Brief

This story is also popping up in more blogs and forums all over the web so I don’t think it will blow over that easily.

Tempest has also set up a page of his own: here

I’ve been reading about this all day and it really sickens me how so many people justify Timbalands actions. And I really think that it is Timbaland himself that is responsible. It has been pointed out that it could be some of his so called ghost producers that committed the actual theft, or the record company that didn’t care to clear the sample… but come on… He used the sample once in 2005 for the ring tone and based a whole song on it in 2006. If it was his ghost producers in both these cases it would make timbaland a complete hack… and I hardly think the record company was involved in the ring tone production. He is royally screwed if you ask me, and rightfully so.

Since Timbaland put his name on it I would say it’s his responsability to check.
I would think 5 min of google time would produce the answer since it was actually a winner of Asembly 2000.

Found another thread: remix64

Funny side of it is, the more often they rip demo-songs, the harder it becomes for any successors to do the same. Just because any scene-alien sees those videos on youtube and everywhere and gets informed about “scene music”. So the next time someone copies a mod, more people will know about the original.
But actually, you can turn the same idea around and say: The more often they steal scene music, the more legal it becomes. Just because it’s something natural then after someone has done the big first step already.

I tend to belive in the second thought though if I just take look at the 80’s rips. Yes, they are probably licensed and all but none really cares if the new version is talent or rip. It’s just functional. You remember, you like it, you buy it.

I just realized this now… He actually used the original .mod for the ring tone in 2005, then used the c64 remake for the Furtado song in 2006. Hahahahahahaha What the f**** is wrong with him? I used to listen to Timbalands bassline on Aalyiah’s track “Try again” over and over again… I used to actually respect him as a hiphop/rnb producer that somewhat stood out from the rest.

Sorry for spamming this thread… I just can’t comprehend the nerve of this guy… For gods sake, I usually hesitate to even use the factory presets of VSTs…

Gilli: Most of those dance tracks based on 80:s hits aren’t ripped, as in ‘sampled’. There’s a company called replayheaven that offers ‘remakes’ of tracks on offer - they create a very similar version of it from scratch so it can be used to make dance remixes. As they don’t use samples from the original, they avoid the problem of clearance. I don’t know if there are other legal issues doing it that way but it’s quite common though.

Bloody hell, some of those examples are pretty impressive (especially this one ).

What a weird job that would be! :blink:
Ugly business to be in though if you think about it too much.

This is really shocking. Never knew this company but well…it was just a matter of time until something like that would come up… I just wonder if rather “nonmusicians” make use of this company or what. I mean, you’re not much of a musician anymore if you decide to cover an old song while you actually need someone else to do this for you. I’ve heard the examples. Yes, they try to keep it close to the original, so you have to pump it up yourself. But you don’t have to be a musician to do that. Maybe that’s what a producer does :)

Keith, if you’re still reading this topic: Check out this one and maybe you remember what I told you about “Smokin’ Beats” at Evoke06 :)

Replay heaven is nothing compared to some of the karaoke companies out there… in fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were connected to a karaoke making studio ;)

:lol: Hahaha I can just picture the tv add. Little girls with pig tails and pink microphones growling “I want your soul!” :drummer: :panic:

Well, hiphop producers sample, that’s nothing new, it’s actually one of the main elements in production of hiphop beats. Nothing wrong with this, as long as the original artist/label give them permission to use a sample of his song. If Timbaland used this track without permission and now he even claims, it is his original work, I’m dissapointed…

Well… I bet Timbaland probably knows by now this action didn’t went unnoticed…
http://www.google.nl/blogsearch?hl=nl&…=N&start=50

http://soundslam.com/articles/news/news.ph…070118_timthief

it would be interesting to listen what Timbaland have to say about that…

That’s a poor show, I don’t buy anything by them, but I’m convinced that this is a blatant rip off, and my missus is very suprised.

Edit: removed broken link.

I spoke to David Whittaker (the writer of the Lazy Jones music) about this a few years ago, he told me it was used without permission and without credit, but when it contacted Zombie Nation about their track using his sample, they eventually came to an agreement that they would ‘buy-out’ the sample - effectively meaning that they, from that point in time, had legal ownership of the sample and could do whatever they wanted with it. So, to sum up - it was used without permission and credit, they paid a sum of money that David was happy with, no more legal problems.

and so is the way of modern pop music. im disappointed but not really shocked. there’s gotta be hundreds of popular tunes out there constructed the same way without credit. hell, ive even done it but its never left my desktop. its more or less my way of learning how to construct a song, cause im a noob with no tracker or production experience. timbaland… well who knows wht his deal was. he’s fully capable of original material but probably figured he wouldnt get caught.

i dont get it when you say timbaland is talented.
its just bucketloads of money that ‘get’ them good (ahem…say commercial) songs.

timbaland is as talented as my cats ass.

mlon

Well goodness, you and your cat could be rich! :P